Thread: Cultured Meat

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Cultured Meat

Cultured or synthetic meat, what do you think of it? Meat grown from cells taken from animals in a non-harmful way as opposed to harming real animals.

Do you think it has a future? Do you think it would solve a lot of the controversies we have about the meat industries such as animal cruelty?

@Theodarzna @Yvaelle @Connal

And in a future where a majority of meat is grown from cells and most livestock effectively becomes obsolete, what should be the fate of those animals?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have zero care where my Meat comes from. The Animal is literally grown to be killed and consumed. People that compare livestock to pets to try to evoke some sort of emotional reaction I generally find to be pretentious cockbags.

if it tastes the same and is safe i dont care what i eat

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    I have zero care where my Meat comes from. The Animal is literally grown to be killed and consumed. People that compare livestock to pets to try to evoke some sort of emotional reaction I generally find to be pretentious cockbags.
    It's not about comparing livestock to pets (although I've heard pigs can make well enough housepets) it's more about the cruel conditions many of the animals are forced to endure to feed a surplus population.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't much care where it comes from. If we can create meat in a non-harmful way, that's a huge bonus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being able to mimic nature in a non-harmful way?

Really don't care.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Definitely depends on taste: if it tastes fine, I'm all for it it. If it tastes off, or awful: no thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    This exactly. As long as the meat tastes the same, looks the same, smells the same, I don't care where it comes from.

As for the animals, we'll have to stop breeding them. Stock animals couldn't survive in the wild. Well, some could. Chickens, pigs, the more exotic stuff like emu, they wouldn't have too much of an issue. But not things like cows. Their requirements are vast, and as wilderness is shrinking as we keep growing, they just won't have the room to move about in herds like they do now. They'd be picked off by wild predators, and who's to say not hunted by humans?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

It's not so much about harming animals for me (but it's nice, ofc, that less animals have to die for food), it's more about that we can reduce the massive space on the planet that all the farmland and farm animals take up, and don't even get me started on all the methane gas they produce...it could be a huge step in saving the environment!

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Cultured or synthetic meat, what do you think of it? Meat grown from cells taken from animals in a non-harmful way as opposed to harming real animals.

Do you think it has a future? Do you think it would solve a lot of the controversies we have about the meat industries such as animal cruelty?

@Theodarzna @Yvaelle @Connal

And in a future where a majority of meat is grown from cells and most livestock effectively becomes obsolete, what should be the fate of those animals?
    It seems like a good option for meat production to minimize the problem of industrial meat production.

The major problem is a lot of livestock animals are unable to survive as a species without mankind so we would have to have some kind of wild or re-wild stock of these creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

well as others have said, as long as it's safe to eat and tastes fine/the same, I'd eat it.

As to the other arguments, for me it's not so much about eating animals (though I am fortunate enough to be able to be picky about the meat I buy and where it is sourced), raising animals for slaughter is extremely resource intensive. Need a lot land, which forces deforestation. Need water to grow the stuff to feed the animals, which uses a lot of water. can use that water and crops to feed starving people. transportation to move the meat and animals around. and not to mention animal flatulence and CO2 emissions. I love meat but the less reliant we can be on this type of meat production the better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind it

Although would suck if traditional Cow Town (Ft Worth) suddenly became lab grown meat town instead. Loses a lot of its history, I think. In the name of keeping local cultures alive, I say cattle should still be allowed to be raised to be killed if restaurants want cattle over lab.

Deleted
    I don't care about animals getting slaughtered for meat, but if it tastes good why not.

This argument is nonsensical. Just because something was raised for x purpose does not mean x purpose is ethical. So if I raise a human for the sole purpose of raping them it's fine? Because that's what they were born for? See how your logic fails? For fuck sakes people are dense, I mean okay you eat meat, but why do you try to justify it with awful arguments like this? Try harder.

@OP
    In a couple of decades veganism will be normalized and we look back and think we were barbaric, I can already imagine some of the replies calling me a lunatic but oh well, I can't blame them since it's so ingrained in our culture right now. It is similar to how slavery was culturally accepted back then and now it's considered barbaric, or similar to how the perception of smoking has changed over the past few decades. We'll be forced to do it due to environmental reasons, not to mention the health benefits and of course the ethics. If lab grown meat is a thing then it will of course replace "real" meat, although I could see a niche market opening up for "real" meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    It seems like a good option for meat production to minimize the problem of industrial meat production.

The major problem is a lot of livestock animals are unable to survive as a species without mankind so we would have to have some kind of wild or re-wild stock of these creatures.
    Some heavily engineered breeds like dairy cattle or domesticated turkeys would probably be incapable of being "rewilded" and would likely remain in captivity and treated a similar way we treat "obsolete" animals in the developed world like horses, donkeys and mules.

Certain breeds of hardy domestic cattle like beef breeds and Spanish fighting cattle can be "rewilded" and sent to rewilding reserves where they can essentially become de-domesticated and retake their range in much of Europe, the Middle East and Siberia.

I imagine a similar process of de-domestication could be applied to various species like pigs (Eurasia), chickens (Southeast Asia) and sheep (Middle East and Central Asia).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeyar View Post
    This argument is nonsensical. Just because something was raised for x purpose does not mean x purpose is ethical. So if I raise a human for the sole purpose of raping them it's fine? Because that's what they were born for? See how your logic fails? For fuck sakes people are dense, I mean okay you eat meat, but why do you try to justify it with awful arguments like this? Try harder.

@OP
    In a couple of decades veganism will be normalized and we look back and think we were barbaric, I can already imagine some of the replies calling me a lunatic but oh well, I can't blame them since it's so ingrained in our culture right now. It is similar to how slavery was culturally accepted back then and now it's considered barbaric, or similar to how the perception of smoking has changed over the past few decades. We'll be forced to do it due to environmental reasons, not to mention the health benefits and of course the ethics. If lab grown meat is a thing then it will of course replace "real" meat, although I could see a niche market opening up for "real" meat.

I can't wait for people like you to die off. You are such a plague on society, it's ridiculous that you're allowed to live in the first place.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-07-08 at 02:58 AM.
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Easy. If the synthetic stuff would taste like the real deal, I don´t care where it comes from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I can't wait for people like you to die off. You are such a plague on society, it's ridiculous that you're allowed to live in the first place.
    That's really unnecessary and adds nothing to the thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    That's really unnecessary and adds nothing to the thread.
    Then report it and move on. No need to call it out. I'll take my infraction for that, thanks.