Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Spoilers] Illidan and Bolvar

Prophet Velen: Illidan serves as the Dark Titan's jailer. His sacrifice has ended the Legion. At long last, the Burning Crusade... is over.

Hahaha, I really could not believe these lines. So unoriginal. Welp, at least we won't be fighting Sargeras in this expansion, maybe 3 expansions from now when he breaks free.

7+ Year Old Account
    You really didn't explain what makes Bolvar = Illidan. I can see the similarities but Illidan didn't become the Lord of the Burning Legion? He merely became its jailer. And honestly i'd rather fight Sargeras three expansions from now then at the end of Legion.

"Only Beasts are above deceit" - Rexxar

Hasn't Illidan been planning to end the Legion for a long time? Now he's finally becoming the jailer of that which he's pursued for a long long time.... sounds a lot like(or maybe the reverse version) of him and Maiv.

Maybe she'll suddenly 'understand him' or 'see him in a new light' and they'll make baby IllMaiv's - or Maivill's!

Quote Originally Posted by Banorak View Post
    You really didn't explain what makes Bolvar = Illidan. I can see the similarities but Illidan didn't become the Lord of the Burning Legion? He merely became its jailer. And honestly i'd rather fight Sargeras three expansions from now then at the end of Legion.
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I really fail to see this connection these forums are putting between the lk ending and this one. The circumstances could not be anymore different, the only thing they have in common is that somebody sacrificed himself for the sake of the world, and that concept in of itself is as old as anything out there.

idk, seems really forced
    Bolvar took the Frozen Throne to keep the Scourge in check, Illidan became a sacrifice(whatever that is) to be Sargeras' jailer to keep the Legion in check. How are the circumstances different. The only difference is that Bolvar actually has some power because he's the new Lich King but Illidan?

Quote Originally Posted by Tauton View Post
    Hasn't Illidan been planning to end the Legion for a long time? Now he's finally becoming the jailer of that which he's pursued for a long long time.... sounds a lot like(or maybe the reverse version) of him and Maiv.
    Haha yeah, and this is the moronic irony of it, Illidan who was caged for 10,000 years is now suddenly the jailor for another 'betrayer'.

Other than the word "Jailer" the situation really isn't equivalent. If Illidan took over as leader of the Burning Legion to keep them in check, than it would be equivalent.

Bolvar made a sacrifice for the greater good at the time. Illidan's sacrifice isn't much of one. Sure, he'll be stuck as a warden, but it accomplishes the goal he always wanted. This should be the place he wants to be at, more than anything, except possibly Tyrande's side. He should be far more gleeful about this duty than even Maiev was about hers.

This is like me being trapped in a gaming restaurant filled with attractive women, forever. I don't see that the same as being stuck on a frozen throne, while burning, and mentally holding back countless undead with my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    This is like me being trapped in a gaming restaurant filled with attractive women, forever. I don't see that the same as being stuck on a frozen throne, while burning, and mentally holding back countless undead with my mind.
    LMAO I'm literally dead

Quote Originally Posted by ME
    Sargeras lies supine, the shattered remnants of Gorshalach beside him. He starts as the ghost of Aman'Thul materializes over him, and the characteristic blue glow dissipates from his eyes. As Aman'Thul kneels next to him, Sargeras places a hand on his brother's chest.
    Sargeras: Brother! Is it... over?
    Aman'Thul lays a comforting hand on Sargeras's gauntlet.
    Aman'Thul: At long last. No Titan rules forever, brother.
    Sargeras: I see... only void... before... me...
    Sargeras's eyes roll back into his head and he dies, his hand falling to the ground. Aman'Thul closes his brother's eyes and gently lays him on the ground as Khadgar walks in.
    Aman'Thul: Without its master's command, the restless Burning Legion will become an even greater threat to this world.
    Aman'Thul stands, facing Khadgar.
    Aman'Thul: Control must be maintained. There must always be a Burning Legion commander.
    Aman'Thul disappears.

Khadgar: The weight, of such a burden, it must be mine, for there is no other.
    Illidan: Khadgar! You hold a grim destiny in your hands mage, but it is not your own!
    The scorched visage of Illidan is revealed, sitting atop the Pantheon's Throne.
    Khadgar: Illidan! By all that is holy...
    Illidan: The Nether's flame sealed my fate, the world of the living, can no longer comfort me. Place the crown upon my head Khadgar, forever more, I will be the jailer of the damned.
    Khadgar: No new friend, I cannot...
    Illidan: Do it Khadgar! You and these brave heroes have your own destinies to fulfil, this last act of service is mine.
    Khadgar: You will not be forgotten demon hunter...
    Illidan: I must be forgotten Khadgar, if the world is to live free from the Tyranny of fear, they must never know what was done here today.
    Khadgar nods and accedes to Illidan's request, putting the crown onto his head. The chamber begins to shake violently. There is a flash of light and Illidan's eyes are glowing golden yellow.
    Illidan: Tell them only that Sargeras is dead
    Illidan's voice changes, acquiring the Sargeras's characteristic deep echo.
    Illidan: and that Illidan, died with him!
    Illidan: Now go! Leave this place and never return.
    Wotlk ending v2

Deleted
    Not even close. Bolvar became the "Jailer" of the Scourge to stop a massive undead force of rampaging through Azeroth and he is actively leading the Scourge now.

Illidan's sacrifice seems to be closer to Maiev's role, where he stays on the Pantheon to keep an eye on Sargeras. He doesn't become the new leader of the Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaljurei View Post
    Bolvar took the Frozen Throne to keep the Scourge in check, Illidan became a sacrifice(whatever that is) to be Sargeras' jailer to keep the Legion in check.
    The Legion is gone with Sargeras' unifying strenght. Demons are an unruly bunch.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Change your thread title btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Where is the blog where you came up with an awesome story proving you are allowed to be so judgemental? Not even WoW..you know..just a good story about...anything? Other than awkwardly drawn hentai shit on deviantart that you think would make a kickass TV series?
    Anyone can render judgment or have an opinion about anything - there is no minimum basis or requirement for saying that you feel something is unoriginal, hackneyed, or not worthwhile. The better question to ask is whether or not you agree with said opinion and whether it has any weight to effect what you yourself feel or think about a given thing. If the answer is "no," then said opinion can be safely dismissed without rancor.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

@det

nice signature

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It would have been much better if, say, Velen stayed behind to ensure he remains imprisoned because there's little to believe that Velen could be turned and we'd have a satisfying and bitter sweet ending which is effectively over.

Instead, they turned the Illidan dial to messiah and we get what could easily be one of the worst character arcs in Warcraft.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems to me like the one who's short in imagination are the people who can't differentiate, but ok, it's not like you haven't made up your mind already about how ''bad Blizzard is''.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    It would have been much better if, say, Velen stayed behind to ensure he remains imprisoned because there's little to believe that Velen could be turned and we'd have a satisfying and bitter sweet ending which is effectively over.

Instead, they turned the Illidan dial to messiah and we get what could easily be one of the worst character arcs in Warcraft.
    And Illidan will come back. Like Kerrigan, he's with the most powerful being of the universe, and they will offer him ( or he will seize ) their power, and will become Holyllidan. Like Kerrigan.

Other than the word used to describe them, there's not much similarity in their situation. Bolvar obvious has a great deal more freedom, and Illidan will have no power over Sargeras in his imprisonment.

Illidan's whole purpose was to see the Burning Crusade ended. Velen still has people to lead.

Deleted
    Unlike Bolvar this finale seems more fitting for Illidan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Illidan's whole purpose was to see the Burning Crusade ended. Velen still has people to lead.
    It was his purpose, yes, but that's not to say his purpose felt like the right choice as far as I am concerned. Given the experiences shared between Velen and The Burning Legion I feel like there could have been genuine emotion if it was him who stayed behind. Here we have someone who saw the downfall of Argus, watched Archimonde and Kil'jaeden succumb to corruption, is the defacto leader of the exiled eredar, was chased for millenia and became the last brother compared to character development which felt like fan service run a muck.

As for Bolvar, I's argue that his freedom as a human is nearly gone and is one removed heart about from being Lich King proper since he still wears the Helm of Domination. Dude's not well.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-07-09 at 06:33 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiro Tagachi View Post
    Unlike Bolvar this finale seems more fitting for Illidan.
    Yes, Bolvar always felt kind of shoehorned into the role for me. Not to say he was a nobody or anything, but he definitely lacked the gravitas that most major lore figures had, especially for Horde players. And now it feels more and more like he's really just a vessel for the Lich King, having essentially lost his own identity.

This feels like a fitting end for Illidan, though I think it's a shame if he's to sit out future conflicts. He's one of the few surviving lore characters who has history with Azshara and the naga, so it would be nice to see him feature in such an expansion. And even though he's a demon hunter, it's a bit odd for his mission to end with the Legion since his chief concern is the safety of Azeroth, not purely getting revenge on the demons. The void should be a big deal to him too.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2017-07-09 at 07:41 PM.

It was his purpose, yes, but that's not to say his purpose felt like the right choice as far as I am concerned. Given the experiences shared between Velen and The Burning Legion I feel like there could have been genuine emotion if it was him who stayed behind. Here we have someone who saw the downfall of Argus, watched Archimonde and Kil'jaeden succumb to corruption, is the defacto leader of the exiled eredar, was chased for millenia and became the last brother compared to character development which felt like fan service run a muck.

As for Bolvar, I's argue that his freedom as a human is nearly gone and is one removed heart about from being Lich King proper since he still wears the Helm of Domination. Dude's not well.
    While I agree that Velen has more history with the Burning Legi I would on than Illidan, and the sacrifice may have evoked more emotion, Velen is arguably more valuable as both a leader of the draenei and a powerful priest than Illidan would be in the coming conflict with the Void. I would rather see the role he has to play in it than lose him for purely sentimental reasons, although that's just my opinion. Ending Illidan's story with the Legion feels better, assuming it actually ends here.

Bolvar certainly has some issues, and while it's unclear whether he's losing himself to the Lich King or simply reconsidering how the Scourge could be utilized, the end result is him being less a jailer and more a leader.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I agree that Velen has more history with the Burning Legi I would on than Illidan, and the sacrifice may have evoked more emotion, Velen is arguably more valuable as both a leader of the draenei and a powerful priest than Illidan would be in the coming conflict with the Void. I would rather see the role he has to play in it than lose him for purely sentimental reasons, although that's just my opinion. Ending Illidan's story with the Legion feels better, assuming it actually ends here.
    I understand where you're coming so good points!

Bolvar certainly has some issues, and while it's unclear whether he's losing himself to the Lich King or simply reconsidering how the Scourge could be utilized, the end result is him being less a jailer and more a leader.
    I don't think you can really have one without the other. What remains of Bolvar is questionable especially after you do the Death Knight mount chain where he's now actively taking measures to ensure the Death Knights of Acherus will not be without his direct presence at all times within Acherus. Even turning Darion in to a Horseman means he won't be able to rattle any cages like he did at Light's Hope and beyond.

It's gonna be a mess.