Page 33 of 109 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    Not really. I'm a leftist and I hate CNN. Still doesn't change the fact that I don't this his right to privacy grants him a right to anonymity.
    So, you are ok with media giants putting people in harms way, because they posted a perfectly legal meme on Reddit? If you don't have the right to privately post memes on the internet, can you even say we are a free people?

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    The poster has free speech as well. Privacy laws are a thing. CNN does not have the same rights to report things about private citizens, as they do about public officials. All those juicy exemptions from libel and slander do not apply to this poster.
    Free speech means freedom from congress controlling your speech. I don't know if you are aware, but CNN isn't congress.

What slanderous or libelous things did they threaten to report about him? That would certainly change the equation.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post
    Cool, so am i.

These people are an extremely small group, and nobody actually takes them seriously except SJW's.
    Same SJW's who put's everyone who is even slightly leaning right into "nazi" groups, only to then go out there attacking supposed nazis.
    Outside the internet the SJW's are also an extreme minority. Facebook and Tumblr would have you believe that violent pansexual dragonkin are kicking over old Christian ladies for using the wrong pronoun at them on a bus.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    @Tijuana still waiting on how there was legal blackmail.
    Suppose I don't like the shit you say or act on here and I know your personal info and I tell you, "you better not post anything troll-y, or for that matter anything I disagree with or I will post all of your info all over here". You are basically forced to comply if you don't want your info posted. Coercion. I think thats what he means at least.

This is simply not true. You have no idea how the law works.
    Brilliant point noting that I am wrong, with no explanation or elaboration. I think I have a proper rebuttal: no u.

10+ Year Old Account
    But according to 4chan Pol is filled with super experienced and high-priced lawyers who are master's of constitutional law, political science, and the arts of woo'ing the ladies.
    Hahaha, of course because who better to get your advice and social ques from.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

So, you are ok with media giants putting people in harms way, because they posted a perfectly legal meme on Reddit? If you don't have the right to privately post memes on the internet, can you even say we are a free people?
    You have every right in the world to post memes on the internet. You just don't have this fictional right of anonymity from the press.
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    No, you cannot sue a media company for threatening to publish public information about you. That's called freedom of the press.
    I don't have any clue about laws in USA, but in general this is not the same thing. Blackmailing and freedom of the press does not go hand in hand. Sure, there must be gray area between but if the press uses their power to oppress someone with threats it is blackmailing and in most countries that is illegal.

Brilliant point noting that I am wrong, with no explanation or elaboration. I think I have a proper rebuttal: no u.
    I don't have to proof a negative.

@Tijuana still waiting on how there was legal blackmail.
    Dude the thread is exploding. I had 19 quotes last check. I can't keep up with your silly request. Look in a dictionary, or ignore my posts. I don't really care what you think, and I'm not willing to do your chores.

Outside the internet the SJW's are also an extreme minority. Facebook and Tumblr would have you believe that violent pansexual dragonkin are kicking over old Christian ladies for using the wrong pronoun at them on a bus.
    Not even remotely, i don't have to look further than education and media to see how much damage they have done.
    Social media is just exposing their fascism in disguise to the entire world.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaede View Post
    Suppose I don't like the shit you say or act on here and I know your personal info and I tell you, "you better not post anything troll-y, or for that matter anything I disagree with or I will post all of your info all over here". You are basically forced to comply if you don't want your info posted. Coercion. I think thats what he means at least.
    Let's say I send a series of racist tweets at someone, calling them racial slurs, and they identify who I am and tell me "Listen, if you don't knock it off, I am going to identify you." Am I violating that person's rights?
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    If the meme was what he was afraid of being linked to I don't think you'd be making this post here right now. It's his open xenophobia, antisemitism, and misc other gems. A person gave an example of somebody standing on a soapbox screaming racist shit and a local newspaper "unmasked" him.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Dude the thread is exploding. I had 19 quotes last check. I can't keep up with your silly request. Look in a dictionary, or ignore my posts. I don't really care what you think, and I'm not willing to do your chores.
    You claim it is blackmail. Proving that it is your chore, not mine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DesMephisto View Post
    They're reporters. They could just publish the dudes info because you know...they can do that. Not blackmail, its within their rights to do it, they just know its a dick thing to do, so they held it over the dudes head.
    That's the blackmail problem, instead of just not releasing it or just releasing it they opted for a retarded comment where they hold it over the guy. As far as it being a dick move or not, if they didn't want to fuck with the guy's future all they had to do was pretty much the story as it is right now except for holding it over his head.

Obviously people will still be upset that someone like CNN decided that it's a good idea to chase after someone who made a meme but at that point it would be a lot better than the current situation.

any1 not condemning this is gross, especially when those same people condemn right-wing press (or alt-right-wing press w/e) when they do stuff like this. it's borderline breaking the law and a shitshow for PR. quite honestly disgusting from a big organisation. doxxing (if that's the term we're collectively using) of any kind just to silence somebody or threaten somebody is truly something out of 1984.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhu View Post
    I don't have any clue about laws in USA, but in general this is not the same thing. Blackmailing and freedom of the press does not go hand in hand. Sure, there must be gray area between but if the press uses their power to oppress someone with threats it is blackmailing and in most countries that is illegal.
    They only didn't post his name because he apologized and wants to be left alone. They did the COURTESY of agreeing not to publish his name in response to that.
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    The "media giant" isn't "putting him in harm's way". If he's "in harm's way" (which I'd dispute), it's because he put himself there.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    You have every right in the world to post memes on the internet. You just don't have this fictional right of anonymity from the press.
    Any poster on Reddit has a reasonable expectation of privacy, in regards to their true identity. Breaching that privacy, as retaliation for criticisms of CNN, is plainly blackmail, when offered in a "do what we want or else" manner.

We don't even know how CNN outed this poster. It could be they strong armed the owners of the site to get this information.

10+ Year Old Account
    You didn't get a copy of the memo, it wasn't black mail, the kid had no right to expectation of privacy, he already apologized in bad faith and got burned as a consequences of his actions. Inflicted on himself.

Unless you might want to milk that he's 15 shit cow just a little more, because I am pretty sure for everyone of these asshats, I can produce 10 more 15 years olds with the good sense not to post his bullshit.

The presumption we have to protect this kid is bogus on the face well kids make mistakes, yeah well they also pay for them too.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis