Poll: A Heroic Leveling Difficulty for 1-109 ?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    Yes, it has.

It's not a binary divide, that something either takes skill, or it takes no skill.

Levelling was significantly harder back in the day. Mobs took longer to kill, you had to pull more carefully, you could get overwhelmed. Nowadays you run into a pack of 16 mobs and AoE them all down, even though you have the same amount of skill.

If Blizzard tripled the health and damage of all open world mobs, it would take a lot more skill, but it still wouldn't be Mythic raiding or anything. Do you understand that there's a gradient here?
    Oh bullshit. It doesn't take any more skill to pull one mob open world than it does two.
    Leveling has NEVER been hard. It's been time consuming, but never hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, why not? I might not get much mileage out of it, but then again, I might dig making an alt to take it easy and sleazy on now and then.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    Oh bullshit. It doesn't take any more skill to pull one mob open world than it does two.
    Leveling has NEVER been hard. It's been time consuming, but never hard.
    In actuality, in Classic (at least, this is my own experience), you had to plan your kill path and your pulls with the appropriate angles, etc. Furthermore, three or more mobs would result in one of two outcomes: a) death or b) cooldowns/luck.

When they introduce level scalling to old world, they will have perfect opportunity to tune levelling little harder. It shouldn't cause frustration, but it should looks more like current expansion levelling.

My idea: Heirlooms should be items that gives huge XP boost, level with us, but are weaker that typical item you would wear at this level. This would work perfectly in scalled world, when you can't just do zones/dungeon that are 2-3 levels behind you. So you would have choice - harder, but quicker or slower, more relaxed experience.

Deleted
    I agree. I think we need a difficult leveling to enforce the multiplayer aspect of the game. When things are hard, you will naturally try to group with other people to do them.
    And level scaling is a non-sense in a RPG. It just destroys the sense of progression. But hey, there is already no sense of progression in the leveling because you already OS mobs at lvl 1

Quote Originally Posted by Daille View Post
    The majority of players wants to XP the fastest from 1 to level max. It's cool.

But a minority of us, wants to :
    - take time while leveling
    - feel the nostalgy of the old zones, instead to have to change zones every 2 hours because XP is too fast

It's the problem : xp is too fast, even without heirlooms.

The solution : An harder mode of difficulty for XP, like raids and dungeons have.

Exemple : When activate the Heroic Leveling Difficulty, a quest that used to give me 14k XP will give me 8,5k. And the damage of all mobs under max level (1-109) will hit +50% harder and they will have +50% more life (as affixs do).

Note: the heirlooms wouldn't works in this Heroic Leveling Difficulty.

What do you think about that ?
    I already came up with this idea. Its in my sig.

An MMO should have three parts:

1. PvE
    2. PvP
    3. leveling

Each with its own progression path.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...eveling-System

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    How do you make leveling worthwhile and engaging? Here's my idea

Q: What is the leveling mode button?

1. You create a new character and it is max level by default.
    2. In your options screen you have a button called "leveling mode". Press the button and get set to level 1 and dropped in the starting zone.
    3. Press the button again to return to max level and put back in the capital city.
    4. You can do this as many times as you want.

Q: How does leveling work?

1. You enter leveling mode and go from level 1-7 in one session.
    2. Your progress is "saved" as you go.
    3. Press the button to exit leveling mode and you return to max level and put back in the capital city.
    4. If you go back to leveling mode, you go back to level 7 and return to the exact spot you left.

That way, you can play the leveling game on one toon and yet they can be max level as well.

Q: Whats the goal?

1. I'd remove/reduce most of the gold sources from the game except for leveling mode. Gold is now primary acquired through leveling. This harkens back to BC, where in BC a great way to make gold was to just level another alt. As an example, leveling through Outland was lucrative and could provide 3000 gold which was a lot back then.
    2. Once you reach max level, you get to choose one of a number of different bonuses or rewards for your account. I would divide them into 2 categories: cosmetic and fun rewards, and spells/abilities that can only be used in leveling mode.

Q: What happens after I hit max level?

1. You can reset your level mode character back to level 1.
    2. Your character has a counter for the number of times you have completed leveling mode and this increments by one.
    3. Some stats, personal bests, and realm bests, are recorded and kept.

Q: Why would I play leveling mode?

1. Leveling is a core part of an RPG. Why are you playing one if you don't like to level? You are getting rewards FOR ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME.
    2. It is now the primary source of money.
    3. There are cosmetic and fun rewards.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

I'd rather Blizzard just re-tune the old zones so that it behaved like this, yet keep Heirloom functionality in-tact for those who want a faster experience (along with all the other XP boosting mechanics/items)

Also, lower the cost of character boosts for those who want to skip the majority of level as a way to compensate.
    Last edited by Baelic; 2017-07-09 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiferod View Post
    And level scaling is a non-sense in a RPG. It just destroys the sense of progression. But hey, there is already no sense of progression in the leveling because you already OS mobs at lvl 1
    How this destroy sense of progression? Instead of 1-10, 10-20, 20-30, etc. you would have just 1-110 (I don't think if should go further, 110-120 should belong to new zones alone). You could experience whole zone and all side and dungeon quests. Now you kinda waste time after quests in zones are yellow. It wouldn't scale to your stats, only to your level, you still would have to progress your gear to go further.

Would be a fun experience again. I defiantly still do remember how levelling was back in vanilla or even TBC...but again, we are so much better players in every way now.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

I vote YES for Pristine/Hardcore realms. :-)
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

am i the only one who thinks leveling is a means to an end ? ..
    i sort of wish wow-leveling was like it is on diablo 3 atm

Deleted
    They can adjust the xp rate it would be easier to make. Mechanic of the game has changed with time and for exemple mana is not the same for casters as it used to be.

7+ Year Old Account
    It hasn't ever taken skill to level up. Ever.
    At best leveling was a time sink in Classic, and has been sped up since then.
    I disagree. I levelled a warrior to around level 30 or so on a Vanilla server recently. You had to use your brain and use some skill to not pull extra mobs you couldn't handle etc etc.

I'd be a fan, It's not like they'd force you to utilize it if you didnt want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valrysha View Post
    I disagree. I levelled a warrior to around level 30 or so on a Vanilla server recently. You had to use your brain and use some skill to not pull extra mobs you couldn't handle etc etc.
    So slightly less braindead than leveling now != skill.
    Leveling has never taken skill.

Sounds pointless and unintuitive. From the point of view from a newbie they could accidentally activate this and end up fucking themselves out of exp and making leveling more tedious and lengthy than it should be. If you make something harder you should be rewarded. Only a tiny handful of people would subject themselves to this unless they were rewarded with some account wide title/pet/toy or whatever.

Making mobs hit harder/more HP won't make the game harder unless you're forced to use your whole kit instead of just DPS cooldowns. Except difficulty will vary wildly between the classes. Warlock/mage/hunter would have an infinitely easier time than say a warrior because their kit allows them to nuke and CC from far range. Say a monk for example if you just beefed up mobs HP/DMG most pulls would end up like this:

FSK in, pop CDs and go ham, box each other til you get low HP, karma, box again, get low HP, paralyze (60sec CC), port, spam heal, get to 100% HP after 20secs of casting. Repeat. You could even say heroic mode reduces CCs to PvP values and even then the only difference would be having to kite a lot more which wouldn't be hard at all for classes with tons of kiting tools in their kit.

It makes no sense to just beef up everything just to make leveling longer when you can just take in the zone at your own pace anyway. If you want to finish every single quest in a zone even if its not optimal you can still do that anyway without some limiting system. The only thing I'd like to see Blizzard do with leveling is add more solo bosses like the mage tower bosses that actually incentivize you to learn how to play your spec. Of course they'd never do it because that would take a tremendous amount of effort and would probably cost 2 zones and a raid tier of development time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    How this destroy sense of progression? Instead of 1-10, 10-20, 20-30, etc. you would have just 1-110 (I don't think if should go further, 110-120 should belong to new zones alone). You could experience whole zone and all side and dungeon quests. Now you kinda waste time after quests in zones are yellow. It wouldn't scale to your stats, only to your level, you still would have to progress your gear to go further.
    The sense of progression means you're walking into silverpine forest, you see a big worgen. "Wow this is an elite mob and I can't see his level ! He has to be so strong !" He aggro you and 3 shots you. You come back 10 levels after with 2 friends and you kill him. That's the sense of progression.

7+ Year Old Account
    So slightly less braindead than leveling now != skill.
    Leveling has never taken skill.
    It didn't take much skill, no. But if you didn't think about what you were doing. And engage your brain, as you should in a game. You weren't gonna' get much past level 6 or 7.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valrysha View Post
    It didn't take much skill, no. But if you didn't think about what you were doing. And engage your brain, as you should in a game. You weren't gonna' get much past level 6 or 7.
    I was there. I don't know who you're trying to fool, but leveling was a joke, it just took a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard is unlikely to do anything like this:

1. The only leveling Blizzard is interested in is leveling associated with an expansion.

2. Taking longer is not making it more difficult. Blizzard doesn't want it to take longer. They want you at end game playing whatever the current content is.

I mean, it's a fine idea as far as it goes being optional and everything. And I might even use it from time to time. But it's not the way the game is going and if it's anything at all to make it work that way they are very unlikely to do it. They have demonstrated time and time again that the only thing they have any interest in is making 1-whatever the fastest path possible. I think it's bad for their game but it's foolish to imagine they'll do a 180 on this.

As for those who have wandered into the thread to state that the game isn't a single-player game, leveling through world questing certainly is a single-player part of the game and it's stupid to think or say otherwise.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."