Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gael40 View Post
    Nah, you're wrong. The difference is just as marked in France, Germany and the United Kingdom to name a few. To give you an exemple, and since I'm French : in france you have a mediterranean South and a "nordic" noorthern part just like in italy. Half of france uses olive oil to cook things, the other half butter.

Then you have local differences, probably even more marked than in italy : Brittany in the north west is Celtic through and through, and was not part of the Kingdom of France for a very long time. They share some ancestry and quite a bit of their culture with Ireland. Their dialect has nothing to do with French or any other french dialect (Breizh atau !). In the east you have Alsace and Lorraine which are as much german as they are French in ancestry. Their dialect is german in essence (but barely anyone speaks it anymore).

In the north you have a culture very close to the Belgian one. They speak the chti'.

Then you have the south west and the south east, with their own languages, where they play rugby rather than football (historically). You even have a further division in the south west between the Landais and the Basques, the latter being one of the most ancient people of Europe, speaking a language related with no other language in the world. One of the theory is that they lived in Europe prior to the current populations and were chased to the Pyrhenean chain. You also have Corsica which is more Italian than French in essence. Not to mention Paris, which is its own beast with its own posh and arrogant culture.

Food is obviously entirely different between regions, and "french restaurants" don't really mean anything. Cultures and genetic vary wildly between regions, because France has actually been influenced by most of western Europe. It's not totally mediterranean, not totally nordic, somewhere in between.

germany has a lot of difference between its Lander, and the UK is quite an obvious one... I would say that Italy has the same level of diversity as Spain culturally (quite a lot by global standards, but not that much by european ones). Sure there is a clear North/South divide, and there even are some people of germanic language/descent in the Alps thanks to WWI (quite recent), but you're really underestimating the lack of homogeneity of other european countries.
    is it really like that? i've never saw that diversity in my roams through europe. Well good to know anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Why would it be bad if it's not unhealthy? It's... Bad towards the animals you're not killing? You've really got me confused here xD
    Those animals? Plotting to rule the world. They must die. All of them, one burger at a time. Mark my words, those cows are devious little things...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I think it is harder to unite such established countries, with such diverse and unique cultural identities and individual, deep histories. There (correct me if I am wrong, I have only lived in Germany and Italy) are some very rich countries, amd some not so rich countries. Europe was not "born" as a collection like the United States, where it is and has always been an umbrella of being American. Sure Texans love to claim Texas and my friends from NYC let me know where they are from every chance they get, but they are Americans first.
    My experience with Italians and Germans are that they are Italian and German first, European second.
    I do not know how to 'solve' that...well I would not call it a problem, but the over arcing (Euro)world view needs to be changed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbrownie View Post
    First of all, i never really mentioned Hitler, just his Italian sidekick. But please forgive me if i don't like when people talk about a unified europe and blablabla when the latest effort of achieving that also cost millions of lives in the process.
    Hitler and Mussolini had no mind of unifying Europe, their goals were to dominate Europe forcefully. There is a GIGANTIC difference.

What the hell have you been smoking? So we should just die so the universe can do....what?
    You don't die from not eating animals, dude. What the hell have you been smoking?

Not that I'm actually saying you shouldn't be eating animals, by the way. Eating animals is just a part of the natural cycle. What I'm saying is that you should appreciate your place as part of the environment, not above it.

Deleted
    Hitler and Mussolini had no mind of unifying Europe, their goals were to dominate Europe forcefully. There is a GIGANTIC difference.
    There is a difference, but it isn't gigantic. They don't go around and deport jews this time, but they're trying to fulfil some of uncle Adolfs wishes

You don't die from not eating animals, dude. What the hell have you been smoking?
    Speak for yourself, but i'd die if i can't eat meat anymore.

Not that I'm actually saying you shouldn't be eating animals, by the way. Eating animals is just a part of the natural cycle. What I'm saying is that you should appreciate your place as part of the environment, not above it.
    We are at the top of the food chain, no living being on this planet is a threat to us. Food chains are natural.
    I think depleting Earth's resources and pollution is a more viable threat than me eating meat 3 times a week

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    There is a difference, but it isn't gigantic. They don't go around and deport jews this time, but they're trying to fulfil some of uncle Adolfs wishes
    "Deport". What a cute way of putting it.

And no, they're not fulfilling any of Adolf's wishes. Adolf's wishes were simple: use the peoples and lands of Europe for the benefit of what he viewed as the Aryan race.

Speak for yourself, but i'd die if i can't eat meat anymore.
    No, you physiologically wouldn't.

We are at the top of the food chain, no living being on this planet is a threat to us. Food chains are natural.
    Yes, they are, and everything we do by extension is natural. But one must also realize that the Earth has never hosted an organism capable of changing it to this extent in such a short period of time.

Deleted
    Controlled by the Mafia?

Before finnish independence, a wise man said/wrote: "We are not swedish, we do not want to be russian, so let us be finnish".

That sums it up for me.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tumppu View Post
    Before finnish independence, a wise man said/wrote: "We are not swedish, we do not want to be russian, so let us be finnish".

That sums it up for me.
    Why does everyone assume it's an European or [insert nationality] proposition? Why can't it be European and [insert nationality]?

7+ Year Old Account
    Why does everyone assume it's an European or [insert nationality] proposition? Why can't it be European and [insert nationality]?
    because a lot of people just see it as such as the European package and being reduced to mere states doesnt sit well with them I think the EU suffers from massive PR problem and a lack of transparency like you already stated, and the thought of being dominated by either Germany and France no so much either.
    Last edited by Karamaru; 2017-07-07 at 07:20 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    It's easy to destroy but hard to build.

I support the EU because it's a starting point to create a unified, powerful Europe. If you always give up, leave or break at the first sign of difficulty, you'll never get anywhere.
    I also support the idea (or ideal) of a unified EU in principle. But currently there are too many problems that the very undemocratic EU elite refuses to address. Instead they keep pushing down the same path that has already been proven to be a highway to hell.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macilento View Post
    Hello boys, i'm Italian, and while i absolutely love the idea and what Europe SHOULD means , in reality we are far as possible from that idea. In fact it's getting worse and worse each year.

But fellow europeans, do you see a future where Europe will finally become a united and more cohesive place?
    My answer is very simple: NO it won't, BUT, we can definetly get better at it and get nearer to that idea.

Maybe you don't know this, but Italy is like a blueprint for Europe.
    Italy is divided in 20 regions, and every region, while all being Italian, share A LOT of differencies. Dialect, political views, cooking, general ways of living can change quite drastically. Infact living for example in south italy is a completely different experience then living in north italy.

This is because what happened in our past that lead to different reigns and countries, not to mention our position is quite strategic and we were influenced by basically every possible civilization in history.

So the differences are there and are very visible, even if you are a stranger the first time visiting our country you can definetly see all of the above.
    Does this lead to "conflict"? Yes, but at the same time it's a great value to have so many different aspects, thoughts, views united under a single banner. The problem is making them work together.

That bring us back to the Europe problem as you can see the similarities are there. YOu can maybe consider Europe as a "Giant Italy" with the differences i descripted even more marked and strong. That's why i do not see Europe being a really true united place to live in.

Even now in 2017 we have still all of those prejudice between us, these are laughable and ironic, but kinda true at the same time.

Examples: "France are Italy are BAD cousins" "Germany is still third reich style of government" "All people in northern countries (denmark, norway, sweden) are sad" "Eastern Europe is just a bunch of drunken dudes and criminals", "Everyone laugh at Italy, the fool of the village", "Everyone is a drug addict in Netherland", and many more.

These are exagerations, and hoe people percive one another is an individual effort as well, but all of these should go away if we want Europe to be what it should be in the future.

Thanks
    You do understand that this can be applied to every single country in the world and is in no way unique to Italy?
    Countries are different.
    Regions within countries are different.
    Cities and municipalities within countries are different.
    Regions within cities are different.

But I get your point. Coexistence is already something we do, despite differences.

- - - Updated - - -

Because some people are one-track minds. Simple minds that can't or don't want to grasp a larger picture.

Deleted
    "Deport". What a cute way of putting it.

And no, they're not fulfilling any of Adolf's wishes. Adolf's wishes were simple: use the peoples and lands of Europe for the benefit of what he viewed as the Aryan race.
    There is nothing cute about it.
    And yes he wanted Lebensraum for his people. Kinda what they want to do right now.

No, you physiologically wouldn't.
    Yes i actually would.