Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post

Then all child rearing is brainwashing according to you. Every parent uses some sort of pressure and/or threats to get their kid to obey when they do not conform.
    If the parent refused to let the child think for themselves, yes i would consider that brainwashing. Especially if the thought is not actually harmful.

You still get teens brainwashing into extremist groups too, even if they didnt start out that way. Sometimes they get out, other times they dont and keep on being hateful.

- - - Updated - - -

There is absolutely no scientific support for it.
    Well, that'll surprise a lot of psychologists and sociologists and people familiar with cults.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is absolutely no scientific support for it.
    There is controversy over the word "brainwashing" but the phenomenon is known by many different terms and the behaviors associated with it are well documented.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

15+ Year Old Account
    Brainwashing is a concept that is about is forcing someone to adopt radically different beliefs than they originally had, not applicable in child rearing as you can raise them to have a specific belief without forcing them and kids do not really have any established beliefs.

You can't really brainwash someone who has no beliefs to start with, like kids.

- - - Updated - - -

Then all child rearing is brainwashing according to you. Every parent uses some sort of pressure and/or threats to get their kid to obey when they do not conform.
    If you can't see the difference between upbringing and being conditioned to believe something I don't know what to say

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    There is controversy over the word "brainwashing" but the phenomenon is known by many different terms and the behaviors associated with it are well documented.
    Hence I changed my wording to metal conditioning.
    Last edited by Firatha; 2017-07-04 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Well, that'll surprise a lot of psychologists and sociologists and people familiar with cults.
    No, since there is no support that it actually is a thing. APA rejects it.

15+ Year Old Account
    You repeating that does not make it true look under mental conditioning not "brainwashing"
    Last edited by Firatha; 2017-07-04 at 11:02 PM.

So Canada is funding terrorist now?

10 million can fund a lot of Allahu Kkbar ops.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Charge a 15 year-old with war crimes and then proceed to torture a confession out of him? Seems legit.
    15 year olds can commit war crimes as much as a 30 year old. No telling how many below 18 kids have been fighting in the middle east.

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    You repeating that does not make it true look under metal conditioning not "brainwashing"
    "Before primer and paint will adhere properly to a metal surface, it must be etched. Etching is a process that removes oxidation and microscopically roughens the surface. The accepted practice is to use a phosphoric acid etch. However, many commercial process use an alkaline etch on aluminum then follow up with an acid etch to de-smut the surface. The risk of using an alkaline etch is that the alkaline salts will be left behind causing corrosion sites to develop. In any case, the goal is to remove oxidation and roughen the surface.

Another conditioning step is often done on aircraft aluminum. This step is a chromate conversion coating often called Alodine, although this is a trade name. The conversion coating helps protect the aluminum from corrosion in the field, and it also helps with paint adhesion."

What does this even have to do with what's being discussed?

10+ Year Old Account
    They never outright rejected it. They stated that more research needed to be done especially on how to classify it and which fields of study it would be appropriate in. They never once said it doesn't exist.

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

15+ Year Old Account
    "Before primer and paint will adhere properly to a metal surface, it must be etched. Etching is a process that removes oxidation and microscopically roughens the surface. The accepted practice is to use a phosphoric acid etch. However, many commercial process use an alkaline etch on aluminum then follow up with an acid etch to de-smut the surface. The risk of using an alkaline etch is that the alkaline salts will be left behind causing corrosion sites to develop. In any case, the goal is to remove oxidation and roughen the surface.

Another conditioning step is often done on aircraft aluminum. This step is a chromate conversion coating often called Alodine, although this is a trade name. The conversion coating helps protect the aluminum from corrosion in the field, and it also helps with paint adhesion."

What does this even have to do with what's being discussed?
    Ok go fucking troll some other thread fuck right off.

Quote Originally Posted by dvaz View Post
    So Canada is funding terrorist now?

10 million can fund a lot of Allahu Kkbar ops.
    It's what happens when you violate human rights. Don't like it? Tell the Canadian government to stop ignoring human rights and torturing people.

Lol @ the people who stopped reading at ''muh terrorist got money'' and don't know that this guy was 15 at the time, that he was imprisoned without trial and tortured, and that there's no real evidence of him actually doing the deed apart from a confession gotten under duress, which isn't counted as reliable by any sane person since the freaking Middle Ages. Also he was hardly shooting up random people, he allegedly killed a soldier part of a squad which stormed the hideout he was in. Soldiers die in war, shockingly enough.

The guy got his human rights violated as a kid. I'm not sure if he should have gotten money, but an apology is very much deserved.

They never outright rejected it. They stated that more research needed to be done especially on how to classify it and which fields of study it would be appropriate in. They never once said it doesn't exist.
    Seems more like a convenient excuse to diminish personal responsibility in an act. Blame someone else, say that you were brainwashed. Divert blame to someone not you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    Ok go fucking troll some other thread fuck right off.
    How is that trolling?

10+ Year Old Account
    Freighter, you knew what he meant. Stop being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse.

Its mental conditioning. Feel free to be pedantic somewhere else.

Freighter, you knew what he meant. Stop being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse.

Its mental conditioning. Feel free to be pedantic somewhere else.
    I selected the text and clicked "search google for" and that's what came up. That's no fault of mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    I selected the word and clicked "search google for" and that's what came up.
    You knew what he meant. A typo is a typo, and you were just being a smarty pants about it. Stop it

You knew what he meant. A typo is a typo, and you were just being a smarty pants about it. Stop it
    No, I didn't know what he meant. I have never heard of mental conditioning nor metal conditioning prior to this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems more like a convenient excuse to diminish personal responsibility in an act. Blame someone else, say that you were brainwashed. Divert blame to someone not you.
    Except people who are actually brainwashed don't realize they are without therapy. Also you are trying to argue hypotheticals without knowing the finer details in this field unless I'm assuming wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I didn't know what he meant. I have never heard of mental conditioning nor metal conditioning prior to this.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_conditioning

Except people who are actually brainwashed don't realize they are without therapy. Also you are trying to argue hypotheticals without knowing the finer details in this field unless I'm assuming wrong.
    Show me something that supports that it works. All I can find is that it does not work.

We've got a lot of ultra religious in the US and none of them are brainwashed. Religion isn't brainwashing, it's an accepted belief system in your culture.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland