Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ryzen Cpu suggestion?

-Info that may be of importance
    Have an itx ryzen board
    Have a cpu cooler with am4 bracket ready
    Workload usually consist of 1 or 2 VM with WoW and some other games running in the background
    Software dev/3d modeling & simulations

So my options are...
    R5 1600 for $215 after tax
    R5 1600x for $229 tax covered
    R7 1700 for $280 or $301 after tax (Microcenter prices)
    R7 1700x for $329 tax covered (323 Microcenter)

Thinking of crossing off the 1600 cause price difference is marginal.
    Main question is will the 2 extra cores worth $100 price difference

Deleted
    Well simulations scale very well with cores, so if that is a major thing you do, I'd go with 8 cores.
    Same is true for VMs if they use a lot of CPU power.
    Otherwise 6 cores should perform well enough plus the 1600x has the highest single core boost.

If your board supports overclocking (and you intend to do so) you can likely get the non-X variants up to the performance of the X models, so you won't get that much out of the money spend on the Xs. Otherwise you get ~13% better performance for less than 10% more money.

Go with the 1700X. The extra cores will be good long term, and the X series don't come with stock fans so you're at an advantage in pricing since you already have a fan.

R5 1600 if you OC (this is preferable because WoW mostly benefits from higher clocks rather than core count), R7 1700 if you dont. Two things to worry about: all ITX AM4 boards have very weak VRMs and wont be able to handle OCd R7s. Also, VM usage is still very problematic on Ryzen, so be ready for a lot of issues.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Sell the mobo and wait for coffee lake. Ryzen is garbage unless you do something other than gaming that benefits from more cores. And then it only makes sense if you absolutely can't afford intel or can't wait for coffee lake.
    Really hoping that the new 6 core will work on the Z270 boards with a firmware update.

Needed a system now, been really patient but things are starting to pick up so kinda forced to get something with more power now. Currently sitting on a laptop right now and its simply not cutting it anymore.

In the future I may swap out for an intel build if it seems promising and pass this build on to a family member. I know one of them is still using my old 2500k from ages ago.
    Ended up getting the 1600x. Got it for about 200 with a friendly discoount and tax paid too.

I will be doing minimal overclocking. Basically whatever I can get between 1.25v and 1.3v

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Sell the mobo and wait for coffee lake. Ryzen is garbage unless you do something other than gaming that benefits from more cores. And then it only makes sense if you absolutely can't afford intel or can't wait for coffee lake.
    Unless you are trying to game at 1080p with a 144+ Hz monitor, there is virtually no real world performance difference between the current i7s and Ryzens. At 1440p and 4k, the benchmark variance between Ryzen and i7 is marginal, as games are typically GPU bottlenecked. At 1080p, sure, Intel performance comes out significantly higher, but you are typically in the 100+ FPS range at 1080p anyway, so again - that's totally irrelevant until you're running a high refresh rate monitor. The OP is running VMs along side games, and those heavily benefit from additional CPU cores. A quad core processor is likely to be a big bottleneck if you're trying to run 2 VMs at the same time as AAA games. Also, to go to Coffee Lake, you're talking about probably approaching +$1000 on the build. If you just want a gaming machine that can run multicore heavy apps at the same time, the X299 platform is probably overkill, and the gaming performance differential between R7 and Coffee Lake is likely to be imperceptible - especially above a 1080p resolution.

As far as what Ryzen to get, since you already have a usable cooler, I would get one of the X models, since the non X models have a cooler baked into their price. The 1600 and 1600x are basically the same CPU, and the 1700, 1700x and 1800x are also basically the same CPU, they are just binned for the higher models. For the OP's use case, I would favor 8 core over 6 core and go with the 1700x. $28 more for a better binned chip and higher guaranteed stock speeds is worth it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jeyded View Post
    Got it for about 200 with a friendly discoount and tax paid too.
    I'd like to hear more about the friendly discount. Was it from Micro Center? How? Who?

Used to work at Frys and still friends with the everyone in the component departments + frys is offering to pay for tax for somethings right now.

I would also suggest intel, there is no chance games are ever going to take advantage of more than 4 mores, dual cores really are all you need for gaming.

Said the guy from 2009 lol.

Clearly you have done your research and know ryzen is the much smarter purchase so good on you there, my suggestion is the 1700 for various reasons.

You dont have to deal with the ~20c temp offset that shows up in monitoring programs
    You can sell the stock cooler for decent money, its RGB and people with other ryzen chips want it
    It overclocks just as well as the x chips for the most part, there is no real evidence that x chips will clock higher

Only reason to get an x chip is if you arent willing to overclock.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Really hoping that the new 6 core will work on the Z270 boards with a firmware update.
    I can guarantee that this will not happen since it's on an entirely new socket.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I would also suggest intel, there is no chance games are ever going to take advantage of more than 4 mores, dual cores really are all you need for gaming.

Said the guy from 2009 lol.

Clearly you have done your research and know ryzen is the much smarter purchase so good on you there, my suggestion is the 1700 for various reasons.

You dont have to deal with the ~20c temp offset that shows up in monitoring programs
    You can sell the stock cooler for decent money, its RGB and people with other ryzen chips want it
    It overclocks just as well as the x chips for the most part, there is no real evidence that x chips will clock higher

Only reason to get an x chip is if you arent willing to overclock.
    I think the 20C offset was removed with the newer bios patches.

Don't think so, there are still people in ryzen owners club complaining about it.

Even if true, stock RGB cooler is reason enough to get 1700:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...e+rgb&_sacat=0

The 20C offset absolutely is still a thing currently on the 1700X. It's really a complete non issue though; you know to just subtract 20 from the reading in monitoring apps, and if you want to verify, the Ryzen Master program will show the correct temperature with the offset removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    I can guarantee that this will not happen since it's on an entirely new socket.
    Everything I've read has said they are staying with 1151.

I remember when Kaby came out they didn't work with z170 but later with bios updated they did .
    Last edited by Moozart; 2017-07-08 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Everything I've read has said they are staying with 1151.

I remember when Kaby came out they didn't work with z170 but later with bios updated they did .
    These parts will arrive with a new LGA 1151 V2 socket making the new Coffee Lake CPUs not compatible with current LGA 1151 motherboards, which will not have current LGA 1151 owners happy at all.

taken from http://www.tweaktown.com/news/57865/...018/index.html

Another reason not to buy intel at this point in time, they force people to buy new boards when they absolutely could have made it compatible with current 1151 stuff.

7+ Year Old Account
    Another reason not to buy intel at this point in time, they force people to buy new boards when they absolutely could have made it compatible with current 1151 stuff.
    Fixed that you you
    Another reason not to buy AMD at this point in time, they force people to buy new boards when they absolutely could have made it compatible with current socket AM3+ stuff.
    You are going to need a new motherboard whichever route you choose to go for your upgrade. If you decide to go for a Ryzen, you will need a new AM4 socket board and DDR4 memory, or if you decide to wait for Coffee Lake you will probably need a socket 1151 v.2 board, unless manufacturers can come up with a bios update for existing 1151 boards.

Unless you absolutely must upgrade right now, it is best to wait another 4 or 5 months for Coffee Lake to be launched, and then check out the price. Performance wise we know that Coffee Lake will be about 30% faster than current generation Ryzen / Kaby Lake.

Well that's not really fair to say either. AMD needed a new platform it was still on DDR3 and i dont even think PCI-E 3.0 was officially supported.

Intel on the other hand is pure greed. Also we dont know anything about coffee lake, ive actually seen rumors that it could be slower than kaby lake (due to intels refocusing on mobile/phone based chips).

It wouldn't surprise me actually, who needs a faster cpu than a 7700k? More cores maybe, but i doubt we will see clockspeeds that high outta coffee lake.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well that's not really fair to say either. AMD needed a new platform it was still on DDR3 and i dont even think PCI-E 3.0 was officially supported.

Intel on the other hand is pure greed. Also we dont know anything about coffee lake, ive actually seen rumors that it could be slower than kaby lake (due to intels refocusing on mobile/phone based chips).

It wouldn't surprise me actually, who needs a faster cpu than a 7700k? More cores maybe, but i doubt we will see clockspeeds that high outta coffee lake.
    Fair or not it's still true to say both platforms require a new motherboard. You were clearly trying to insinuate that Ryzen didn't. It was Intel themselves that confirmed the 30% performance increase in their Computex '17 keynote speech.