Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    People in jail for marijuana usually aren't tortured and still have rights.

Though people shouldn't be in jail for marijuana, but that's another topic entirely.
    It's one of many comparisons you can make. I'm not trying to talk about Marijuana directly but it's a good example. While they might not be "tortured" in the same way. You don't think them being put in prison for as long, or longer than a terrorist that killed U.S soldiers makes sense right? Then add the fact that the terrorist is getting $8 Million on top of going free, when people in prison for drugs get out and can't even get a job because of the record.

Like I said, "Freedom" should be more than enough considering what he did.
    Last edited by nyc81991; 2017-07-05 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    I'm not in a position to judge this person since I don't know their life story but I don't think the guy should be getting $8 Million. Regardless of whether he was just a brainwashed 15 year old, he killed soldiers in war for a terrorist group. Freedom seems more than generous considering that.

There are literally people in jail for as long if not longer for selling Marijuana which has never killed anyone and can be used as a medicine. I don't see them getting millions of $ when they get out of prison for a harmless crime that shouldn't be a crime. Hell even selling hard drugs that can kill people doesn't seem even close to as bad as being a terrorist that has killed U.S soldiers.
    The bolded part is something we are not 100% sure on. He confessed under torture during his time in Gitmo, now he's claiming otherwise. That $8million is because actual courts can't find him guilty with the current evidence and so its restitution for the torture. Do you see the common denominator here?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

It's one of many comparisons you can make. I'm not trying to talk about Marijuana directly but it's a good example. While they might not be "tortured" in the same way. You don't think being put in prison for as long, or longer than a terrorist that killed U.S soldiers makes sense right? Then add the fact that the terrorist is getting $8 Million on top of going free, when people in prison for drugs get out and can't even get a job because of the record.

Like I said, "Freedom" should be more than enough considering what he did.
    If killing a soldier in a war zone is such an awful crime then what does that mean for all the civilians the US has killed? Should the people responsible for those civilian deaths be locked up and tortured with no rights?

And we don't even know if he did it. His confession was coerced through torture. It's inadmissible in court.

Quote Originally Posted by draganid View Post
    considering he was only 15 when it happened and pretty much a child soldier, who knows what kind of shit his head was filled with about the west right from a young age. wasnt really his fault and im sure hes had plenty of time to think about it. now hopefully he doesnt turn around and blow up west edmonton mall or something
    You can say the same about almost any extremist. So if a 15 year old white guy went around killing people in the US because of their religion or race they shouldn't face punishment if it was how they were raised? Bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    You can say the same about almost any extremist. So if a 15 year old white guy went around killing people in the US because of their religion or race they shouldn't face punishment if it was how they were raised? Bullshit.
    They should be tried in a court as a child. They shouldn't be locked in a prison with no rights and then tortured until they confess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I think part of the issue is that they don't actually know if he did it, and the circumstances of interrogation basically screwed the jury pooch. It's possibly they imprisoned the wrong person, but now they can't tell because of the situation.
    Which is why I argued against Gitmo and indefinite detention years ago while Bush was still president. Doesn't matter where they're from, they should be tried under a court of law.

Now we're seeing what happens when you don't follow the laws of justice. You have someone you can't technically try or determine guilt, and therefore you have to assume innocence. Are we letting go a murderer or an innocent man? Well, because we didn't follow the law, we'll never know.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    If you are big enough to pick up a gun and point it at another human and attempt to end their life, you can deal with the consequences. regardless of age.
    I don't think ive agreed with anything on this forum as much as I agree with this.

Fuck this guy and fuck his terrorist sympathizers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    Torturing child soldiers for confessions. Nice.

Try to look past your biases for just a moment and put yourself in the guy's shoes Americans.
    Just so we are clear to everyone saying "Merica, is evil, torture children blah blah"... Article states Canadian agents "tortured", extracted a confession, and passed along the information to the US. Who then charged him.

Try actually reading.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    I don't think ive agreed with anything on this forum as much as I agree with this.

That's ignoring how the person got there. Children and young people can be influenced very easily. It's not so simple "IF YOU CAN PICK UP A GUN AND TRY TO END THEIR LIFE YOU CAN DEAL WITH THE CONSEQUENCES" It's not nuanced.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post

So, you would be ok with the government labeling you a terrorist and having all your rights stripped from you and being tortured until you confessed to something you may not have even done? Because that's what you're endorsing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Just so we are clear to everyone saying "Merica, is evil, torture children blah blah"... Article states Canadian agents "tortured", extracted a confession, and passed along the information to the US. Who then charged him.

Try actually reading.
    It's the Americans in this thread saying to torture him/kill him some more though since he's obviously a 'terrorist'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    It's the idiots in this thread saying to torture him/kill him some more though since he's obviously a 'terrorist'.
    FTFY

A person's opinion doesn't reflect across the whole of their country.
    While it's clear that his age may have played a role in his radicalization, it doesn't excuse his actions. That being sad, he was only sentenced to 10 years, I get the impression that he was given a fair shake at a trial. He's served time, and has possibly made amends. Giving him 8 million though... He should be happy with just being alive, I don't mean that in the threatening kind of way, it's meant that he was lucky to be captured and not just killed seeing as he was an armed combatant at the moment of his capture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    This guy also seems to know better than you and never says that it's impossible or that government is not forced to pay if the judiciary orders them to.
    You appear to have just grabbed a random link that looked relevant and pasted it in without reading it, because that article has nothing to do with anything in this discussion. It talks about the jurisdictional issues with suing the federal government in a provincial court.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Was he a Canadian citizen that just happened to be at a terrorist compound or is this some local kid that Canada gave refugee status to?
    Canadian citizen (he was born here) who was taken from Canada by his parents to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    >Kills a Medic
    No admissible evidence of that claim. The claim that Khadr threw the grenade is contradicted by the original after action report which states "the person who threw a grenade that killed Sgt. 1st Class Christopher J. Speer also died in the firefight".

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    You appear to have just grabbed a random link that looked relevant and pasted it in without reading it, because that article has nothing to do with anything in this discussion. It talks about the jurisdictional issues with suing the federal government in a provincial court.

Canadian citizen (he was born here) who was taken from Canada by his parents to Iraq and Afghanistan.

No admissible evidence of that claim. The claim that Khadr threw the grenade is contradicted by the original after action report which states "the person who threw a grenade that killed Sgt. 1st Class Christopher J. Speer also died in the firefight".
    Where are his parents, are they terrorists?

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    The point is that the guy would have just said it if you couldn't sue the government like the person I quote claimed.

Deleted
    There are literally people in jail for as long if not longer for selling Marijuana which has never killed anyone and can be used as a medicine. I don't see them getting millions of $ when they get out of prison for a harmless crime that shouldn't be a crime. Hell even selling hard drugs that can kill people doesn't seem even close to as bad as being a terrorist that has killed U.S soldiers.
    Lets see, the drug dealers get there day in a curt, this guy you are so sure is a terrorist did not get his day in the curt before he was imprisoned for years......

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    They can if they want to.
    But they do not want to because they are not a banana republic

Besides if the law seems arbitrarily applied i suspect obedience becomes arbitrary as well, a country should uphold at least its own laws

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Where are his parents, are they terrorists?
    His Father, Ahmed Khadr, was killed in the incident where Omar was captured. He was very probably al-Qaeda and is known to have been associated with Osama bin Laden.

Unsure about his mother.

He also has 3 living brothers (2 Canadian citizens, 3rd probably is), Abdurahman, Abdullah, and a third I can't find a name for (and a 4th, Ibrahim, who died late 80s from something mundane), and two sisters, Zaynab, and a second I can't find a name for.

According to the New York Times, Abdurahman has done work for the CIA. He currently lives in Toronto.

Abdullah has been accused by the US government of dealing weapons for al-Qaeda and others, however their attempts to have him extradited were rejected by every court that heard the matter, which suggests their case doesn't hold water.

Zaynab appears to be questionable, though there isn't any evidence of her doing anything illegal. She was apparently arrested in Turkey last year, though that doesn't mean much given the state of that country.
    Last edited by Masark; 2017-07-05 at 05:05 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    You can't enforce payment from them. They can basically tell you to fuck off and there's nothing you can do about it. If a government pays, it's because they want to, not because they have to.
    Countries like Canada have court systems that hold everyone accountable, even governments. I really can't believe you actually think its impossible to sue the government...

Ka-ching!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland