Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Both sides are wrong. Reddit just made themselves worse by being huge hypocrites about it. In times of morally wrong actions, you don't get to have your cake and eat it too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    Both sides are wrong. Reddit just made themselves worse by being huge hypocrites about it. In times of morally wrong actions, you don't get to have your cake and eat it too.
    No way! Lord Kek the great won the memewar against libturds CuckNewsNetwork lolololol #MAGA /s
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Link: http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/05/cn...l-info-leaked/

Wow so, it looks like it didn't take long for Reddit users to fight back against a giant media corporation using it's power to threaten posters there.

I'm not sure I'm ok with this, as two wrongs don't make a right. And threats of criminal activity are always bad. But, you have to admire the speed with which they trolled CNN back.

Click the link to see the missing tweets in the story.
    So angry people who don't like Doxxing, then Doxx CNN......

well isn't that the height of hypocrisy. Guess Trump taught them well.

i would hardly call this trolling.....

Fuck- that child molester...lets go molest his children!!!!! Whoot for Mob logic

Quote Originally Posted by ehxy View Post
    Listen if anyone says this about you

"CNN reserves the right to publish <your> identity should any of that change."

Who the hell even says that besides villains in some superhero movie who are threatening the hero's secret identity?
    I mean obviously hansolo is no hero but I mean who the hell says that?

Would you not be pissed off? This is a news network that for the most part I held to a much higher standard than FOX news. This was their public stance and issued statement. These were supposed to be the good guys.

They can fuck right off and yeah they can threaten to go there well the people don't threatened they went there and took their bait. Bring it on. Don't negotiate with terrorists because that was a terrorist tactic.
    They can and do have the right to do that if you do something newsworthy, and getting your shit re-tweeted by the sitting President of the United States, and whose content consists of a hot-topic issue (media's credibility) and portraying violence on the media (regardless of how benign or a joke it is) can certainly be argued as 'newsworthy'.

You can argue it wasn't newsworthy, you would have a point, I certainly don't think it warranted the attention of a major news network, but I can also see how it would warrant a mention or in a segment. /shrug

People are so eager to discredit media that often doesn't ally with their own beliefs, and I find it ironic CNN is getting shat on despite it probably being the biggest asset Trump had during the election.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Even then it doesn't make any sense, it just makes the folks on Reddit who were faux-outraged for the early part of this week look hypocritical as fuck and paints them as ACTUAL assholes who published folks personal information and harassed/threatened them and their families. Mind you, from what I've seen many of the folks they published personal info on had nothing to do with the stupid gif story beyond happening to also work at CNN and their families surely didn't.

Meanwhile, CNN, the ones who are apparently the big bad evil ones, didn't reveal the information of the gif creator despite all the outrage.

Still not seeing the moral high ground, just a bunch of assholes on reddit looking down at CNN and apparently thinking, "Man, we're going to cry BLACKMAIL and ILLEGAL about CNN's threats and how low they went, but I'm pretty sure we can go way lower by actually carrying out the doxxing and then harassing them!"

Unless I'm just not enlightened enough, or something?
    You were totally in favor of doxing somebody and broadcasting it on national television when it was some rando on the internet who posted a meme, so logically you must be fully in favor of doxing CNN employees who are far higher profile and far more powerful than some rando shitposter.

I mean, if the bar for doxing is so low that posting a meme warrants it, then every CNN employee would fall under your own criteria, and its only fair that the public be allowed to go and protest in front of their houses. It would be nice to not live in a society ruled by pitchfork wielding mobs, but the people who are supporting CNN's behavior have made this a reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    They can and do have the right to do that if you do something newsworthy, and getting your shit re-tweeted by the sitting President of the United States, and whose content consists of a hot-topic issue (media's credibility) and portraying violence on the media (regardless of how benign or a joke it is) can certainly be argued as 'newsworthy'.

You can argue it wasn't newsworthy, you would have a point, I certainly don't think it warranted the attention of a major news network, but I can also see how it would warrant a mention or in a segment. /shrug

People are so eager to discredit media that often doesn't ally with their own beliefs, and I find it ironic CNN is getting shat on despite it probably being the biggest asset Trump had during the election.
    Being involved with distributing fake news is pretty newsworthy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    So angry people who don't like Doxxing, then Doxx CNN......

well isn't that the height of hypocrisy. Guess Trump taught them well.

i would hardly call this trolling.....

Fuck- that child molester...lets go molest his children!!!!! Whoot for Mob logic
    I think people realized that CNN is like the Escobar cartel, which required the Columbian government to actually create its own death squads to take down.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    You were totally in favor of doxing somebody and broadcasting it on national television when it was some rando on the internet who posted a meme, so logically you must be fully in favor of doxing CNN employees who are far higher profile and far more powerful than some rando shitposter.
    Not at all, please quote where I supported that. I explicitly and often referred to my general distaste with CNN's behavior, despite acknowledging that it was neither illegal nor did it likely cross any proper ethical lines - though it toed the hell out of it.

But like it or not, the guy had his gif retweeted by Trump, that propels him, or at least his Reddit username, to a level of national attention that may warrant press coverage. Now normally, this wouldn't be the kind of thing press or anyone would give a fuck about so this wouldn't be happening. But given the content of the gif, Trumps rhetoric regarding the press, Trumps history of posting extreme-right, bigoted memes, this posters history with creating and sharing similar content, there's suddenly a bit of interest. All that info was public, CNN didn't have to do anything secret to find out who he was. He may never have intended for or wanted fame or national notoriety, but well, that's kinda how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

And no, the CNN employees public names and all are fine, but actually hunting down and publishing info on them, and especially on their family is wrong - at least until one of them becomes of public interest and warrants national attention specifically. Even then, my stance would largely be the same as my current one towards CNN handling of this nonsense. It wouldn't be illegal/unethical, but it would still likely be toeing the line and be scummy as hell.

I mean, if the bar for doxing is so low that posting a meme warrants it,
    Get your meme retweeted by the president and I'll agree.

Context matters, bucko.

It would be nice to not live in a society ruled by pitchfork wielding mobs, but the people who are supporting CNN's behavior have made this a reality.
    Again, please quote where I supported this behavior.

I'll wait, I've got this weekend off work : )

“Frustrated by our critics’ double standards,” a CNN insider said on condition of anonymity. “Frustrated that CNN staffers’ private information is being published in ‘retaliation’ — when the network made the decision to not out the Reddit user. Frustrated by the speed in which misinformation, lies and hate spreads. Frustrated that POTUS’s son has no accountability.”
    Their threat that they might release the personal info on a whim in the future lost them any moral high ground.

People on the internet being raging hypocrites? Color me shocked. I don't agree with what CNN did, but this just shows that the people so "disgusted and outraged" that someone who doxx are just trying to claim moral high ground.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    So were these "several anchors and reporters at CNN" who weren't Kaczynski (but had their information released anyway) involved with this in the slightest, outside of being employed at CNN?
    The individuals who were doxxed were Wolf Blitzer, Daniel Patrick Merica, Cavid Chalain, Don R. Lemon, Brian Stellar, and Erick W. Erickson. Unless I'm mistaken, all individuals doxxed were either directly involved with vetting, investigating, and reporting the story.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    The individuals who were doxxed were Wolf Blitzer, Daniel Patrick Merica, Cavid Chalain, Don R. Lemon, Brian Stellar, and Erick W. Erickson. Unless I'm mistaken, all individuals doxxed were either directly involved with vetting, investigating, and reporting the story.
    Where did you find out that they were all involved in the story? Just double checked the story itself and there's no mention of any of them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Where did you find out that they were all involved in the story? Just double checked the story itself and there's no mention of any of them.
    I double checked the CNN article as well and can't see all the contributors. I can't quite remember where exactly I got the information, but now I'm thinking it was probably Reddit or 4chan, so it could be (likely?) wrong and make me fake news (#FNN). I'll update this post if I can find the source (unless it's something like Brietbart, which is about as credibly as Reddit/4chan).
    Last edited by Magical Mudcrab; 2017-07-08 at 06:06 AM.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Not at all, please quote where I supported that. I explicitly and often referred to my general distaste with CNN's behavior, despite acknowledging that it was neither illegal nor did it likely cross any proper ethical lines - though it toed the hell out of it.

But like it or not, the guy had his gif retweeted by Trump, that propels him, or at least his Reddit username, to a level of national attention that may warrant press coverage. Now normally, this wouldn't be the kind of thing press or anyone would give a fuck about so this wouldn't be happening. But given the content of the gif, Trumps rhetoric regarding the press, Trumps history of posting extreme-right, bigoted memes, this posters history with creating and sharing similar content, there's suddenly a bit of interest. All that info was public, CNN didn't have to do anything secret to find out who he was. He may never have intended for or wanted fame or national notoriety, but well, that's kinda how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

And no, the CNN employees public names and all are fine, but actually hunting down and publishing info on them, and especially on their family is wrong - at least until one of them becomes of public interest and warrants national attention specifically. Even then, my stance would largely be the same as my current one towards CNN handling of this nonsense. It wouldn't be illegal/unethical, but it would still likely be toeing the line and be scummy as hell.

Get your meme retweeted by the president and I'll agree.

Context matters, bucko.

Again, please quote where I supported this behavior.

I'll wait, I've got this weekend off work : )
    I bolded the part where you invoke pitchfork wielding mobs. You support doxing this guy because you want to link other things he posted that are 'racist and bigoted' to Trump. In order to do that, first you need to paint the meme creator as a bigot and racist, and then you tie him to Trump with some guilt by association narrative.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Honestly, CNN should have never let people know that they knew the name to the guy, if they were not going to say it, they shouldn't have even said they had it.
    I gotta go with this... what CNN did was infinitely stupid... I dont agree with how the internet responded by doxxing CNN folks, but I sure understand how and why it happened. This is a fight that CNN just can not win. Learn the lesson and dont be as arrogant and stupid next time.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    Funny how only the "left" media is held to this magical levels of 'standards" but fox say what ever the freak they want to and its shrugged off.
    Can you list some recent examples of Fox saying whatever they want to and having it shrugged off or are you just talking out of your ass?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumred View Post
    This goes to show you how stupid the leadership at CNN is. Anyone who even remotely knows anything about reddit knew that this would be the end result. I could have told them be ready for your employees info to be posted online if you even mention you tracked down this user. Even bringing up the fact that they could have but decided not to release his information assured this outcome.
    1000% agree. you never underestimate the revenge of internet trolls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Reddit allegedly bans subs for promoting doxxing.

Just kidding reddit would never ban T_D.
    If I remember correctly, one of those higher ups said they thought of banning t_d multiple times, but refrained from doing so because it acts a 'quarantine' zone. A controlled cesspit if you will. So other sub-reddits have to deal less often with the nonsense that is posted there.
    But now the biggest part,
    is all about the image
    and not the art

10+ Year Old Account
    So from this thread I learned.
    People disagree on the definition of the words blackmail, coercion, and threaten.
    Many here seem to think that what CNN did was TERRIBLE!!
    Some of those same people think that ACTUALLY doxxing CNN employees is "almost as bad" as what CNN did, and CNN deserves what they got.

The silly thing about this "threat", is that it's the fucking internet, hansolo or whoever he is could simply make a new user name and trash CNN and the jews all he likes.

Deleted
    Still not seeing the moral high ground, just a bunch of assholes on reddit looking down at CNN and apparently thinking, "Man, we're going to cry BLACKMAIL and ILLEGAL about CNN's threats and how low they went, but I'm pretty sure we can go way lower by actually carrying out the doxxing and then harassing them!"

Unless I'm just not enlightened enough, or something?
    Not to disagree, but to see where we're heading.

Your post history suggests you're a (former?) gamergator.
    I think you do know what's going on. The events discussed in this thread are atrocious, but performed by a small minority of bad apples or whatevs. We don't even know who the perpetrators are; a 3rd party? a false flag?.
    People are legitimizing the larger group of... "moderate shitposters"? (lel). It's seven layers of shit down there. And what little criticism can be levied against CNN is substantially shadowed by the disproportionate response.

Which is a shame because, I think, what CNN did is alarming, and indicative of the things to come.
    They're not at "voters are dead" levels of stupid. Yet. Though "it's illegal to possess the leaks" back in October came perilously close to them de-legitimizing the common citizen as a decider of truth. And this one episode can easily be interpreted as petty revenge for mocking CNN.

But, compared to gumergate, you're finding yourself on the other side of the fence now. Which, I'm guessing, is personal growth or something. Note that I'm not suggesting hypocrisy: it's possible to be consistently against harassment from either side of the fence. So, what do you think about the narrative today? should they double down and crush the plebs? is any party able to stop this debacle from developing further?.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Link: http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/05/cn...l-info-leaked/

Wow so, it looks like it didn't take long for Reddit users to fight back against a giant media corporation using it's power to threaten posters there.

I'm not sure I'm ok with this, as two wrongs don't make a right. And threats of criminal activity are always bad. But, you have to admire the speed with which they trolled CNN back.

Click the link to see the missing tweets in the story.
    It sounds like you're happy about people getting death and rape threats. What a lovely human being you are.

Credit goes to dude on twitter.

journalism in 1870s: going into an insane asylum undercover to investigate patient abuse

journalism in the 1900s: exposing unsafe working conditions & unsanitary practices in food factories, leading to public outcry and new laws

journalism in the 1920s: criticizing your war mongering, yellow journalist "compatriots" backed by a massive media empire

journalism in the 1940s: exposing horrifying war crimes committed by facist regimes

journalism in the 1950s: uncovering false accusations of communist affiliation among the government and hollywood by an insane drunk

1970s: uncovering a corruption scandal so major it destroys an entire cabinet and two presidencies and leads to a colloquialism used today

1960s/70s: extremely dangerous boots on the ground coverage of a war, showing the horrors of war first hand to america's living room

1980s: discovering how the CIA smuggling drugs is connected to secretly selling weapons illegally to middle eastern proxies

1990s: boots on the ground coverage of the first iraqi invasion, giving us forshadowing to the future of american interventionism

2000s: celebrity stalking becomes the norm and is in fact a feature of a popular media conglomerate website

2016: media conglomerate dies because it posted someone's sex tape after a judge ordered a take down. journalists grieve this "loss"

2017: going through some guy's website profile to find his identity and blackmail him because a gif he shared hurt your feelings

journalism then: you faced the prospect of getting shot from speaking truth to power
    journalism now: pictures online are assault

journalism then: a respected, if not liked profession
    journalism now: a joke. you're either a glorified blogger or a total sleaze

Zero sympathy for journalists being doxed and threatened now, while i disagree with what is happening, they 100% brought this upon themselves.