Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Eh, both games are masterpieces as is. A remaster by modern Blizzard offers little benefits and has a high chance of just making them worse versions. I'd rather have a remake of a game that's nearly unplayable, like WC1.

Just remaster graphically, that's all, do not add any new shits like in D3.

I'm replaying a lot Diablo 2 these few weeks.... it's almost a month now and while i hate some parts of it (immunities and click every gold) i still love it, expecially now i finally built a working Javazon and a Blizzard MF Sorc to twink everything else.
    The happyness rush i had when i dropped a Titan's Revenge for my Java was amazing, something that i don't feel in D3 anymore because there is no loot hunt, just free hand outs. Spoiler, the amazon was wrecking shit without the Titan... now she is nuking shit!

But yeah, if D2 remaster is coming... just better sprites and maybe auto pick up gold, i will deal with the terrible drop rates, pot chugging and mindnumbing mephisto or lv85 areas MF runs than play a watered down version of D2.

Ps. Don't kill Gomule, please and keep a low price (looking at you Bw: R! 15€ is a good bargain).
    Here was a level 85 Enhancement Shaman. Now there is just an epitaph.

Did not read whole thread, but did not see this yet.

Seems alot are looking at D2 through some pretty thick rose colored glasses. (For its time) It was great, transformational, genre defining. Now, its mechanics are going to get old pretty fast, assuming this is just a graphical remaster, which imo it does not even need.

Im not advising not trying it.

All im saying is, play it if it interests you, and be prepared to get turned away by its old mechanics. Go in with realistic expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post

Seems alot are looking at D2 through some pretty thick rose colored glasses. (For its time) It was great, transformational, genre defining. Now, its mechanics are going to get old pretty fast, assuming this is just a graphical remaster, which imo it does not even need.

All im saying is, play it if it interests you, and be prepared to get turned away by its old mechanics. Go in with realistic expectations.
    iv played more d2 since d3 released and enjoyed it far more than d3. D3 was an embarrassment to the diablo name

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post

Rose tinted glasses is code word for *I have no idea wtf I am talking about, and no arguments*.

Diablo II as a first person shooter would be fun.
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    Diablo II as a first person shooter would be fun.
    its called hellgate london.

kinda unrelated but seeing diablo 1 had better graphics than diablo 2 was a shock to me. After the game i started i tried to find ways to increase visuals. I don't know but to this day I still think D1 had better graphics than D2. Finding my first ever green set item under a small rock in D2 however completely fixed my graphics problem with a thrill.

I wouldn't care if there is wc3 remaster as it is already fine I think but having a d2 remaster, thats what I would pre-order immediately.
    Still now we have sc1 remaster. I am pre-ordering it today after I get back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    its called hellgate london.
    Nooo... while Hellgate London was a fun game, Diablo II in first person 3D would be better I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    Nooo... while Hellgate London was a fun game, Diablo II in first person 3D would be better I think.
    it would be terrible considering some the abilitys made you jump around or spin and auto target, its a good idea but how about we get a AAA remake of hellgate, hellgate was the tits made by the dudes that did diablo 2, they just got shit for backing. THough its still a fun game to fire up.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I feel like WC3 holds up pretty well. D2 is absolute garbage graphically and UI wise now. Honestly, when I redownloaded it recently when they added it to b.net, I couldn't believe I stared at that shit for like 500hrs (at least).
    To be honest, D2 was not a pretty game even at the time.

Diablo 3 may look pretty but mechanic wise its fucking trash next to d2.
    D2, the game where if you put a skill point wrong you'd have to ditch the whole character because every skill point was permanent? With skill trees full of garbage and trap skills? The one where in order to move gear from one alt to another you'd have to open an instance, drop the gear on the ground and quickly swap toons praying that the server kept the instance open long enough and it didn't temp lock your account for switching too fast?

Seriously I think a lot of people don't remember D2 that well. Or only the good bits...

That's why IMO a full remake would probably be in order. To restore the game that's in your memory, not the one that actually was.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Stuff in D2 that needs rework imho:
    - throwing potions. they could aswell remove them lol
    - hotkeys management for skills; having everything tied to the mouse buttons is pretty annoying (but hey, we all played years with that)
    - the run/vigor bar.

Anyway i think that if they change even this little things , the feeling simply won't be the same. D2 aged well mechanincally, but UI improvements simply lacked. We'll see when it happens.
    Man, if you got out the list of all the things you'd need to tweak in D2 it'd be so long that you'd really be better off rebuilding it from the ground up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

it would be terrible considering some the abilitys made you jump around or spin and auto target, its a good idea but how about we get a AAA remake of hellgate, hellgate was the tits made by the dudes that did diablo 2, they just got shit for backing. THough its still a fun game to fire up.
    So change those abilities but damn... Diablo II in first person 3D with a modern game engine would sell like hotcakes.
    Last edited by Amalaric; 2017-07-04 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    D2, the game where if you put a skill point wrong you'd have to ditch the whole character because every skill point was permanent? With skill trees full of garbage and trap skills? The one where in order to move gear from one alt to another you'd have to open an instance, drop the gear on the ground and quickly swap toons praying that the server kept the instance open long enough and it didn't temp lock your account for switching too fast?

Seriously I think a lot of people don't remember D2 that well. Or only the good bits...
    After LoD there were very few trapskills. besides, you only did it wrong once. Im a fierce proponent of permanent builds. Yes I remember very well what D2 was like.

You can respec in D2 already, that doesn't need to be "added" in the remaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    You can respec in D2 already, that doesn't need to be "added" in the remaster.
    Wut? fuck.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Wut? fuck.....
    Yeah they added a thing where beating Den of Evil gives you a respec at Akara so you get 4 builds (your original one plus the three respecs) per character. This completely eliminates the terrible gameplay in D2 where you had to have a character rushed to <level> so you could equip your breastplate Enigma to have enough strength to wear the rest of your gear, which was inarguably bad, while retaining the "decision permanence" that people like for some reason (e.g. assuming you swap your character from your leveling build to endgame you only get 2 more changes to redo anything before you're stuck with it).

EDIT:

Actually you can very easily farm a respec apparently by doing a hell boss run and cubing up a respec item so never mind about the permanence thing, but you do at least have to have hell on farm before you get infinite respecs. I never played D2 after that added this shit I just read about it.
    Last edited by Mahourai; 2017-07-04 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    Yeah they added a thing where beating Den of Evil gives you a respec at Akara so you get 4 builds (your original one plus the three respecs) per character. This completely eliminates the terrible gameplay in D2 where you had to have a character rushed to <level> so you could equip your breastplate Enigma to have enough strength to wear the rest of your gear, which was inarguably bad, while retaining the "decision permanence" that people like for some reason (e.g. assuming you swap your character from your leveling build to endgame you only get 2 more changes to redo anything before you're stuck with it).

EDIT:

Actually you can very easily farm a respec apparently by doing a hell boss run and cubing up a respec item so never mind about the permanence thing, but you do at least have to have hell on farm before you get infinite respecs.
    still though, infinite is not okay...

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    To be honest, D2 was not a pretty game even at the time.

That's why IMO a full remake would probably be in order. To restore the game that's in your memory, not the one that actually was.

D2 the game where there is respec tokens? D2 the game where you can build many different trees that work and arnt forced to choose between 1 of 3 becuase blizzard said players were to retarded to figure out how to skill? Mule parking was a thing, loot xfer was never a problem.

One would think you havnt kept up with the patches and never played to any success. I never had an issue swapping gear to a mule, nor did i respecing after the tokens were added, nor did i theorycrafting character trees.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    still though, infinite is not okay...
    its far from infinite, the tokens cost and were not thrown around like water. They went for some solid forum gold if you farmed enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't see much point in a D2 remaster, the game is very playable as is, and I still play it as is.

The only thing the game would really benefit from is the current Blizzard App integration so your account doesn't get deleted whenever you don't play for awhile and you can drop in and out of friend games easier. Perhaps a shared stash so you don't have to do the awkward muling and hope your game doesn't quit on you when you change character.