Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Is Ethereum yet another new cryptocurrency?
    Not new, it's been around about just as much as Bitcoin. Bitcoin is just not so profitable right now, so people are shifting to other things.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Why the hell are these currencies worth anything to anyone?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    Depends on which one you're referring to.

Bitcoin is worth because people think it is. It offers a nation-less currency (See also: Venezuela). It's extremely volatile because of that, but people make tons of money (and lose tons too). It's basically a stock market.

Ethereum and a few others actually have business backing and are used for goods and services. Which 'technically' no different that BTC, it has backing in that people will want to use it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    For the same reason real money has any value. My brother is making 3000+ usd a month just trading different cryptos with barely any effort. I laugh at people that think cryptocurrencies are some make-believe crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Shit bro i got some of those too

Nice copy paste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syld View Post
    For the same reason real money has any value. My brother is making 3000+ usd a month just trading different cryptos with barely any effort. I laugh at people that think cryptocurrencies are some make-believe crap.
    Thats... actually not true.

"real money" has value for a reason. Some of it is actually backed, and government has trust and value in it. It is a voucher for a valued item for trade. Bitcoin at least (and many others) have no value backing them, and are simply only valued because people expect it to. So.. it IS sort of make-believe.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The AMD Radeon RX 400/500 card owners won’t be too happy to see what the benchmark shows will happen. The hashrate on the AMD Radeon RX 580 that we are testing is 27.0 MH/s currently and that will drop down to 25.6 MH/s by DAG epoch #140 and then 22.7 MH/s at DAG epoch #150. This is around a 16% performance drop in the hashrate in the next 90 days assuming the Ethash DAG changes every 4.5 days.
    FOMO coupled with buying overpriced AMD cards might've fucked over some people here.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2017-07-05 at 10:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cheap-o used AMD cards will flood the used market soon enough once Etherium gets harder to mine.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

If I want to upgrade my 960 graphics card to 1070 should I wait another 6 months or will this mining thing keep the prices high for a while and this is the new price?

Additionally, problem with Bitcoin is it is so volatile. It can never be a true currency since currency should be a stable measure of trade not a "venture". Tomorrow the price of the Bitcoin could fall from 2000 to 500. Why would I bet my entire business on that and give you a computer in exchange for a currency I don't know will hold its value? If I want, I can invest in some bitcoin with that cash you gave me as a PART of a portfolio. However, the people that exclusively invest in Bitcoin are incredibly misguided and riding the hype train.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2017-07-05 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    If I want to upgrade my 960 graphics card to 1070 should I wait another 6 months or will this mining thing keep the prices high for a while and this is the new price?
    What titles is your 960 not performing well enough in currently? Personally, I don't think it's worth it to upgrade just one generation later and would wait for the next gen at the least. Unless you got a 1440p or 144hz monitor and really need more than the 960 currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    So if and when the video cards for mining craze comes to an end, what brand of card do you think would be best to buy on the used market?

I'd be mostly worried about the remaining lifespan of the fans on the cards used for mining, so it would probably be best to aim for one that's from a company that has a good reputation for RMAs and doesn't care about transferring warranty to another person.
    EVGA, hands down. They are the only company with a transferable warranty.

^

When looking at craigslist i only search for EVGA, im actually mad at myself that i didnt buy a used 1070 rather than getting a new 1060. With evga, used basically=new.

EVGA doesnt make AMD cards, and it's very unlikely that cheap Nvidias will flood the second hand market aswell. Just dont buy cards you suspect had been used for mining.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Annthrax View Post
    All of a sudden 1070's and 1080's prices have gone up significantly 30%+ on a select few. Any specific reason for this price increase?
    My guess would be availability / supply & demand - specifically on the "TI" models. They seem to be hard to get ahold of still. Even the local Micro Center here in NJ you have to really be lucky to walk in & find one on the shelf.
    Fractal Design Define XL | Corsair AX1200 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | i5 3570k @ 4.4ghz | Thermaltake Frio | 8GB Corsair Vengeance PC12800 | 2 x EVGA GTX670 FTW | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | 2 x Samsung 830 128GB in RAID 0 | 300GB WD Velociraptor | NZXT mesh sleeved cables & extensions

GPU market is fucked up now in germany too. You cant find a cheap card and 80% are out of stock, even a fucking MSI GTX 1060 cost on alternate 470€.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Cheap-o used AMD cards will flood the used market soon enough once Etherium gets harder to mine.
    And the cards will be overused, so no reason to buy them. The Vram on them will not be in good shape after being used for mining
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL: