Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    We knew this was going to happen. They incurred the wrath of the same people who tracked down Shia Lebouf's flag with animal sounds and planes flying overhead in the background.
    Oh God. I forgot that shit happened.

It's like a MacGyver that likes pop culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    From what I've gathered the guy who made the video had done similar videos and always just did it for the lawls; but as soon as it hit big I think he knew it could have real life consequences. He apologized then did everything he could to distances himself from it, and CNN accepted it. Now CNN talking point after the fact was troublesome, but I think most would agree he doesn't deserve to have his life wrecked for making a video meant to be funny. Hell I hate Trump as president, but I found it pretty hilarious.
    Oh, did you not see? It's not even the right guy. The guy they scared the shit out, isn't even the actual wrestling meme creator. Johnny Cochran is in-flight.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Also, I know there is a cultural clash here where a bunch of people used to internet culture don't know how the real world works, but publishing people's names is part of the news media's JOB. Do you have any idea how difficult it would be to publish news stories without ever printing the names of subjects of the story?
    Lol, that's the most stupidest thing I ever heard.
    No, sugerplump, media has no right to publish people's private information (including their names) without permission from private people in question or without it becoming public otherwise first (like police report or public court hearing). They can only do this for public persons. The Right to privacy and all that.

It's media who is required to request a permission.

And it's very easy to not mention any private names in news, it's done. It's being done, it'll be done.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Peebuddy View Post
    Out of curiosity, has CNN made any kind of statement that they'll never post this guys personal information? Even if he continues making memes?

From what I've read from CNN the whole part about reserving the right to release his information at a later date was either Editing or Legal, no matter who said it CNN has claimed it had an advert effect on their message. So... are they sticking to their guns on that last bit even they themselves said wasn't part of the original message?
    Don't try to make sense of what is going on over there. It will make your brain hurt, or worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Lol, that's the most stupidest thing I ever heard.
    No, sugerplump, media has no right to publish people's private information (including their names) without permission from private people in question or without it becoming public otherwise first (like police report or public court hearing). They can only do this for public persons. The Right to privacy and all that.

It's media who is required to request a permission.

And it's very easy to not mention any private names in news, it's done. It's being done, it'll be done.
    Who among the citizenry was even asking for the name of the meme creator? Since when is it a thing that we need to know who made them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Who among the citizenry was even asking for the name of the meme creator? Since when is it a thing that we need to know who made them?
    Exactly, but apparently it's media's job.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    In all honesty, he deserves it. They should have just not bothered with the "threat" and simply published the information regardless. The sooner this whole douchebag act of hiding behind an anonymous online identity to act like an asshole and somehow imagine that that gives you the right to some kind of protection ends, the better for everybody. If you want to be an anonymous fuckwad purely for the sake of trying to hide your assholeishness from the rest of the world, you deserve to be exposed, so that people can have a nice good look at the real you. Here is a tip: If you don't want people knowing you are an asshat, perhaps just don't be a fucking asshat, instead of going online to an anonymous webforum because you think that it will enable you to be an asshat without consequence.
    A nameless person on an Internet forum deserves a threat from a multi-billion dollar company over a silly meme?

Quote Originally Posted by Jawless Jones View Post
    I mean, CNN seems to think doxxing is alright, otherwise they wouldn't have issued a veiled threat to do it.
    These redditors are simply teaching CNN (through example) that doxxing is NOT alright.
    Yeah nothing says teaching a lesson like don't do a bad thing so now we're going to do it to you!

rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by alucardtnuoc View Post
    It's not a threat because CNN are the good guys /s
    Some people really think CNN are the 'good guys'. They can't see the forest because of the trees.

It's shameful for the US that this scenario is even possible. This entire thing makes me care even less about CNN and somehow have even less respect for Trump and his supporters.

You shouldn't be defending some of the CNN staff and you shouldn't be cheering on T_D and the rest. Celebrating either side of this is ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Yeah nothing says teaching a lesson like don't do a bad thing so now we're going to do it to you!

rofl.
    Works like a charm.

If CNN was held to a higher standard they wouldn't have threatened or reserved the right to doxx that user as they put it in their article. Legalities or not you should know you can't threaten people without them trying to fight back, plus its Reddit.

I feel no pity for CNN, also 99% of the threats they receive will probably be from some basement dweller.

Really, it comes down to why people are afraid of doxing.

The right is afraid of doxing because it means they'll have to put their name next to their opinions.
    The left is afraid of doxing because it'll likely lead to them to being killed.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

le reddit army
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    It's a Horde symbol but the middle part can also be called the "Eye" of the zone (AZSHARA), it's a play on words
    No, it is happening. The zone changed, it belongs to the Goblins now and is their home. Hearthstone is having a mechanical themed expansion soon, November's cardback is Goblin influenced and revealed concept art shows Goblin machinery. It's a HS expansion, sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    CNN is blackmailing him. Pretty low for a corporate news agency.
    It absolutely is. Neither side is in the right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    We knew this was going to happen. They incurred the wrath of the same people who tracked down Shia Lebouf's flag with animal sounds and planes flying overhead in the background.
    Never underestimate the power of weaponized autism .
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I mean, alternatively, we could just not care who made a wrestling meme, since never before in human history has anyone known who created a meme. Not one time, out of billions of memes, did we ever ask ourselves, "I wonder who made this and where they live?"
    Trump made him news. Once you're news, you're in the purview of journalism.

And the news regularly runs fluff stories on the people who create memes popular enough to make it to the mainstream. I see them all the time on my crappy local news site.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    they didnt release his name but said they reserve the power to release his real name if he does somthing they dont like. It was against the law, the specific laws were allready quoted in many places. I dont condone the threats people did against cnn staffers but if they want to fight the internet they are fighting a power greater than them.
    But CNN "reserves the right to publish his identity".
    The news can publish your name. They've been doing it for centuries.

Again, not the same as publishing an address or email account or other personal details.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Really, it comes down to why people are afraid of doxing.

The right is afraid of doxing because it means they'll have to put their name next to their opinions.
    The left is afraid of doxing because it'll likely lead to them to being killed.
    Both sides are afraid of doxing because it makes your details known to crazy people on either side and puts your job at risk as well as guaranteed threats of rape or murder. I don't understand what kind of person would think their side is innocent of this

But CNN "reserves the right to publish his identity".
    Exactly, and this exposes CNN for what they are: A bunch of over-sensitive hypocrites.

Quote Originally Posted by alucardtnuoc View Post
    It's not a threat because CNN are the good guys /s
    Well, its not a threat by any but the most sensitive of standards. If being asked if you'll pay by card or cash at a store comes across as threatening, you're the type that finds CNN's statement threatening.

10+ Year Old Account
    The news can publish your name. They've been doing it for centuries.
    They cannot do it without permission in modern world.
    Again, not the same as publishing an address or email account or other personal details.
    It is the same. It's private information that person A was involved in news B

CNN is blackmailing him. Pretty low for a corporate news agency.
    Blackmail requires a demand for money/material goods. So no, its not blackmail.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    They cannot do it without permission in modern world.

It is the same. It's private information that person A was involved in news B
    Uh not sure how you've arrived at the conclusion that you can't publish someone's name in the modern world. Not real consistent with the law or reality.
    Last edited by Vyuvarax; 2017-07-07 at 06:26 AM.