Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    If one can become tolerant to both the effects of taking something and of stopping taking it ... it sort of isn't addictive then is it.
    Different people react to different substances in different ways, Schwarzkopf.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    I actually love coffee. Its smell. Its taste. With milk and some sugar. I drink two cups every day.

And will never stop doing so. It is my start into days full of work.
    I drink six cups everyday kind of.

I use a moka pot and use six cups worth of beans to make espresso.

Coffee helps me focus a bit better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I'm speaking as someone with a moderate caffeine dependence. I go without caffeine for a day and I'll get all the symptoms people typically report. Headache, increased irritability, etc. Those symptoms will last until I get me some caffeine. I'm not saying that I'm bedridden or anything like that...but it has a noticeable affect on me...as my family will be glad to attest to.
    Well I drink like 3-5 cups a day, it's pretty strong stuff do, no cream or sugar and yes I get that too, then I sleep it off and the next day Im fine, I can easily go as long as I like without even thinking about it after it just makes me more alert, focused and gives me more energy. You're saying it will last as long as you get coffee again? How long have you tried being without then? 1 day.. 2 days.. longer?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    What makes a substance addictive is when the body establishes a memory, and a new 'ground state' based on that intake.

What makes an effect addictive, is when we derive some positive result - and we want it again.
    I'm not confusing it.

The effects caffeine promotes in your body are inside of the spectrum we call "chemical addictive substance". You're saying it's not. You can keep saying it's not or show me why it's not.

I've already explained before why there's a controversy about caffeine being "addictive" where I showed my point about the biochemical and behavioural side, although you conveniently ignored that, feel free to read that post. Because your explanation is exacly what I talked about there.

I'd say it's more a ritual.
    Throwing the word "addict" into the mix when to be honest, it's bad on both sides of the argument. The word has been semantically shifted so it means obsessively doing it and on the other of originate definition, causes withdrawal symptoms and mental-related behaviours.

The simple fact is, they do it as a routine and quite possibly something they do by muscle memory. It's like when driving, you turn the wheel to follow the road.

As for the topic.
    It may be weird but sometimes, mental stress can feel much harsher on the body than physical. It might not necessarily be true, but our grey matter is an odd pickle. When you have things like placebo's, any kind of situation for individuals can arise.
    Last edited by Evangeliste; 2017-07-08 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgasm View Post
    I'm not confusing it.
    Excellent ... glad to see you've worked it out.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by daenerys View Post
    Some people like coffee some people don't, how is that weird?
    The point is, many people here are control freaks and see EVIL in everything they don't like or understand. And then they get crazy because their children might be affected by this, so they want to disallow it.

Or at least portray those people as sad addictive weirdos, so they have something to look down to. Like those Anti-Vaxxers.
    Last edited by mmoc1848483d5d; 2017-07-08 at 06:07 PM.

There is a dependency that can come from drinking coffee in the long-term, and of course that one person doesn't need the extra energy doesn't mean no one does. A lot of people likely drink it as part of their routine as well, and won't think much more of it.

I happen to like the taste so, that's a bonus for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Well I drink like 3-5 cups a day, it's pretty strong stuff do, no cream or sugar and yes I get that too, then I sleep it off and the next day Im fine, I can easily go as long as I like without even thinking about it after it just makes me more alert, focused and gives me more energy. You're saying it will last as long as you get coffee again? How long have you tried being without then? 1 day.. 2 days.. longer?
    Never really kept track...it isn't something that really concerns me. Probably 2 days max. Like i say...it's not the end of the world if I don't get my caffeine fix every day...I just notice the lack of it.

I'm also aware that the "addiction" itself is psychological....not physiological.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Never really kept track...it isn't something that really concerns me. Probably 2 days max. Like i say...it's not the end of the world if I don't get my caffeine fix every day...I just notice the lack of it.

I'm also aware that the "addiction" itself is psychological....not physiological.
    There's a physical component to addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    There's a physical component to addiction.
    Which is why I put "addiction" in quotes.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

15+ Year Old Account
    You seem weird here.
    How is liking caffein is age related? why should it somehow stop in your 20s? Kind of random way of thinking.

As for your question... when you're asking 'am I the only one...?' on the internet the answer is always no.
    Last edited by Dangg; 2017-07-08 at 06:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Pankaces with something meaty or fruity?
    Meaty of course. Sausages and bacon.

Neckbeards will always find a way to look down on their peers, especially through some naive lens of maturity. You classless plebeians may drink your childish swill known as coffee; I on the other hand shall partake in the gentlesir's nectar, original green Monster. Now begone, swine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You are a carbon copy of what you long so hard to fight in the streets. An extremist. Someone so desperate for strife to prove you are the ubermensch, err, Real American.

Alt lite. Sounds like you're having an alt fright. Unable to sleep at alt night. Maybe you should relax and fly an alt kite. Go down to the diner for an alt bite. You shouldn't be treating people with alt spite. Eventually, everything will be alt right.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tss View Post
    Neckbeards will always find a way to look down on their peers, especially through some naive lens of maturity. You classless plebeians may drink your childish swill known as coffee; I on the other hand shall partake in the gentlesir's nectar, original green Monster. Now begone, swine!
    You aren't wrong - thinking perfectly normal mainstream activities are weird is a sign to spot someone who is actually weird to the majority of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine_dependence

//Caffeine addiction, or a pathological and compulsive form of use, has not been documented in humans.//

Stop making stuff up, m'kay.
    One thing I am not making up.. that junk in your pants.. tiny as fuck.

m'kay

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triforcewolf View Post
    Drinking coffee in the morning when you're still in your 20s?

I have a couple friends who always talk about drinking coffee in the morning and I just can't help but think how weird that is. They're about my age 24-26. Shouldn't someone that age be able to function in the morning without coffee? I don't know, I'm 26 and I'm able to go to bed at 2, wake up at 9 for work, skip breakfast, and go about my day with enough energy to last throughout the day. Just seems like they are becoming dependent on coffee rather than just drinking it because they enjoy it. Which is what I imagine most coffee drinkers are like.

I don't care that they do I'm just wondering if I was the only one who thought this way. Just seems weird to me. Whenever they talk about it it feels like I'm friends with a couple of 50 year olds.
    It's weirder to me that you think something that common is weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    Drinking coffee in the morning, afternoon and evening. It's just another drink to me.
    But now the biggest part,
    is all about the image
    and not the art

Currently enjoying a cup now...

Deleted
    Whats the difference between drinking a coffee or a tea in the morning?