Quote Originally Posted by Aettis View Post
    Won't expect it, but I wouldn't rule it out. We have precedent for expansion announcements at Gamescom, and it has been 2 years since the last announcement. But I HIGHLY suspect we'll get something at either of those events.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/ne...-gamescom-2017

Obviously could just be PR/advertising but "..putting on our best show yet..". Hard to top an expansion announcement from 2 years ago.
    Only Legion was announced at Gamescom and the only reason for that was the sinking ship called Warlords of Draenor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    While I am quite inclined to believe the items being datamined, I believe this was just meant to be a lighthouse in azsuna, where we do see kul'tiras NPCs, so nothing to get particularly hyped over.
    Yeah but we got fresh KT stuff now.

They plan expansions wayyyyyyy ahead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimo View Post
    The man is pretty consistent though: he wants WotLK 2, or a back to our roots Vanilla-soft-reboot, loathes Azshara and the Void. That's not exactly negativity for negativity's sake. Like every other bored and dissolute poster here he is just making his hopes known.
    I actually was quietly hoping for a revamp of old Azeroth. I still think it'd be good for the game, long-term. We've burned through so many story threads, and aren't really setting up many others, such an expansion could plant for "expansion seeds." That, and there's so much that could be going on/progressing, etc. but it's been largely ignored due to MMO format.

10+ Year Old Account
    The man is pretty consistent though: he wants WotLK 2, or a back to our roots Vanilla-soft-reboot, loathes Azshara and the Void. That's not exactly negativity for negativity's sake. Like every other bored and dissolute poster here he is just making his hopes known.
    I see something else but this thread is not about that.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    I actually was quietly hoping for a revamp of old Azeroth. I still think it'd be good for the game, long-term. We've burned through so many story threads, and aren't really setting up many others, such an expansion could plant for "expansion seeds." That, and there's so much that could be going on/progressing, etc. but it's been largely ignored due to MMO format.
    I still think they'll revamp Azeroth now for the Naga / Old god invasion, they could use many of the major lore characters we've freed / created now with Legion such as Thunderaan, the four horsemen and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Yup, I agree. There is no longer the groundwork that vanilla did in seeding new plots. Go back to the way they used to do it, with many micro-threats rather than one huge one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Only Legion was announced at Gamescom and the only reason for that was the sinking ship called Warlords of Draenor.
    Once is enough! But sure, I know they did that earlier than normal because of WoD. I'm just saying, all things considered, I wouldn't completely rule out a very big announcement there. *shrug*

But why would they reveal hints at the next expansion now(if this is a hint)?
    I feel like it would make more sense to build this kind of hype later on during the PTR instead of now that the PTR just got up and running with new stuff + new patch just went live on live realms.
    Seems odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I see something else but this thread is not about that.
    Pray tell what do you see?

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Gremlin View Post
    I still think they'll revamp Azeroth now for the Naga / Old god invasion, they could use many of the major lore characters we've freed / created now with Legion such as Thunderaan, the four horsemen and so on.
    The problem with doing it now is twofold. Firstly, if it's done specifically during Azshara/Old Gods, that means we get a further damaged world (which would be relevant for a single expansion). More floods, more giant gaping maws in the middle of nowhere, etc. I really wanted to see post-Cataclysm rebuilding (Loch Modan dam, etc.) Anything else runs the risk of feeling dated the moment 9.0 drops.

Then there's the fact that, while Azeroth will be updated it won't be entirely relevant to the central plot of the expansion. It might be tangentially relevant, but we still run the risk of feelings of detachment, and cede the huge bonus of a player power downgrade.

Note that chaud posted another texture with a map on the frontpage.

Enhanced and rotated:

Thought it was Eastern Kingdoms for a minute, but not so sure now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, I agree. There is no longer the groundwork that vanilla did in seeding new plots. Go back to the way they used to do it, with many micro-threats rather than one huge one.
    Vanilla did it pretty horribly, the lore was everywhere. It wasn't very good though(Based on what we have now).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Legion almost sets this up. We still have the threats of Sargeras. Azshara is now making major moves. N'zoth is becoming more and more active. Void gods are planning things. Titans are showing up. Throw in a continental upheaval. A touch of Zandalar, some angry Bloodsail, cranky Undermine goblins. You've got a lot of macro and micro threats to deal with.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see anything Kul'Tiras related and I am like

I just need Kul'Tiras in my life right now
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    Note that chaud posted another texture with a map on the frontpage.

Enhanced and rotated:

Thought it was Eastern Kingdoms for a minute, but not so sure now.
    I think that one looks more like Kul'Tiras than the former. There's Zul'Dare there too, I think.

An expansion concept based on K'aresh
    #TeamK'aresh #TeamWorldRevamp

Once is enough! But sure, I know they did that earlier than normal because of WoD. I'm just saying, all things considered, I wouldn't completely rule out a very big announcement there. *shrug*
    Well, you're right but I think Blizzard has more than enough to show us about 7.3 at Gamescom. We know like nothing from the Argus-Patch yet and I think Gamescom will give us many details - announcement of the upcoming expansion will be made at Blizzcon (imho).

Uh....

Ye....

I called this shit since day 1....

- - - Updated - - -

Me during WoD: "Am I the only one thinking that the next expac will be a Legion expac? Yeah? Okay!"

Me During Legion: "NOW We can focus on Naga/Old Gods. Wait, you're on the undead boat? Nah, i'll be on the Naga boat....the only one here anyway".

Me now: "Called it".

10+ Year Old Account
    Legion almost sets this up. We still have the threats of Sargeras. Azshara is now making major moves. N'zoth is becoming more and more active. Void gods are planning things. Titans are showing up. Throw in a continental upheaval. A touch of Zandalar, some angry Bloodsail, cranky Undermine goblins. You've got a lot of macro and micro threats to deal with.
    Legion didn't build up Void Lords, and burned more expansions than it set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Vanilla did it pretty horribly, the lore was everywhere. It wasn't very good though(Based on what we have now).
    The lore was much better than it is now, it just wasn't shoved in front of the player's face. Story presentation and quality are two entirely separate things. Or would you like to defend 2 dimensional characters, Chosen One Illidan, etc.

Deleted
    Now that we are actually leaving Azeroth for the next patch and we are even invading other worlds, it's the perfect time for them to reveal an Azeroth focused expansion with more old school characters.
    Draenor is also still fresh after all.

I remember them doing the same thing with Cataclysm; we had ventured into the Outlands and Northrend for so long that we had forgotten Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms even existed, so Cataclysm would have us adventuring into the old continents again.

It's a bit too early to explore more worlds imo, and I feel that the extraterrestrial journeys that are coming with 7.3 will soon get overwhelming.
    A more classic-continent theme right after that would be very exciting!

10+ Year Old Account
    The lore was much better than it is now, it just wasn't shoved in front of the player's face. Story presentation and quality are two entirely separate things. Or would you like to defend 2 dimensional characters, Chosen One Illidan, etc.

No it was not as good as it is now or post BC. I still like Illidan, I may dislike certain things about him but I still like him.

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Well, you're right but I think Blizzard has more than enough to show us about 7.3 at Gamescom. We know like nothing from the Argus-Patch yet and I think Gamescom will give us many details - announcement of the upcoming expansion will be made at Blizzcon (imho).
    Maybe. But by Gamescom, we'll be almost 2 months into the PTR. Based on 7.2 PTR(came out 1/19, hit live 3/28..I believe), 7.3 will releasing pretty close to that. Most things will probably be known by then, I imagine. 7.3 talk doesn't really strike me as super exciting at that point. But who knows!