Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    So here's something I've been thinking about lately, do you think the popularity of calling people and characters edgy has made characters like Illidan, Genn and Jaina harder to take seriously? I've got friends who refer to Demon Hunters, Warlock and Death Knights, and Shadow Priests as edge classes, and I feel like this dumbs them down somewhat, as if all they do is stand around and talk about how much they've suffered or sacrificed, which Demon Hunters do a lot but wouldn't most people be kind of broody when there's literally a Demon inside them they have to control.

I saw a guy in a thread on here say that Genn has become more edgy in Legion, and I'm assuming he thinks so because Genn has grown increasingly vengeful towards Sylvanas which I think is understandable seeing as she destroyed his kingdom and killed his son ( Although unintentionally ) and I can't help but think it kind of lessens his motivations and his character somewhat, like wanting revenge for that isn't reasonable and that he's just being edgy and angsty.

What do you think?
    Why on earth would the usage of one word by random-ass people trying too hard to sound cool change my perception about anything? Seriously, who cares?
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Why on earth would the usage of one word by random-ass people trying too hard to sound cool change my perception about anything? Seriously, who cares?
    It's an unfortunate quirk of human psychology that if a person hears something enough times, through sheer repetition, they will begin to believe it regardless of the evidence that argues against it. That is essentially how such things as memes function - the viral propagation of information and misinformation.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    I think you probably need to learn to think for yourself. Maybe you also need to get new friends. Who cares if people call shit edgy. Think for yourself and you decide the merits of each character. While yo are at it, have a look at the mirror and ask yourself "Did this topic really merit a thread? Did I really need to bring my inability to think for myself to the fore and declare it to the world?" If you are honest I think you will find that the answer is probably no. You did not need to create a thread about this shit.
    Wait, I'm confused, why are you sassing me again? If you did not feel this thread needed to exist, why did you bother clicking on the link, and posting within it, and increasing its lifespan?

Same thing happened with Thrall. We called him Green Jesus too much that no one took him seriously post-Cata. In the end it resulted with him being retired (and no one cared about that too.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    It's an unfortunate quirk of human psychology that if a person hears something enough times, through sheer repetition, they will begin to believe it regardless of the evidence that argues against it.
    Um... no. If I was in a room with a thousand neo-nazis shouting "Hitler is great!" over and over, for hours, I would still leave that room thinking Hitler was a fucking scumbag.

I couldn't imagine being so weakminded that simply hearing something multiple times influences the way I think. I've seen and heard 'WoW sux' probably a thousand times over the 12 and a half years that I've played and guess what? I still love the game. People have bashed gnomes since before I made my first gnome, and they are still my favorite race in any game that I've ever played. I love gnomes so much that I've modded them into other games that I play.

We live in a time where too many people are followers, that try to do and say what they see everyone else doing and saying. Hence all the morons on this forum that use the word 'triggered' or 'sjw' or what have you. I'm just not wired that way. My opinions are my own and no amount of people using a word in WoW to describe <name of NPC> will influence my personal feelings about that NPC.

And I feel very, very badly for anyone who isn't capable of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by My User Name View Post
    Same thing happened with Thrall. We called him Green Jesus too much that no one took him seriously post-Cata. In the end it resulted with him being retired (and no one cared about that too.)
    There are plenty of people who still love the character, who loved his role in Cataclysm. Stop confusing some people with all people.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    So here's something I've been thinking about lately, do you think the popularity of calling people and characters edgy has made characters like Illidan, Genn and Jaina harder to take seriously? I've got friends who refer to Demon Hunters, Warlock and Death Knights, and Shadow Priests as edge classes, and I feel like this dumbs them down somewhat, as if all they do is stand around and talk about how much they've suffered or sacrificed, which Demon Hunters do a lot but wouldn't most people be kind of broody when there's literally a Demon inside them they have to control.

I saw a guy in a thread on here say that Genn has become more edgy in Legion, and I'm assuming he thinks so because Genn has grown increasingly vengeful towards Sylvanas which I think is understandable seeing as she destroyed his kingdom and killed his son ( Although unintentionally ) and I can't help but think it kind of lessens his motivations and his character somewhat, like wanting revenge for that isn't reasonable and that he's just being edgy and angsty.

What do you think?
    That people who use words "edgy" and "cringe" are inmature people overall.
    Making fun of a character's motivation from the point of view of people who barely had any personal experience that relates is what makes them inmature. Basically they are people who fail to understand the character itself. People who if had to be in that character's shoes would be pissing themselves and crying for their mother in a corner.

At the end of the day, each person decides what they take seriously or not, but going to that extent to laugh at a character just makes them look stupid.
    Last edited by Allenseiei; 2017-07-07 at 12:14 PM.

Um... no. If I was in a room with a thousand neo-nazis shouting "Hitler is great!" over and over, for hours, I would still leave that room thinking Hitler was a fucking scumbag.

I couldn't imagine being so weakminded that simply hearing something multiple times influences the way I think. I've seen and heard 'WoW sux' probably a thousand times over the 12 and a half years that I've played and guess what? I still love the game. People have bashed gnomes since before I made my first gnome, and they are still my favorite race in any game that I've ever played. I love gnomes so much that I've modded them into other games that I play.

We live in a time where too many people are followers, that try to do and say what they see everyone else doing and saying. Hence all the morons on this forum that use the word 'triggered' or 'sjw' or what have you. I'm just not wired that way. My opinions are my own and no amount of people using a word in WoW to describe <name of NPC> will influence my personal feelings about that NPC.

- - - Updated - - -

There are plenty of people who still love the character, who loved his role in Cataclysm. Stop confusing some people with all people.
    Woah, why so edgy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium

I'm not referring to an individual such as yourself, in this case - I'm referring to the consensus within society in the general sense. Essential elements of history can and have been almost entirely rewritten in the past - purely by subtly changing certain aspects to make the story take on a different direction. Strongly-held opinions on the individual level might be inviolate, but you would be surprised by how quickly you can become one of the few with such an opinion as the tide of opinion changes.

People are less secure in their opinions than they often think - if you can compromise someone's emotions about those opinions you can effectively change them without any kind of rationality to the argument. No one likes being the odd person out, especially among their immediate peers.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

And here I am not even knowing what edgy really means in the context everyone's using it in.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Its the character that makes them edgy, not the class.

In role playing circles, a lot of people with the 'dark' archetype go way out of their way to become edgy in an attempt to be unique and different.
    Yeah, although to be fair, sometimes you see the inverse of that, at least I have in walk-up roleplay in Stormwind. Super cheery death knights and demon hunters void of any and all suffering or struggle.

7+ Year Old Account
    Edgy characters are okay, if they are also fully explored and understanded characters. Characters like Genn, Jaina and Sylvanas have in the last 2 expansions been giving very litttle time to be understood. They have just done something and then left, without actually talking to the player or giving any sign of what they are doing are going to lead to. That is why Genns attack on sylvanas feels like a teenager tantrum, because what is his end goal? Killing sylvanas and the entire forsaken? How?? And then what? Normally i like having things be a mystery, but that requires clues and hints, and we have nothing of that right now.

The same with Sylvanas and Jaina. They seem liked they had some form of plan in Legion and yet we have seen very little to them. Sylvanas went to helheim and made a deal with Helya, but what was that deal? What happends now that Helya is dead? If Blizzard don't want to tell us, then apperantly it was not that important in the first place and therefore Sylvanases journey was completly POINTLESS. Jaina has also just gone POOF!, completly gone. With her outrage in MoP and in the beginning of Legion, it seem like she would be having a plan or a scheme...but no.

Blizzard have 2 major problems with their storywritting atm. First, they are not finishing their stories. There are so many characters in the game, who seemed like to have a plan and wanted to do something, yet they just completly forgot about them and went on with the story. It is pretty hard to be involved in the story, when you don't know which characters will get abandoned and which characters are actually gonne get their stories told.

Number 2: They need to be ready for character actions to change the game. When is the last time when a characters action actually had a seeable effect on the world? Blizzard is so afraind of changing their world, that they end up making it feel stale and dead. Would it not be cool if Undercity actually changed its style a bit because of Sylvanas being Warchief? What about if there was actually some visual leadership change in the Darkspear tribe, since Voljin is dead, that would make it more dark or light(Maybe have a voodo shaman, warlock or priest take over). Would it not be cool to see both the horde and alliance rebuild their armies outside/inside Orgrimmar/Stormwind to recuperate from their losses on the Broken Shore? So many things could happend, that would make the world feel alive and in a constant change....... But Blizzard is again so afraid that they are gonna change a single pixel, that somebody might like, that they would rather have the world stay the same and turn old.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Deleted
    I suppose I should clarify: Its not that my opinion of the character changes because others judge them a certain way, it's that I feel it does not do the character justice or give them enough credit to simply call them edgelords if that makes any sense.

Illidan is definitely edgy. He was brought back with the purpose of being edgy. Beside Illidan, I don't consider any other character to be edgy. Khadgar and Turalyon were edgy with their warnings.

Last time edgy was cool in Warcraft was when Medivh was flying around Lordaeron, warning the Alliance of the impending doom.

Deleted
    There is definitely something ever so slightly hilarious about dark and brooding characters in a cartoon game. On the other hand, the adjective "edgy" always says a lot less about the edgy character than about the envy of its user knowing just how bland and spineless they themselves are in comparison.

There's nothing wrong with valuing another person's opinion from time to time. It doesn't make you a brainless sheep like other aggressive forum posters may suggest.