Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Thanks for all of that!

So it seems that, yes, I am ill equipped. I have 1 of each weapon, and only 1 set of armor, which is geared towards Stealth.

I got to Meridian, and even farther. I was getting concerned that I was running way too far ahead of my level, so I started going through my side quest list trying to get more xp and rewards. Seems i'm going to have to stack up some more cash in the game and get more weapons and armor if I want to progress forward.
    theres a thunderjaw site where you can kill(need tear arrows) thunderjaws, go to campsite, quick save then reload and keep doing it for xp/mods/shard and sell the mods for more currency. i used it more for the mods to sell and use than lvls. lvls only give you like 100HP extra and thats it. no extra dmg or anything like that so its not really necessary for you to lvl up. i beat the story at lvl 29.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    theres a thunderjaw site where you can kill(need tear arrows) thunderjaws, go to campsite, quick save then reload and keep doing it for xp/mods/shard and sell the mods for more currency. i used it more for the mods to sell and use than lvls. lvls only give you like 100HP extra and thats it. no extra dmg or anything like that so its not really necessary for you to lvl up. i beat the story at lvl 29.
    LOL! I'm 9 levels (or less) from there. I should just plow through the story just to get it done. The story really is interesting, so I think it is worth it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Honestly I have been sucking at combat too. Well, part of it. I would hit weak points with whatever weakness my scanner found and it wouldn't do jack shit against them and I would just get destroyed unless it's a human or watcher. I added tear runes to my weapon but I'm guessing I am going to have to have multiple bows and one doesn't work for everything as said. I've ended up moving down the tree putting points into spear skills but I like bows, it's part of why I got the damned game. Can you reset skills or am I stuck with that investment? Not that it's a bad one I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    Honestly I have been sucking at combat too. Well, part of it. I would hit weak points with whatever weakness my scanner found and it wouldn't do jack shit against them and I would just get destroyed unless it's a human or watcher. I added tear runes to my weapon but I'm guessing I am going to have to have multiple bows and one doesn't work for everything as said. I've ended up moving down the tree putting points into spear skills but I like bows, it's part of why I got the damned game. Can you reset skills or am I stuck with that investment? Not that it's a bad one I think.
    From what i've been told here, you really need to use the right element.

For example, there are hunting challenges which will say that you should shoot certain parts off with fire, or ice, or shock. On certain enemies, if you hit a canister with a fire arrow, they will explode.

That's my problem. I struggle against some of the bigger enemies whos components say they are weak to fire. I hit it with a fire arrow multiple times and it doesn't seem to do anything at all. I've hit canisters with fire arrows and nothing happens, as far as I can tell. I mean I've gotten clean shots on things where I'm like "die asshole" and it takes off || of its |------------------| health. I could just be bad, it's entirely possible and likely lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    i'll have to defer to the pro's here. I too have a really hard time with the combat.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's my problem. I struggle against some of the bigger enemies whos components say they are weak to fire. I hit it with a fire arrow multiple times and it doesn't seem to do anything at all. I've hit canisters with fire arrows and nothing happens, as far as I can tell. I mean I've gotten clean shots on things where I'm like "die asshole" and it takes off || of its |------------------| health. I could just be bad, it's entirely possible and likely lol.
    Ok take Snapjaws for instance, the alligator machines. They can be a pain, they are vulnerable to fire.

I start off with knocking off some of the plate behind their head/shoulders with a tearblast arrow, this will also knock components in the same are.
    Then what you want to do (what I do) is hit them fire bomb. You want fire icon to be full with a white circle around it, that means they're now cooking and vulnerable. Then you can pelt it with your normal arrow for double damage. If the fire goes out then set them on fire again.

Also all canisters aren't created equally. Hitting a Grazer's cannister is spectacular, they run into their buddies and blow up. Free loot. Hitting a Strider, the horse and probably easier machine in the game, not as impactful. Not all canisters are blaze canisters, some need to to be shocked or frozen. Your scanner and notebook will tell you which.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    them little birds get decimated by fire, that's about as much as my skills took me.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    i'll have to defer to the pro's here. I too have a really hard time with the combat.
    Use the scanner a lot.

I find stealth in this game pretty op. Can just 1 shot most things from the tall grass and the dino's keep running over to inspect whats going on and fall into my trap. Or can just use rocks to get them to come close and bam!

The big boys you need the right gear/element or just run imo. Humans go for headshots and the critical strikes will quickly take down an entire camp

The combat can be tricky and if you're not dodging enough or running around you're screwed. The best thing is to scan what element they're weak to and use that....Like if they're weak to fire use fire arrows til the fire thing above them is lit up with a white line around it, then switch to a weapon with high tear to get armor off. This is one of the only games ive noticed where you want to have a ton of weapons simply for their purposes(like my shadow sharpshot bow, I use that to tear armor off specific spots. I would also HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend getting a ropecaster. It ties down enemy robots(and it's basically required for the flying ones). The combat to me is insanely enjoyable but it's VERY unforgiving when you mess up and get yourself pinned. Also as the posted above me stated....Stealth is a little too overpowered imho. Also overriding the machines to fight for you is huge while in stealth as well. Get the permanent combat override trait. Makes some things MUCH easier.
    Last edited by RuneDK; 2017-07-09 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    Get the permanent combat override trait. Makes some things MUCH easier.
    I have to admit, when I hit the level cap I found it SOOOO much more enjoyable to be overriding machines and having them to fight eachother for me! ^_^ Prior to that I used it sparingly as you don't get XP from controlled ones getting killed. It's really fun to send the buffalo in to kill eachother (though keep WAY back for their bombs to go off! >_<)

10+ Year Old Account
    Anybody Ultra Hard yet?

Is it a fun challenge or is everything just a bullet sponge?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Anybody Ultra Hard yet?

Ultra hard on new game+ is a fun challenge. Its not too insane with needing 1000's of arrows per mob you just dont want to get hit too much

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Anybody Ultra Hard yet?

The ai changes are the big difference, you arent instantly invisible in grass forever and enemies chase and hunt in a much wider radius. Its a lot more fun than "more hp and damage" when you are in grass surrounded by watchers and they see you and call 3 scrappers from the next valley.

Thanks for all of that!

So it seems that, yes, I am ill equipped. I have 1 of each weapon, and only 1 set of armor, which is geared towards Stealth.

I got to Meridian, and even farther. I was getting concerned that I was running way too far ahead of my level, so I started going through my side quest list trying to get more xp and rewards. Seems i'm going to have to stack up some more cash in the game and get more weapons and armor if I want to progress forward.
    I only ever had one set of weapons and one set of armor and played the game just fine. I focused on stealth, tear and just straight damage increases on my weapons with stealth and damage resistance on my armor. I enjoyed the hell out of it. The only enemy that gave me trouble throughout the game was the Stormbird because I didn't have a ropecaster equipped or a high enough level one at all until right before the final mission...I honestly didn't even know what a ropecaster could do until then. There were other challenging enemies to fight and I just had to be careful when fighting the , but the Stormbird just felt unfair and like it took WAY too much effort to bring them down.

Still easily my game of the year and up there with the best games I've ever played.

@Katchii complete agree on the goty and it's up there for me for best games ever played as well(and I'm only 20 hours in). Can't wait to try ultra new game +

Different bows allow the use of different arrows which are used for specific things, the higher grade the bow the more types of ammunition it can use so focus on getting high quality weapons ASAP as they help A LOT. So you need to make sure you're using the right ammunition. Pay attention to the icon you see on your scanner and match that to the right type of arrow and you're good. Also, some of the components that are weak to fire/tear/piercing/etc... are sometimes buried under armor that you need to take off.

As far as I'm aware there is no way to reinvest your points, but you can eventually have all skills if you level up enough which you can do by hunting machines and clearing areas.

I used an incredibly stealth focused approach when playing, setting traps and sniping from afar while in grass and such on bigger enemies and whistling to draw weaker enemies in to one shot them with a stealth kill. As you clear the cauldrons though you get the ability to override more and more machines, eventually being able to override them all, so I would override some enemies to help fight for me too by hiding then whistling to call them over and then overriding them. Made for some pretty epic fights and I absolutely loved that. I couldn't just run and gun, I had to be mindful of my surroundings and take a tactical approach to everything, but I gathered practically everything I came across so I always had materials for ammo and stuff.

So I feel really stupid. I was giving this game another go last night, as i keep hearing how great it is but I just SUCK at it and I know it's me not the game. I guess it's probably because I didn't do those training missions for the weapons or I missed something at the start but I had a loading screen and it told me to keep shooting to fill the effect bar of an enemy. I thought to myself "like the "bar" for the rope caster that fills up?" I was on the mission of following the soldiers who got locked out of the fort before meridian and I got the the water where Aloy says "looks like something dragged him into the water"...I thought some robot fish or some shit...as I swam I saw nothing until I turned my camera and saw a big ass crocodile swimming at me...bout shit myself and I knew I was fucked as I hid in bushes and see 2 more on the other side of the island. Then that loading screen tip hit me and I saw it was weak to fire. I hit that thing with fire arrows and sure enough it filled up per hit then it caught on fire "which I thought 1 hit was "on fire" until I saw it burst into flames" and blew up taking nearly half of its HP...and then I realized how to play the game...I feel stupid lol.

So I feel really stupid. I was giving this game another go last night, as i keep hearing how great it is but I just SUCK at it and I know it's me not the game. I guess it's probably because I didn't do those training missions for the weapons or I missed something at the start but I had a loading screen and it told me to keep shooting to fill the effect bar of an enemy. I thought to myself "like the "bar" for the rope caster that fills up?" I was on the mission of following the soldiers who got locked out of the fort before meridian and I got the the water where Aloy says "looks like something dragged him into the water"...I thought some robot fish or some shit...as I swam I saw nothing until I turned my camera and saw a big ass crocodile swimming at me...bout shit myself and I knew I was fucked as I hid in bushes and see 2 more on the other side of the island. Then that loading screen tip hit me and I saw it was weak to fire. I hit that thing with fire arrows and sure enough it filled up per hit then it caught on fire "which I thought 1 hit was "on fire" until I saw it burst into flames" and blew up taking nearly half of its HP...and then I realized how to play the game...I feel stupid lol.
    I honestly never noticed the bar, I just noticed on some enemies I got different effects when hitting certain things. The one that got me was the big one with the giant tank on their back, the ones that spit fire or ice (Bellowback). Scanned them to see they're weak to piercing and hit the tank with a piercing arrow and nothing happened, it just took a little more damage. Thought to myself...that can't be right, that can't be ALL that happens. So I hit it again and BOOOM! I realized from that point that sometimes you just have to hit the right place with the right thing multiple times to get the effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I honestly never noticed the bar, I just noticed on some enemies I got different effects when hitting certain things. The one that got me was the big one with the giant tank on their back, the ones that spit fire or ice (Bellowback). Scanned them to see they're weak to piercing and hit the tank with a piercing arrow and nothing happened, it just took a little more damage. Thought to myself...that can't be right, that can't be ALL that happens. So I hit it again and BOOOM! I realized from that point that sometimes you just have to hit the right place with the right thing multiple times to get the effect.
    Yeah, im doing better now. I also was able to afford some "epic" weapons. So I have hardpoint arrows and things like that now which are helping. Though I got too cocky and saw some giant ass bird attacking some people and thought "I got this"...I didn't have it.