10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you thank you!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, grats on leveling up, I mean birthday, lol.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Oh, grats on leveling up, I mean birthday, lol.
    Thanks.

Hoping this point in maturity will help. I've really been trying to respec for maturity and desire to better myself, it's tough though. Really expensive respecs nowadays! =/
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thing is gooood.
    http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/p...stickee-monkee
    Expensive beer for America Day.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thing is gooood.
    http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/p...stickee-monkee
    Expensive beer for America Day.
    I FUCKING LOVE STICKEE MONKEE/FIRESTONE WALKER!!!!

"something not caps so mmo-champ doesn't wreck me."
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting to drive a 640 hp Cadillac CTS-V today thanks to my dad.

OooOOOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOOOOOO
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Is that a Baltimora reference?
    Nope. Just my way of showing oooos and ahhhhs.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something slightly bothering me, but I really wonder if people know that they're technically not writing it correctly when they put 1080p, or what the p really means. It should be vertical pixel count / vertical refresh rate p/i depending on scan. So 1080/60p

10+ Year Old Account
    It's probably a 120Hz panel advertised as "240Hz super smooth video boost whatever", there are no UHD TVs with actual 240Hz panels.

And yeah they do this to prevent judder from 3:2 pull-down.

3:2 pull-down:

This is the common way of displaying a 24 fps (23.976 actually) source in a 60Hz display, (2+3)/2 = 2.5, 2.5*24=60.

This causes motion problems because you're not displaying each frame for the right amount of time, half of them will be 50% longer.

With 120Hz you can just repeat each frame 5 times in a row which fixes the judder issues.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2017-07-12 at 07:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with that. The 1080p seems to be talking about the field definition: you can have 1080p or 1080i, the later would have half the resolution of the former.

Refresh rate probably does need to be specified, but '60Hz' has been the norm since LCDs took off 20 years ago so it's sort of implied and you can probably assume unless somebody specifies otherwise. In the case where you'd want to be specific you'd say 1080p/60 or 1080i/60: it's the field that's being interlaced, not the refresh rate.

There's also that issue of frame rate vs refresh rate. My television in 240Hz but you can't feed it a refresh rate that high. If you pump in a uhd signal at 60fps it'll just draw each frame 4 times consecutively, at 24fps it'll do each one 10 times: it's a strategy to help with ghosting and other visual artifacts…or something
    The reason for the refresh rate was actually because back in the day, refresh rate was tied to AC power rate. It's why TVs in EU were 50Hz refresh rate and US and Asia was 60Hz due to 230V/50Hz vs 120V/60Hz (or 100V/60Hz in Japan). The numbers being used was derived for video format during CRT times though. Interlacing and progressive scanning was tied to refresh rate because of how CRTs were displayed. Whether it'd be scanned progressively from top down left right (or was it right left, forgot) versus scanning every other pixel and then scan the next set at the next refresh.

While technically true that this was ancient the terminology still is used for file formats for video. It's the best way to distinguish what it is for video file formats and then adjust your settings accordingly.

As mentioned by Artorius, you kind of have to look at the spec sheet for refresh rate. Most of them do show the native refresh rate. I'm pretty sure Sony and Samsung typically lists the native in their spec sheet.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's something that I've seen long time ago. Stuff like in manuals would be the ones you'd see it. As noted before it's more or less on the lines of ancient and forgotten. The one below is about a decade or more ago. Times changed.
    https://docs.sony.com/release/specs/BDPS301_mksp.pdf

As for naming, 1080p sort of tells you about the resolution. Resolution being only 1080 vertical and nothing about the horizontal. P represents the scanning type which most people have no idea wtf it is. Problem saying 1080p is it could be 2560x1080 for example, and some people do confuse them. Saying HD, UHD, QHD, FHD, etc are more accurate than saying 720p, 2160p, 1440p and 1080p respectively.

- - - Updated - - -

In other news, Epyc seems really really good aside from the terrible name.
    Oddly getting surprisingly bored at a lot of hardware news lately. From phones to CPUs / GPUs. Still only thing I remain looking forward to is monitor stuff.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2017-07-12 at 02:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In other news, Epyc seems really really good aside from the terrible name.
    Oddly getting surprisingly bored at a lot of hardware news lately. From phones to CPUs / GPUs. Still only thing I remain looking forward to is monitor stuff.
    I've been reading more about software crap than hardware this year I think, including tangible differences between GCC and Clang, different implementations of the standard C library (musl is very interesting), different init systems like Runit and OpenRC, different I/O and CPU schedulers like BFQ and MuQSS, how ULE compares to CFS, how the other Unices compare to Linux nowadays (mainly FreeBSD) and some more irrelevant things regarding window managers, display servers, etc.

It's nice to get some fresh air, the more you read and experiment with the most you find out about things you don't know enough yet. But I'm in the electrical engineering field and mostly everything I study and do is related to hardware, electronics and electrical systems, that might not be interesting to read if you're more related to software like a computer scientist or software engineer =p

Anyway, I've also been reading about quantum computers (very superficially) and GPU architecture, although I'm confident that I can improve a lot in this regard. I guess I also kept myself busy reading about ISAs and writing some assembly code, having to design a microcontroller made me learn more about them than I thought I would.

What I'm tired of are clueless "computer enthusiasts" who don't know anything at all about what they're talking about and argue endlessly about trivial or uninteresting superficial things. That's probably why I can't really make myself post in the computer forums that often anymore.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2017-07-12 at 07:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I genuinely can't stop laughing at their slides. While most of it is true, the most hilarious part is that even then despite all the flaws EPYC is still something they literally have no way of dealing with in the short term. AMD is offering much, much better perf/$. Better perf/watt, and in most cases even better absolute performance.

This is seriously retarded, I don't even think the word "disruptive" is enough at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I have no idea what Intel is thinking right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just got fired from the best company I've ever worked for.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Sorry to hear that mate :/

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    What I'm tired of are clueless "computer enthusiasts" who don't know anything at all about what they're talking about and argue endlessly about trivial or uninteresting superficial things. That's probably why I can't really make myself post in the computer forums that often anymore.
    One of the reasons that I stopped posting there, and one of the contributors to me no longer being a mod (the others being that I thought I was a poor choice for it and time commitment) was that I reached a point that I either no longer felt as though I had anything to say or I was just repeating myself over and over.

I am still interested in the things, but I don't have the same drive to talk about it. I'd rather learn for me and if someone asks IRL or elsewhere, I will opine.
    Otherwise, on computer forums people are often already have prejudice and are looking to convince but not open to be convinced.
    Which is why everyone has decided that AMD just suck and everyone who disagrees is an AMD fanboy. For instance :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I am sorry to hear it. I hope you'll rebound.

my 2500k is going to be due for an upgrade in a year or so. Really want to do a mini-itx build this time, I love the clean and minimalist aesthetic of them, thinking of getting a arc mini. I haven't had interest in computer stuff in a long time (used to be obsessed with this type of stuff about 5 years ago), so this is at least somewhat exciting.
    Last edited by aisatsana; 2017-07-17 at 03:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get the feeling I'll be stuck with the 560 for a while. Not willing to buy any card at these overinflated prices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) concert was amazing. Wonderful message of spreading love was present. Fantastic fantastic show.
    "A flower.