Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Then I would have to ask, what's an example of an ARPG grind that's not monotonous? How does it differ from D3? What would you remove from D3 so that it would no longer be monotonous?
    It's basically impossible, regardless of what they say. The nature of the game is grinding repetitively for loot. If you can get loot without grinding, then you just stop playing. You "beat" it, no reason to continue. And whatever you're doing repetitively is going to get monotonous, especially single-player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by devla View Post
    Doesn't it feel shitty that you have 3-4 skills taken by pets, 1 by a resource generator and you only really have 1 slot left for a curse or utility?
    Well, you could just go for one of two non-pet sets instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

7+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's basically impossible, regardless of what they say. The nature of the game is grinding repetitively for loot. If you can get loot without grinding, then you just stop playing. You "beat" it, no reason to continue. And whatever you're doing repetitively is going to get monotonous, especially single-player.
    Eventually everything becomes stale, but by increasing diversity, the effects can be reduced. D3 right now, is nothing but Rifts. the story mode has become irrelevant by design. Thats not good design.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Eventually everything becomes stale, but by increasing diversity, the effects can be reduced. D3 right now, is nothing but Rifts. the story mode has become irrelevant by design. Thats not good design.
    The only reason story mode is "irrelevant" is because GRifts are faster. In any system, something's gonna be the fastest way to progress, or it'll be easier, or some other factor, and that method will become the one everyone uses as a result.

Rifts are already randomized and far more "diverse" than anything Diablo 2 offered.

The only reason story mode is "irrelevant" is because GRifts are faster.
    It's not only that. GRs are the best XP source. For items, it's debatable if speedrunning t13 or lower GRs is more effective - GRs are completed faster, but T13 rifts can drop stuff from every single mob.

Problem is, endgame progression is not items but Paragons and Legendary gems. For Paragons you need XP - GRs are the best source for it since the scaling goes well beyond T13. Legendary gems are exclusively improved via GRs.

It's not faster. It's literally the only endgame. I agree fully with the D2 snippet though. People seem to forget that D2 endgame were the same runs over and over, the thing that changed was that any run may have been dropping that rare thing, while in D3 you're left with small sidegrades most people don't care about as they're not really needed.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bone storm inarius is probably the most powerful necro build.
    Unbelievably Tanky, tons of damage, and with a coupe tweaks, decent group play.

Rifts are already randomized and far more "diverse" than anything Diablo 2 offered.

Absolutely not. This is so far from the truth. See, way different views of what are and what aren't good game mechanics. D3 did it wrong. I spent 6 years without looking at other games in D2, I'm fairly certain I prefer D2 over D3 any day. And yeah, after 6 years of hardcore selffound, things do get stale, because there's only so much you can do in a game before you run out, but D3 only has one thing to do.

On another note; I say story mode is irrelevant and you respond with; "yeah because XP". That's not a rebuttal, that's a reinforcement of what I'm saying. It does not matter why, it matter THAT. There is only one optimal way to play the game and it's like putting a drill to your skull and just keep drilling.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2017-07-04 at 07:35 PM.

lovin it.
    The only complain i have so far, is that i really want a Necromancer class on WoW right now. i mean yeah, we got DKs, but they are not the same.

If DH stole a Warlock Spec and become a class. i can dream about a Necromancer class stealin sum DK shit.

Anyway, back to D3. i don't like how none of our skills actually uses our equipped weapon. even if we have a scythe equipped, we just summon another scythe when using scythe skills because reasons.

1.Runs around with Scythe on my hands
    2.OH AN ENEMY!
    3.Put my scythe in the back
    4.Summon a Blood/ice/wateveryoupicked Scythe
    5.Attack enemies with summoned scythe until they are dead
    6.Pick back the scythe from my back to my hands and go back to step 1

And i don't really like how Mages plays out, but thats fine because i just spec out of it.
    Signature was infraaaaaaaaaacted. Need a new one!

I don't get the fixation on "story mode". It's not like you played through the story in D2 either, you teleported to specific bosses and then left the game most of the time. You can do that just fine in D3 also if you really just want to feel like you're mixing things up - hell, adventure mode is just story mode maps anyway. So you're going to have to explain what the big difference there is.
    The fixation on it, is because subconsciously, it's a different kind of gameplay than just Mephi runs or Baal runs. It's a form of diversity. There's a reason why so many systems are in place in so many games to craft items, to obtain character progression, to advance as a whole. It's because if you only jump through hoops, it doesn't matter if the color of the hoop is red or green, your mind realizes it's just jumping through the same hoops. So they give the hoops the ability to fight back in various ways ans that's a form of diversity. To make sure it's not just hoops, they'll add squares. Diversity is the sum of its parts and as it is, Diablo 3 two parts. GR and Challenge Rifts (and potentially a few adventure modes to upgrade some gear early on).

I mostly like the necromancer, but there are a few things in each build that annoy me. Hope they do something about it... like mage spamming.

10+ Year Old Account
    This just sounds like you're saying, "Because I say so", though. There's nothing about D2 that offered you a way to "not jump through hoops".
    Just different hoops.

The big difference is that D2 was released in 2000, and D3 in 2012. The intervening 12 years of game development changed people's expectations, and what was trendsetting in 2000 was old hat in 2012, so despite D3 delivering an upgraded Diablo experience, it was seen as a big step back because it largely didn't reflect those intervening changes in the market, and was instead too similar to D2 in some respects.

It feels a bit like cheating, but I've been using this since level 30:
    -Bigass picture-
    It'll be hard to get rid of it for a while just because of the ancient property.

That said, I now look like this:
    https://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/.../hero/95336043

I can keep going non-stop, I have about ~3 to 4 Mages active at most times during Rifts, except for single target and everything dies almost instantly as far as I've gone, (I think I did Greater Rift Master to T2 sequentially now and I'll keep going as long as I don't feel threatened.

The main thing is though, I don't really feel a lack of AoE at the moment and the AoE damage will only grow as my gear expands. So, maybe it won't be an issue.
    You've been using it since level 30 despite the Gem of Ease that allows it to be used at level 1? Well, ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    You've been using it since level 30 despite the Gem of Ease that allows it to be used at level 1? Well, ok.
    Wait, it allows the weapon to be used at lvl 1 as well? Irony
    Think I misread it oO

- - - Updated - - -

Just different hoops.

The big difference is that D2 was released in 2000, and D3 in 2012. The intervening 12 years of game development changed people's expectations, and what was trendsetting in 2000 was old hat in 2012, so despite D3 delivering an upgraded Diablo experience, it was seen as a big step back because it largely didn't reflect those intervening changes in the market, and was instead too similar to D2 in some respects.
    Oh yeah, my mind didn't adapt, that's what it is. Jezus fucking christ. D3 is the furthest-away-from-D2 experience you can get. Even PoE is more D2.

-Anyway; The fact is, I'm running GR/Rifts from A to Z. Yay for diversity.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2017-07-05 at 08:09 AM.

OK, stop with the D2 vs D3 thing. The thread is about the D3 Necro.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Wait, it allows the weapon to be used at lvl 1 as well? Irony
    Think I misread it oO
    What else did you think the gem's level 25 effect was?

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    OK, stop with the D2 vs D3 thing. The thread is about the D3 Necro.
    Fair.

I for one will be rolling a Necro on the next season start. I really like how it plays and I like the build that I'm using, which seems to deviate at least marginally from most other builds, though I haven't been playing lately to preserve myself for the new season. I feel it progresses a lot faster into higher Tiers of GR, due to the inbuilt defense, compared to a few other classes and overall it's definitely my playstyle.

What else did you think the gem's level 25 effect was?
    Use the gem from lvl1

Use the gem from lvl1
    I haven't played D3 in a couple of years, but I'm pretty sure no gem has a level req.

I haven't played D3 in a couple of years, but I'm pretty sure no gem has a level req.
    Rank 25 bonus: both gem and item can be used at any character level instead of 70 only.

I missed the latter, apparently.

No hate though, I just didn't see it and was happy with my -40 lvlreq on the ancient haha

Im addicted to the Inarius set, is so fun to play and watch. Beautiful.
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.