Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    As someone who ALSO has a machine in the house with a 750ti in it I can attest that you are not going to get 60 FPS with ultra settings. I actually just walked into the living room where its hooked up and loaded wow to check. Thats also with a I7 4790k in that rig.
    How many computers do you have lol.

1060 6GB is like 1-2% behind a GTX 980.

it's good value. not sure what CAN to USD is tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    1060 6GB is like 1-2% behind a GTX 980.

it's good value. not sure what CAN to USD is tho.
    Some games its above, but ya its basically a 980.

Thats why i find it hilarious that people question my choice of a 1060 for 1440p, as if it cant handle that lol. 2 years ago it was the top end card on the market, well 2.5.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Some games its above, but ya its basically a 980.

Thats why i find it hilarious that people question my choice of a 1060 for 1440p, as if it cant handle that lol. 2 years ago it was the top end card on the market, well 2.5.
    Have the 1060s been refreshed with slightly faster RAM yet? I heard some manufacturers like ASUS we're talking about it. I don't know how much 1ghz extra on the clock will add in the grand scheme of things but it's worth knowing especially if the RX lineup is tied up in mining bullshit for the next several months.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    As someone who ALSO has a machine in the house with a 750ti in it I can attest that you are not going to get 60 FPS with ultra settings. I actually just walked into the living room where its hooked up and loaded wow to check. Thats also with a I7 4790k in that rig.
    Then you have something else wrong with your PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVloY2nURYQ

Yeah, he drops below 60 in areas, where even a 1080ti would. There are times where he is over 100FPS though, with a weaker CPU than you. Clearly, you are running some FPS killing add-ons or have something running in the background killing your FPS. A 750ti is absolutely capable of playing WoW on Max Settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Have the 1060s been refreshed with slightly faster RAM yet? I heard some manufacturers like ASUS we're talking about it. I don't know how much 1ghz extra on the clock will add in the grand scheme of things but it's worth knowing especially if the RX lineup is tied up in mining bullshit for the next several months.
    I heard that too but havent seen any. I do know the 1080's with the faster ram havent seen much if any performance boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    It really depends on the person. I know some who upgrade every 2 years and some who upgrade closer to 6 years. Obviously, if you buy a 1080ti now, you'll keep it longer than if you bought a 1060 now, because in 3-4 years the 1080ti will still be playing stuff well and the 1060 will be struggling. That said, how long you intend to keep it and your current specs don't matter much. You have a $300CAD budget, so you get the best you can with that and then upgrade it when it starts to struggle. At that budget level your options are pretty much just the 3GB 1060 or the RX 580. Even at that though, they are pretty much right at your budget. I'd say go for the 580 if you can find one, but due to Etherium mining being a thing now, the RX cards can be pretty hard to find. If you can stretch your budget and get a 6GB 1060 that would probably be your best bet, but you should be fine for a few years on the 3GB 1060. Since those are pretty much right at your budget anyway, you could also step down to a 1050ti and will still be more than enough for the games you listed. I play all those games except WoW, at max settings, with my GTX960 and the 1050ti is more powerful than that, so you'll be fine.
    Definitely the RX 580 is nowhere in stock. I checked a lot of places and they don't have it in stock. I want to settle on getting the 3GB 1060 but I am wondering if any of the games I play in the next 3 years will use the 6 GB on a 1060. Does it matter if it is 3 GB or 6 GB, especially for WoW? Does WoW use the the more video card ram if there is any?

- - - Updated - - -

For the FPS that people are mentioning for WoW, I don't really mind if it dips a bit below 60 like if it is in the 50-60 range, or even 45-60. I find that 45-60 FPS seems the same, maybe 60 fps is more crisper but i can settle for between 35-59 FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaebryel Quintyne View Post
    Definitely the RX 580 is nowhere in stock. I checked a lot of places and they don't have it in stock. I want to settle on getting the 3GB 1060 but I am wondering if any of the games I play in the next 3 years will use the 6 GB on a 1060. Does it matter if it is 3 GB or 6 GB, especially for WoW? Does WoW use the the more video card ram if there is any?

- - - Updated - - -

For the FPS that people are mentioning for WoW, I don't really mind if it dips a bit below 60 like if it is in the 50-60 range, or even 45-60. I find that 45-60 FPS seems the same, maybe 60 fps is more crisper but i can settle for between 35-59 FPS.
    Well, the difference between the 3GB and 6GB 1060 is more than just the RAM. The 3GB has been cut in other ways as well. IMO, they should not even have called them both a 1060, the 6GB should be a ti because it has more shaders as well. For just WoW, and really most of those games, you'd be fine with the 3GB though and even fine with a 1050ti.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Well, the difference between the 3GB and 6GB 1060 is more than just the RAM. The 3GB has been cut in other ways as well. IMO, they should not even have called them both a 1060, the 6GB should be a ti because it has more shaders as well. For just WoW, and really most of those games, you'd be fine with the 3GB though and even fine with a 1050ti.
    Ah ok. So the 6GB is out for me. I'll settle for 3GB one. Now to find a cheap price for it. PCpartpicker is the site to check, right? For Canadian prices? Also, the coolers or the brand name like EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, etc., which one is better to get. I get the gigabyte ones 'cause it usually has more fans (the 7870 I have has 3 fans), but I think all the 1060 3GB ones have 2 fans. So that's not an issue, just need to know what brand/cooler.

Ah ok. So the 6GB is out for me. I'll settle for 3GB one. Now to find a cheap price for it. PCpartpicker is the site to check, right? For Canadian prices?
    Yeah, PCPartPicker is great for multiple countries. Just be sure to choose Canada in the top right. Though apparantly according to @Triggered Fridgekin, that may not be the cheapest price, maybe he will have better advice on where to buy in Canada as he has experience buying there and I don't. This is the cheapest I found in stock though:
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX64023

Ah ok. So the 6GB is out for me. I'll settle for 3GB one. Now to find a cheap price for it. PCpartpicker is the site to check, right? For Canadian prices? Also, the coolers or the brand name like EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, etc., which one is better to get. I get the gigabyte ones 'cause it usually has more fans (the 7870 I have has 3 fans), but I think all the 1060 3GB ones have 2 fans. So that's not an issue, just need to know what brand/cooler.
    This is the only 1060 i even see in stock lol.
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX63856

Its not priced great, but its not outrageous either given the shortages.

Gigabyte you linked is out of stock.

The mini-ITX ones. Are they good? What is the difference between them and regular non-mini-ITXs? I guess they are cheaper because they are smaller but what other benefits do they have?

The mini-ITX ones. Are they good? What is the difference between them and regular non-mini-ITXs? I guess they are cheaper because they are smaller but what other benefits do they have?
    They dont have any other benefits, fans have to spin a bit faster to keep them cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    This is the only 1060 i even see in stock lol.
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX63856

Its not priced great, but its not outrageous either given the shortages.

Gigabyte you linked is out of stock.
    Oh yeah, looking at the site it is. It's not listed as out of stock on pcpartpicker though. This is just insane how hard cards are to find right now due to this mining stuff. Everything is more expensive and out of stock because of it.

We're going up above budget now, but this is also in stock:
    https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...source=afc-%zn

Or, alternatively, if he steps down to a 1050ti, which will still be more than enough for his purposes, he could get this:
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MF7EQJZ/?tag=pcp0f-20

and put that money saved towards something else or in a fund for a new GPU in 2 years when hopefully this craze has settled down. As overpriced as the 1060's appear to be right now, that's likely the decision I would make.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    One of the best places to buy hardware in Canada is Mikescomputershop which is, for whatever reason, no listed on pcpartspicker. The only downside is that the site is kind of shit, their selection is somewhat sparse and, last I checked, did not use visa debit so you had to go through paypal if you don't have a proper CC which might be a pain in the ass if you don't have an account set up already.

A fast price match service, decent base prices on most of their inventory, chat-based support, free shipping over $40 and an inventory management screen really makes them my default go to whenever I am looking for hardware. Often times they have cheaper salce prices than MSRP.

From there, I generally go down the list of DirectCanada, Newegg, MemoryExpress and Amazon. NCIX should be given a wide birth since they charge a premium and their free shipping is hit or miss depending on where you live. There are other places like PC Canada and Canada Computers but I've never had much experience with them but these are all included in PCPP.

A tidbit about MemoryExpress is that their online store is an entirely separate entity from their brick and mortar stores. If the online store is out of stock then the online store is out of stock even if their outlets aren't.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-07-05 at 08:31 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Nothing wrong with them. My GTX 960 is a small form factor card and it performs just fine. I bought it only because it was cheaper. Generally, it is not a problem to cool these lower-end cards as the coolers they stick on them are the same ones they put on the high end cards, which typically run much hotter. I probably wouldn't buy a small form factor GPU if I was buying a higher end graphics card, unless I was actually building in a small form factor case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    One of the best places to buy hardware in Canada is Mikescomputershop which is, for whatever reason, no listed on pcpartspicker. The only downside is that the site is kind of shit, their selection is somewhat sparse and, last I checked, did not use visa debit so you had to go through paypal if you don't have a proper CC which might be a pain in the ass if you don't have an account set up already.

A fast price match service, decent base prices on most of their inventory, chat-based support, free shipping over $40 and an inventory management screen really makes them my default go to whenever I am looking for hardware. Often times they have cheaper salce prices than MSRP.

From there, I generally go down the list of DirectCanada, Newegg, MemoryExpress and Amazon. NCIX should be given a wide birth since they charge a premium and their free shipping is hit or miss depending on where you live. There are other places like PC Canada and Canada Computers but I've never had much experience with them but these are all included in PCPP.

A tidbit about MemoryExpress is that their online store is an entirely separate entity from their brick and mortar stores. If the online store is out of stock then the online store is out of stock even if their outlets aren't.
    Cheapest one on there I see is this:
    https://www.mikescomputershop.com/product/7858313

Probably better off going with either the one @Fascinate linked, or just drop to a 1050ti.

So I am looking for a new video card. I currently have an AMD Radeon 7870. My budget is around $300 CAN. I can't decide on whether I should get AMD or Nvidia. Also, which specific video cards I need to choose, like for example, a GTX 1060 or a RX equivalent?

EDIT: I forgot to mention what games I would play with the new card. I want to play WoW, SC2, D3, Minecraft and SWTOR on it on maxed settings and hopefully 60 fps on vsync. I don't like to play without vsync 'cause the FPS jumps up and down too much.
    Also, hopefully I can get an answer by tonight 'cause I have to order a SSD that's really cheap and its price will stay at the low price until tonight (Getting the Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB for $149.99 CAN).

DO not BUY a 1060. They are friggan useless worse the a asus 750ti OC 2gb card. If anything the 1070 founders edition beat my old 750ti by just a little I had to over clock its memory clock by 741 using msi afterburn but it does beat it slightly in FPS. But by god do not buy a 1060 6gb card they are so bad. for the extra 100 bucks for the 1070 you will come out on top.
    As for Nvidia vs AMD go Nvidia.
    I just sent back a 1060 6gb founders card as I had bought both the 1070 and 1060 from nvidia.com store trust me when I say this DO NOT BUY the 1060!!!

BTW do you know why all these cards are outta stock its because people are mining bitcoin... I am as well when I aint using my comp not bad made 60 bucks in 2 weeks so far just off the vid card alone.
    Last edited by Nakotsu; 2017-07-05 at 08:38 PM.

Never said there was anything wrong with them, but literally only advantage they have is size. (fans have to spin much faster than dual fan cards do, to keep temps similar)

If you have a full size case id avoid them, but if its the only one he can find it stock not much you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by kreationkin View Post
    I just made a switch from a 7870 which died on me to a 1060 (3GB) and I've been very pleased. I can't speak to whether or not it will produce the framerates w/ vsync you're looking for but it is a noticeable upgrade from the 7870. It's also significantly cheaper than your budget which might let you look into upgrading the CPU which honestly could be holding you back in CPU heavy environments like WOW.
    you cant run wow on setting 10 with a 1060 3gb card at 60fps... even thou wow is CPU driven its not possible on setting 10 not at 1080 not at 1440 resolution.
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Founders edition<From Nvidia.com>
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz
    Memory: 32 GB RAM (31.92 GB RAM usable)
    Current resolution: 1920 x 1080, 60Hz
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Nakotsu View Post
    DO not BUY a 1060. They are friggan useless worse the a asus 750ti OC 2gb card. If anything the 1070 founders edition beat my old 750ti by just a little I had to over clock its memory clock by 741 using msi afterburn but it does beat it slightly in FPS. But by god do not buy a 1060 6gb card they are so bad. for the extra 100 bucks for the 1070 you will come out on top.
    As for Nvidia vs AMD go Nvidia.
    I just sent back a 1060 6gb founders card as I had bought both the 1070 and 1060 from nvidia.com store trust me when I say this DO NOT BUY the 1060!!!

BTW do you know why all these cards are outta stock its because people are mining bitcoin... I am as well when I aint using my comp not bad made 60 bucks in 2 weeks so far just off the vid card alone.
    A 1060 worse than a 750ti? What are you smoking? It's two generations newer and a tier above. You either had a faulty 1060 or had some sort of golden sample 750ti that clocked way higher than normal.

Also, no, it's not bitcoin mining. No one is mining Bitcoins with GPUs. Other cryptocurrency, like Etherium, yes, people are mining with GPUs. Already been mentioned in this thread multiple times. If you are mining bitcoin with GPU though, you are doing it wrong. Mine Etherium.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nakotsu View Post
    you cant run wow on setting 10 with a 1060 3gb card at 60fps... even thou wow is CPU driven its not possible on setting 10 not at 1080 not at 1440 resolution.
    Again, what are you smoking? I want some and I need to re-up tonight anyway. In this very thread I linked a 750ti doing it. The 1060 is a tier up and two generations newer. It's a much much faster card.

Look at these benchmarks:
    http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews...60-more/page-4

In BF1 the 750ti gets 32.3 FPS the 1060 get 95.

and here:
    http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews...60-more/page-5

In Overwatch, the 750ti gets 63.7 and the 1050ti is getting 102.7. Gonna tell me the 1060 is weaker than the 1050ti now?

Since you're talking about a Super Clocked 750ti, here you go:
    http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews...60-more/page-6

In GTA5 the EVGA SC 750ti gets 41 FPS, the OCed 1060 get 98.

No way in hell is a 1060 worse than a 750ti. The 1060 is absolutely his best choice on his current budget in the current market. I think you may be confused and thinking of a 780ti not a 750ti?