Deleted

Falling in love in wartime Iraq

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38506269

US Army interpreter Nayyef Hrebid and Iraqi soldier Btoo Allami fell in love at the height of the Iraq War. It was the start of a dangerous 12-year struggle to live together as a couple.

In 2003, Nayyef Hrebid found himself in the midst of the Iraq war. The fine art graduate had signed up to be a translator for the US Army after he couldn't find a job.

"I was based in Ramadi, which was the worst place at that time. We would go out on patrols and people would be killed by IEDs [roadside bombs] and snipers. I was asking myself: 'Why am I here? Why am I doing this?'"

However, a chance encounter with a soldier in the Iraqi army changed everything.

"One day I was sitting outside and this guy came out of the shower block. I saw his hair was shiny and very black and he was smiling. I just thought, 'Oh my god, this guy is really cute.'

"I felt like something beautiful had happened in this very bad place."

Hrebid was secretly gay. He hadn't come out because same-sex relationships are taboo in Iraq and gay people are at risk of violent attacks.

"In Iraq being gay is seen as very wrong and brings shame on your family. You can even get killed for it so you have to be very careful," he says.
    What a beautiful story

An actual happy ending with no stoning to death, excellent.

using their names so publicly seems dangerous.

there have been honor killings on people that lives far away from their family before.

but it's a nice story at least.

Deleted
    I feel we need more positive stories like this on MMOC and the world in general

Are they married?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    It's only like 1/4 the article, they moved to the US and were married
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I feel we need more positive stories like this on MMOC and the world in general
    @Tennisace, is that you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It's only like 1/4 the article, they moved to the US and were married
    Yeah I didn't quote it all in fear of wall of text

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that's gay...