Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Since you don't know what race or racism means, I suggest you keep out of threads concerning them so as to prevent people seeing just how clueless you are.
    Today I learned at MMO-C that a white European, blonde hair and blue eyes is the same race as a Persian person with dark skin, black hair and brown eyes, simply because they believe in the same religion.

Thanks for enlightening us with such riveting information!

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    As it should. People need to be made aware of what is coming on the horizon via cultural enrichment.

Quote Originally Posted by LonerStoner View Post
    As it should. People need to be made aware of what is coming on the horizon via cultural enrichment.
    I concur 100% with this poignant statement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Personally too many little things counts as a terror attack. 1 guy kills 3 people, is barely a terrorist attack. It deserves coverage on par with the Bronx Hospital shooting. Now a bomb goes off at a concert, that deserves a lot more coverage. The type of attack and carnage should determine the amount coverage.

Plus, with all the different attacks we have, it gets confusing. Was Dylan roof a Hate crime or a terrorist attack? The Orlando shooting sure seem like a terrorist attack, but it was more billed as a hate crime. Hate crimes are so yesterday, so that's why they get less coverage. Terrorist attacks are all the rage now.
    Coverage is a reward and an incentive to them. Psychologists have said over and over again that the news coverage simply feeds these nutjobs to do more and more attacks. The whole point of terrorism is to inflict panic, what better way to do it than to have every news station around the globe pipe hours upon hours of fear into the people's homes.

They shouldn't get 'a lot more coverage' at all, they should barely get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Today I learned at MMO-C that a white European, blonde hair and blue eyes is the same race as a Persian person with dark skin, black hair and brown eyes, simply because they believe in the same religion.

If you want to dispute the fucking dictionary on what a word means, then by all means dispute it.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Ah the independent, paragon of intellectual honesty. The article doesn't even link anything about the study, who carried it out or give you any method of checking it yourself.

There's so many mitigating factors here. Off the top of my head: what else was in the news at the time, how were the attacks carried out, what was the demographic of the victims, is there correlation to other stories, what counts as terrorism.

I'd bet the link they're suggesting does exist, fear and self affirmation sell, but their bullshit headline is unsupported and designed to push their agenda with little regard for the truth.
    Let's define "media coverage" here. For example, CNN coverage of Muslim Terrorism is going to differ significantly from Fox News coverage. This is why studies are typically useless in conversations like this, since people like the OP just take the 1,000,000mile view of things and then attribute that as some blanket universal truth, without accounting for any of the details or nuances of the situation (if the study bothered to include, or even do it themselves -- read as: gender wage gap). In this case, that just because there is media coverage of something, it's inherently bad and people are OMGOMGOMG!-racists.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to dispute the fucking dictionary on what a word means, then by all means dispute it.
    Ah yes, the typical waffling of using the strict definition or the implied context of a word, based upon how it supports your agenda tactic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Muslim isn't a race
    Racism typically includes more than just the "race". Culture, religion, ethnicity, etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post

Going with the overloaded, and somewhat obfuscated, definition 1.3: A group or set of people or things with a common feature or features; one could even say something silly as "people wearing the same type of shoes belong to the same race", considering the broad use of "common feature".

Almost seems like a handful of people intentionally muddy the water to push the narrative of "race is a social construct" :^)

generally speaking you cant convert to a race.

Deleted
    That just means the Islamic terrorists do it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hif View Post
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7820726.html

Muslims carried out just 12.4 per cent of attacks in the US but received 41.4 per cent of news coverage

That is an interesting statistic. Fits into the idea of the "others" being responsible for everything.
    And which definition of "terrorist attack" was used? Which years were taken for this little survey? I bet the statistics used were somehow cherrypicked to support the desired outcome.

We should also say that the latest attacks carried out by radicals were particularly gruesome; https://www.google.nl/search?newwind...k1.ZMchMPTDXf0

https://www.google.nl/search?q=manch...SSmP1_bNkqLiM:

So, no wonder they get more media attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Racism typically includes more than just the "race". Culture, religion, ethnicity, etc.
    Of course you're racist when someone puts a bomb in your plane / bus or drives over with a truck. Everybody should be like that but most people have no brain and think that won't happen to them

Deleted
    You don't know what extreme 'leftist' is if you think this is true.

Code:
    race
    noun

1Each of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics.
        ‘people of all races, colours, and creeds’

1.1mass noun The fact or condition of belonging to a racial division or group; the qualities or characteristics associated with this.

1.2 A group of people sharing the same culture, history, language, etc.; an ethnic group.
    ‘we Scots were a bloodthirsty race then’
    1.3 A group or set of people or things with a common feature or features.
    ‘the upper classes thought of themselves as a race apart’
    Code:
    racism
    noun
    mass noun

1Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
        ‘a programme to combat racism’

1.1 The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
        ‘theories of racism’
    Since you don't know what race or racism means, I suggest you keep out of threads concerning them so as to prevent people seeing just how clueless you are.
    Huh? You link me something describing race, and muslim can in no way be interpreted as a race judging by the text you just linked.

Or do you need some mental gymnastics again to make it fit your narrative?

Quote Originally Posted by Hif View Post
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7820726.html

Muslims carried out just 12.4 per cent of attacks in the US but received 41.4 per cent of news coverage

That is an interesting statistic. Fits into the idea of the "others" being responsible for everything.
    That's a pretty fucking high number considering they only represent 1% of the population. Imagine if that population was 10% or higher...

So people who accuse the broad use of racism as a technicality are the ones using a technicality to belittle the "racism sells" comment.

Typical.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I'm glad you cleared that up. Now i can sue for all of the defamatory actions made against Christians

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post
    Ah yes, the typical waffling of using the strict definition or the implied context of a word, based upon how it supports your agenda tactic.
    I don't have an agenda. You are trying to dispute the meaning of a word, the meaning is right there, we have dictionaries for a reason. If you want to dispute the definitions then by all means contact the writers of the dictionary. I'm not here to satisfy your thoughts, I don't care about what you think something means.
    Speciation Is Gradual

I think part of it is because it's easier to tell it's terrorism when it's a Muslim. Yelling allahu Akbar, wearing bomb vests, using bombs, etc. makes it pretty clear cut. When it's someone else that doesn't use the usual terrorism methods, it takes longer to make that call.

Coverage is a reward and an incentive to them. Psychologists have said over and over again that the news coverage simply feeds these nutjobs to do more and more attacks. The whole point of terrorism is to inflict panic, what better way to do it than to have every news station around the globe pipe hours upon hours of fear into the people's homes.

They shouldn't get 'a lot more coverage' at all, they should barely get any.
    Well, that may be a fair and true statement. But in context to what the article is complaining about, I don't think a 1 killed 1 wounded attack, which might be little more than a hate crime or just a crazy guy killing certain types of people, is worth giving the same amount of coverage as a group blowing up things or driving a car into a crowd of people. I personally don't see a Dylan roof as a terrorost attack. He was a one off nut job. Not a member of a group that is help bent on world domination and destruction. So I understand why the media may have giving it less coverage, though it got plenty in my book

Granted the media loves a juicy story to sell, so they are incentivized to run a story as much and as long as possible, even when the story should get little limelight.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2017-07-04 at 03:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Furell View Post
    Huh? You link me something describing race, and muslim can in no way be interpreted as a race judging by the text you just linked.

Or do you need some mental gymnastics again to make it fit your narrative?
    1.2 A group of people sharing the same culture, history, language, etc.; an ethnic group.

Are you telling me that Islamic culture does not exist?
    Speciation Is Gradual

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    This just in, most people are actually racist but won't admit it. More news at 11.
    Aren't you more racist when there's something interesting going on with a certain group, whether good or bad, but you deliberately choose to not report it? In my books that's being more racist, be it positive or negative. If there's an interesting story being told, why not publish it? 10 people dead by a muslim truck in my neighbourhood again or a weird lunatic shooting 10 people down then kills himself, equally as sad of a story but I'm not as interested in reading articles about that than I am at reading about the muslim truck. Nothing racist, just more interest. And as much as you communists hate a capitalist market working as intended, if there is more interest in a certain article, the market will inevitably go that way and thus publish more.

Is that racist? No. It's not.