Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Cholula for sure. Just so tasty. Original is my favorite but the others are good on certain things. I usually get the pack of all of them but have to replace the original 3 or so times before even thinking of the others.
    How do you survive the chili lime version? I have tasted it once, and it was the most vile and disgusting thing ever. At first it smells intriguing so you want to try it. Then you put it in your mouth and it kind of tastes nice, the slight spiciness of the chili mixing with just a lil' bit of zestiness from the lime. But then you swallow and the aftertaste, well it stays for so long and it is just so disgusting.

Anyhow, to stay on topic, previously I had used cayenne pepper and minced chili a lot, along with some more local/domestic hot peppers (such as red paprika, not the sweet kind) and made my own sauce, or simply used them as they were. But since I had to make some dietary changes in the past couple of years, nowadays I'm only using curry powder to add just a lil' bit of spiciness to some meals. Never refrigerated since the amount I'd make would immediately get used.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gochujang.

SO fucking good.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    What's your go-to sauce?

Do you refrigerate it after opening?

Do you put it on everything?
    I like the Chipotle Flavored Tabasco Hot Sauce. For me, it has just the right amount of 'kick' without being too over-whelming. That and I really like the 'smoky' flavor it adds.

I do refrigerate it after opening, as it does make it last longer in my opinion. As for putting it on everything, I wouldn't say that, but if it is something that warrants hot sauce (in my opinion), then that is what goes on it. Example: For me, Frozen Burrito = Yes, Cheese Burger = No.

15+ Year Old Account
    Really no tapatio yet? Well I'm from ghetto la so that was always #1 for most people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well, I have a bottle of Poppamies Scorpion in my fridge right now. Scovilles are around 350-400K I believe. I feel like a lot of the the "hot" sauces listed in this thread are anything but hot.
    You don't need to touch your tongue to the sun to enjoy the enhanced flavor profile that "hot" sauces bring. Next level doesn't require sweating.

Deleted
    I refrigerate all my condiments including hot sauce. I'm worried they'll go bad if I don't do it after they're opened, plus I prefer them cold.

Mayo with fries, hot sauce with chicken. Sometimes I mix ketchup with hot sauce too, it's quite nice.

does a spicy boss sauce count as hot sauce? if so thats my hot sauce of choice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    I want to look you in the eyes as your morals fly out the window. I want to watch the righteousness leave your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diaspar View Post
    How do you survive the chili lime version? I have tasted it once, and it was the most vile and disgusting thing ever. At first it smells intriguing so you want to try it. Then you put it in your mouth and it kind of tastes nice, the slight spiciness of the chili mixing with just a lil' bit of zestiness from the lime. But then you swallow and the aftertaste, well it stays for so long and it is just so disgusting.

Anyhow, to stay on topic, previously I had used cayenne pepper and minced chili a lot, along with some more local/domestic hot peppers (such as red paprika, not the sweet kind) and made my own sauce, or simply used them as they were. But since I had to make some dietary changes in the past couple of years, nowadays I'm only using curry powder to add just a lil' bit of spiciness to some meals. Never refrigerated since the amount I'd make would immediately get used.
    I will admit it's my least favorite. I only use it to cook things with and never directly put freshly on foods. Mostly beef jerky type of dehydrated foods. One thing a Mexican friend of mine showed me which sounds absolutely disgusting is that if you put it on watermelon and mangoes it makes this really amazing flavor. Specifically if you use them to cook a sauce.

7+ Year Old Account
    homemade/10char.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    yeah i was into that "it's got to be so hot it burns through your stomach" stuff when i was younger.. now i prefer it to actually have some taste and not just heat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    lol, I never understood people who think it "cool" or something to eat the hottest sauce they can find. It's like the equivalent of stabbing yourself in the hand for fun, while simultaneously thinking you're awesome for doing it. I like stuff with flavor, not "I genetically engineered a pepper to be made of liquid fire, and then I ate it!"
    No taste, just heat. Bleh.
    Sure, flavor is great, but I mean...this is a thread about hot sauces, not flavor sauces.

I recently discovered that my local store stocks Frank's Hot Sauce because I was trying to make a variant of Buffalo wings. It was pretty hard to find, we don't really have "hot sauce" here. I imagine if you asked most Australians about it they'd say "... you mean chilli sauce?".

So basically... hot sauce is a smooth, runny chilli sauce? Generally hotter than your average commercial "chilli sauce"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

If your answer is not Tapatio then you're doing it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    I don't buy hotsauce, I use them tacoHELL packets doe
    You, sir, are a total pro. I think my refrigerator door was filled wtih condiment packets when I was in school. Taco Bell, Arby's, whatever.

As for bottles of hot sauce...

Tabasco is a go-to, but the green version and the chipotle version. Cholula is good. Frank's is good. Huy Fong brand (Rooster) sriracha is good, if overused these days, as is their sambal. For well-known brands.

This is another good brand, might be harder to find:

El Yucateco brand. They make a variety, including a couple that will give wannabe chili-heads pauce (without using capsaicin extract).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    So basically... hot sauce is a smooth, runny chilli sauce? Generally hotter than your average commercial "chilli sauce"?
    Typical ingredients are chilis, vinegar, and salt, yes. The "chilli sauces" you're talking about tend to be thicker, and often have sugar? If we're thinking about the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ace192 View Post
    If your answer is not Tapatio then you're doing it wrong
    Tabasco for RC Cola drinkers. lol.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Tabasco and sriracha. And whatever the hottest picante sauce I can get my hands on... I've been tempted to just make my own and throw it in my blender. I LOVE it on omelettes, and pretty much anything you can put picante sauce on :P

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Typical ingredients are chilis, vinegar, and salt, yes. The "chilli sauces" you're talking about tend to be thicker, and often have sugar? If we're thinking about the same thing.
    Yeah, I think so. They're both made with chillis, vinegar and salt but "chilli sauce" might have more sugar - generally they're sweeter but they do have "sweet chilli sauce" so not all of them are sweet. Or at least, not as sweet.

Generally they're fairly thick and most of the ones I've had have bits of visible chilli in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cholula

no fridge

no, not on everything

Deleted
    I love hot sauce so much! I keep it in the fridge too. Put it on everything exept ice cream

Usually peri peri

But I also like franks and nandos,

I've had something the other day called memphis sauce, wasn't expecting it to be hot as it's supposedly bbq, but it had a nice little kick.

Any of these I have a condiment on the side, but my favorite is to do a home made southern friend chicken breast, fresh lettuce and mix one of these sauces with mayo,

If I'm cooking something, let's say a chilli, I'll use peri peri and franks hot sauce in it. But I also have a sauce called psycho juice, you can literally make a 10 litre container of something and add one drop of this stuff in and leave it for 30 minutes and it's enough to fry your taste buds. I've seen people sweat and nose run uncontrollably from using a drop of it.

First time I tried it, it took a while to get used to, but now I have 10 drops or so of it a 2 litre slow cooker with my chilis cooking for 15 hours or so. I honestly only find it to have a tad of heat and it brings out the flavours. My partner who loves the juice can't tolerate it at all when I cook with it, infact no one that's tried it can.

Deleted
    I love hot sauce so much! I keep it in the fridge too. Put it on everything except the ice cream

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Really no tapatio yet? Well I'm from ghetto la so that was always #1 for most people.
    I'm very surprised I didn't hear more about Tapatio here. Kassem G swears by it and I was expecting to hear more about it from folks on the west coast, but nope; Everyone is in love with Cholula. I'm going to buy a bottle today and try it out, make some crunchwraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I recently discovered that my local store stocks Frank's Hot Sauce because I was trying to make a variant of Buffalo wings. It was pretty hard to find, we don't really have "hot sauce" here. I imagine if you asked most Australians about it they'd say "... you mean chilli sauce?".

I use Franks on most mexican and Italian food and Sriracha for basically all my asian cooking which I do most often, and used to have a thing for Tabasco in my younger days. I'd agree that "hot sauce" is runnier and has a longer burning aftertaste than chili sauce or chili paste.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥