Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    The main source of pollution is mass production. Sure, it'll help a little, but simply by supporting and supplying this infrastructure we create more pollution than we "reduce" by removing combustion engines. Especially talking about production in china, where half of their energy comes from fucking coal
    Isnt China also worlds leading country in developing solar power nowdays.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Termak View Post
    Isnt China also worlds leading country in developing solar power nowdays.
    in developing solar panels for export - yes, and they do it using their electricity that they get from coal and other fossil fuel. Well, it isn't as bad as it sounds since their coal industry is way better than any of ours, but it's still is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    Except for hauling or towing.
    Electric motors give 100% torque 100% of the time. They are far superior in that regard.

Clean huh?
    How clean is it when the battery starts leaking?
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Well, they fart methane, too, just like cows, which is infamously on the list of things green-is-the-new-red activists want to tax.
    They hold it in for now?

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    If you put a thousand horses in the street, it gets covered in horse manure. So if you want that be my guest. This is a silly argument that isn't even really on topic. You must be trolling.
    Not me, the green guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    They create huge amounts of methane in their digestive system
    They do it less than cows. Quite less. And they do it now. No change.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Electric motors give 100% torque 100% of the time. They are far superior in that regard.
    Torque is nothing without traction.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    So let's look at this from a UK family perspective, 2 adults and 2 kids.

A cheap electric car is £ 18,500. Factor in the £4500 grant from Government and cheapest you can buy is the Renault Zoe at £13500. That has a range of 130 miles. Included in the deal is a faster-charging domestic wall box that could reduce a full recharge to just three hours. However, as I said before, this isn't suitable for a lot of the UK as we don't all have personal driveways. So the major appeal of that deal is moot as you are REQUIRED to have a private driveway for that to be installed.

Lets look at other cars using a standard 3 pin UK plug:
    Peugeot Ion domestic charge time: 7 hours
    Nissan Leaf domestic charge time: 8 hours
    VW E-Up domestic charge time: 9 hours
    Kia Soul EV domestic charge time: 10-14 hours

The Kia costs roughly the same as my current car, a Vauxhall Astra K Elite. Whilst it is electric, it has less power (109BHP vs 150BHP), less top speed (92MPH vs 130 MPH) and less acceleration 0-60mph (9.7s vs 8.4s) Now lets say I get 400 miles out of a full tank at worst. Is the fuel cost savings worth the 10 to 14 hours of recharge to go 132 miles? Not at all. To fill my 48L tank costs around £50. To go same distance in the EV would take 30 to 40 HOURS of charge time from my flat, if I could run an extension cable to the car and hope no one takes it out.

So, to sum it up, why on earth would I buy an electric car?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post

Torque is nothing without traction.
    What the fuck are you on about? Traction is to do with tyres, not the engine. If anything, an electric car has GREATER TRACTION due to the battery weight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Teslas biggest thing is the price. Once car makers can reliably make an electric car with a 150-300mile range for around 15 to 25k range then I'm sure they'll become more mainstream.
    New fast charging battery technology will come out next year, first for phones, then for cars (50 times faster).
    And yes, combustion engines will become like horse carriages, it's no surprise.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39895898
    Last edited by Vargur; 2017-07-05 at 03:49 PM.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

They do it less than cows. Quite less. And they do it now. No change.
    You would need significantly more horses than now. Germany overall has 900k registered horses, in Munich alone you have 920k registered cars.
    So yes, there was a drastic change if you replace cars with horses.

Stood in the Fire KrotosTheTank's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The price for the most affordable Tesla is pretty reasonable at 35K.
    That before or after the federal rebates?

My issue, personally, with green tech is that it's being shoved down our throats. I can say with certainty that many of these techs have massive potential, but just aren't there yet, and I mean when looking at the whole picture. Looking exclusively at consumer side benefits is ignorant and I really just wish lifecycle comparisons were made more often.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    What the fuck are you on about? Traction is to do with tyres, not the engine. If anything, an electric car has GREATER TRACTION due to the battery weight.
    Nevermind, you clearly don't understand the physics of it all.
    You would need significantly more horses than now. Germany overall has 900k registered horses, in Munich alone you have 920k registered cars.
    So yes, there was a drastic change if you replace cars with horses.
    Dude, it is impossible to have as much horses as cars. Logistically impossible, physically impossible. That means not everyone would own one. Most probably it will be public transportation only.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Dude, it is impossible to have as much horses as cars. Logistically impossible, physically impossible. That means not everyone would own one. Most probably it will be public transportation only.
    So? There's no benefit. They emit more CO2 and are by far less efficient than any bus for public transport. You brought the horses up, and they are by far not as clean as you want them to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    So? There's no benefit. They emit more CO2 and are by far less efficient than any bus for public transport. You brought the horses up, and they are by far not as clean as you want them to be.
    They are cleaner than cars. Cleaner than horses is only walking.

Deleted
    http://www.banhdc.org/archives/ch-hist-19711000.html
    https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2...health-hazard/
    http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK...risis-of-1894/

Horses were anything but clean.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    They are as clean as the main electric energy source of the country. In some countries it's +90% clean.
    As for powerful... Tesla Model S accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h (60 miles) in 2.2 seconds, faster than any internal combustion engine in existence. Also, the same car went 900km (560 miles) without recharging.
    Electric cars are superior in every way imaginable. There is not even a comparison.
    But Tesla S is still slow car. Stop lying.
    Compare it's times on the tracks... O wait, it didn't even finish them because of the overheating batteries. And it's too heavy, have you even driven one? It's GOOD, but compared to M3/M4/C63AMG/RS4/5 etc. ? Not really. It's too fat. The electric handling is doing a great job, but compared to other sport cars? Nope, thanks.

Get your facts straight. I don't care about stupid 0-60mph times, because they mean NOTHING, same as BHP. (Megane RS(0-60 - 6,1 sec, 250 bhp) is faster on Balocco than M5(0-60 - 4,7 sec, 507 bhp).

No, they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Teslas biggest thing is the price. Once car makers can reliably make an electric car with a 150-300mile range for around 15 to 25k range then I'm sure they'll become more mainstream.
    So later this year, then:
    https://www.tesla.com/model3

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    So later this year, then:
    https://www.tesla.com/model3
    What sounds sketchy to me though is statements like "a Supercharger provides up to 270 kilometers of range in as little as 30 minutes."

My bold for emphasis. A best case scenario of 30 minutes will not be replacing my ICE anytime soon.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Right because engine advancement is the same as regression. Totally.
    Engines have long since stopped advancing at a rate worth acknowledging. When companies are using sensors and bullshit tactics in order to get better fuel economy because they can't find ways to make their engines draw less gasoline, to the point where they are getting sued because their vehicles drive like shit, should be a good indicator of where we are with the internal combustion engine. Ford got sued because of the Fiesta Fiasco. They intentionally fucked with the transmission system to get the car to have the best fuel mileage but the car vibrated and rattled like crazy when it accelerated from a dead stop, which annoyed customers. It took two recalls to stop the massive vibrating and it lowered the fuel mileage considerably in order to do it.

Just when the US is overflowing with oil the demand for oil goes away. *sigh*

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    What sounds sketchy to me though is statements like "a Supercharger provides up to 270 kilometers of range in as little as 30 minutes."

My bold for emphasis. A best case scenario of 30 minutes will not be replacing my ICE anytime soon.
    Oh, the low range and long charge time is already a turn-off for me. I'm unlikely to go full electric until I can feasibly drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles in a comparable timeframe to gas (~385 miles in 6-8 hours). But Saninicus was primarily concerned with the cost, and the Model 3 falls neatly into his specified range (especially after rebates).