Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not necessarily just a labor crisis. At its core, it's a birth rate problem stemming from long-standing cultural issues regarding the immense pressures young people are under to perform academically and professionally, often leaving them emotionally-stunted or otherwise unable to pursue gettin' it on (or too shy to do so). These same pressures also led to the very unique hikkikomori phenomenon when coupled with their culture's view on needing therapy versus handling the problem at home.

Like, sure, refugees would solve the labor issue, but there's a half-dozen other serious problems Japan is faced with due to the plummeting birth rate that are going to require some difficult shifts in social and cultural norms over there, or for the whole thing to bottom out and let the people rebuild. It all ties into the very strict, almost castelike social constructs they're dealing with over there and preserve because their culture heavily favors conservative adherence to tradition and collectivism over individualism and adapting to the times.

All that being said, if the government's current incentives fix the issue to the country's satisfaction, then all's well that ends well. I'm just not convinced that's going to be a viable long-term fix versus just encouraging existing family units to pump out a few more kids every few years.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Difference in work ethics make sure that taking them isn't going to work out.
    I think(?) I know what you meant by this.

Hell, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone outside of Japan who could stomach the fabled 'Salaryman' life, which isn't to say that it's a good thing, just that it would make assimilation all the harder.

From what I understand, Japan would have to start working on a lot of their other cultural issues before they graduate to accepting significantly more immigrants. Japan's one of the most racist countries on the planet. They've got the mantra of "racial purity" on lock, insisting that 98% of their population is one ethnic/racial group. Then, even among this 'one' ethnic group, they then discriminate against the 'lesser' of that group, to the point that it's common practice for those folks to forge identification in order to get housing and jobs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Austilias View Post
    Hell, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone outside of Japan who could stomach the fabled 'Salaryman' life, which isn't to say that it's a good thing, just that it would make assimilation all the harder.
    I was just about to say that considering Japans infamous working hours and work ethic even most westerners that move there dont make it let alone someone who can barely read english let alone read japanese.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Austilias View Post
    I think(?) I know what you meant by this.

There's more jobs than just Salaryman's.

No doubt many of these refugees could thrive in the anime industry, automotive industry, electronic/tech industry etc.

Japan is like a lot of aging nations. A lot of its people have stopped breeding. Europe's solution was to allow terrorist in to work the factories. Japan doesn't see this as a reasonable solution. If they can get robots to do it than so be it. Better than a terrorist until Skynet takes over.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2017-07-08 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TehTemplar View Post
    Japan also seems to have an extremely low crime rate problem, something that refugees can definitely help out with.
    I laughed, because as sad as it is its probably true.

I think Japan is smart by trying to deal with its demographic problems on its own instead of importing labor force from abroad.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Don't blame them a second. Seeing all of the craziness that's going on in a lot of Europe and the U.S., I'd be hesitant to jump on that bandwagon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    There's more jobs than just Salaryman's.

No doubt many of these refugees could thrive in the anime industry, automotive industry, electronic/tech industry etc.
    Yeah well, I doubt it for you then - not sure what makes you think they can other than sheer good will and starry-eyed idealism
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-07-08 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelathos View Post
    Sustainability requires economic models that operate on 0 growth. Japan may be facing trouble, but they are ahead of the curve.
    Pretty much.
    It's a recurring subject to try to claim that Japan "needs" to import people to compensate for its aging population. This dumb reasoning seems to ignore that, one day, we'll all need to find a way to stop population growth, and instead of kicking the can further down the road, actually trying to see how Japan manages it is probably a much better way to find a solution.

Deleted
    Japanese, like Australians, seem to be smart enough to learn from other people's mistakes.

I'm pretty sure that the majority of these "refugees" wouldn't have the slightest qualification to work in any significant profession in Japan. Add the shitloads of problems brought by religion, and there you are; not worth the trouble.

Besides, the contribution of robotics and automation to the overall developement and welfare of humanity is huge. Same can't be said about certain other things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    https://qz.com/1014031/japan-has-a-l...ould-let-them/

Great article here. It's tough to feel sorry for a country which chooses to avoid taking obvious steps to remedy its problems. With an aging population and low birthrate, this does seem like a logical step. Hopefully Nippon makes the jump soon.
    One only has to look at Germany (who had the same problem btw) and how well that worked out for them. Increased violent and sexual crimes. Ya no thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    Don't blame them a second. Seeing all of the craziness that's going on in a lot of Europe and the U.S., I'd be hesitant to jump on that bandwagon.
    Craziness in the U.S.? By refugees? Uhh they've barely taken in any compared to world leaders. You do realize that...

Deleted
    Fuck off.

You diversity advocates won't rest until every single country on this planet looks, feels, smells, talks, dresses and behaves the same way.

Besides, refugee's won't do shit for Japan or any modern country. They/we need highly qualified, professional upper middle class people.

And THEIR countries need them as well.

How come pro-immigration idiots don't understand that? You poach poorer countries of their best while you also moan about colonialism that has no relevance in 2017.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't South Koreas birth rate lower?

Deleted
    Immigration is a band-aid, it won't and it CAN'T solve the problem.

What Japan needs and is in the process of doing, is get rid of as much manual labour jobs as possible so the next generation is educated in things that will matter - math, programming, STEM field.

I think the declining population is a good thing, I mean it is a tiny island with a 1/3 the population of US.

Deleted
    And while we are on the topic of low birth rates and declining population, it is not as black and white as Tennispro wants you to believe.
    The Effects of Population on GDP

But the real question is whether a declining population matters. Assume that there is a smooth downward curve of population, with it decreasing by 20 percent. If the downward curve in gross domestic product matched the downward curve in population, per capita GDP would be unchanged. By this simplest measure, the only way there would be a problem is if GDP fell more than population, or fell completely out of sync with the population, creating negative and positive bubbles. That would be destabilizing.

But there is no reason to think that GDP would fall along with population. The capital base of society, its productive plant as broadly understood, will not dissolve as population declines. Moreover, assume that population fell but GDP fell less — or even grew. Per capita GDP would rise and, by that measure, the population would be more prosperous than before.

One of the key variables mitigating the problem of decreasing population would be continuing advances in technology to increase productivity. We can call this automation or robotics, but growths in individual working productivity have been occurring in all productive environments from the beginning of industrialization, and the rate of growth has been intensifying. Given the smooth and predictable decline in population, there is no reason to believe, at the very least, that GDP would not fall less than population. In other words, with a declining population in advanced industrial societies, even leaving immigration out as a factor, per capita GDP would be expected to grow.
    - https://www.stratfor.com/weekly/popu...nomic-reversal

Eastern Europe has had a declining population since early 90's yet for example, Polands and Baltic economies are among the most dynamic in the whole of EU.
    They are getting richer.
    Last edited by mmoc70129fcef2; 2017-07-08 at 04:12 PM.

Deleted
    good plan. EU thought the same but later realized that almost all of them won't work or if they do, they will demand absurd benefits due to their religion