Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dread Pirate Ring, for the FIFTY first place winners

For those who need to fill out their last heirloom slot, apparently the updated fishing extravaganza now allows 50 first place winners per server. And I think it's a weekly event?

I also read on wowhead.com that you should turn in any rare fish BEFORE getting your prize, or you end the world quest.

If this is the case...then lol. A big nerf for sure, but this also means a fair game on lvling speed i guess.

Anyway I wan't first price..it gave that +5 fishing skil lure right? :P need for artifact fish pole.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    If this is the case...then lol. A big nerf for sure, but this also means a fair game on lvling speed i guess.

Anyway I wan't first price..it gave that +5 fishing skil lure right? :P need for artifact fish pole.
    From what I understand (and note: I'm getting this from the wowhead comments; I lucked into a low-attendance event and came in first a year or two ago), even if you're not one of the first 50 per server (or region? does that mean "US" vs "EU", etc.?), as long as you turn in the special fish (rare ones), you can get other prizes.

Wowhead story on it.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticGamer View Post
    For those who need to fill out their last heirloom slot, apparently the updated fishing extravaganza now allows 50 first place winners per server. And I think it's a weekly event?

I also read on wowhead.com that you should turn in any rare fish BEFORE getting your prize, or you end the world quest.
    First 50 per region, not per server it says on the article.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

I suppose it will be much easier for people on high pop servers.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sermistalot View Post
    Probably not. While there are more first winners possibilities you also have much more competition on high pop realms, making it harder to find pools. I won my first prize last year at my very first try (took a while because I have free saturday afternoons 2 times a year, and every time I forget about it) and there are still a lot of people doing the event. On SilvermoonEU people were moving around in packs of 20 to find a pool.
    Your best chance of winning is to level/boost an alt on a mid-low pop realm (not extremely low because that's what the other fishermen are doing)

Quote Originally Posted by Sermistalot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by S7orm View Post
    Probably not. While there are more first winners possibilities you also have much more competition on high pop realms, making it harder to find pools. I won my first prize last year at my very first try (took a while because I have free saturday afternoons 2 times a year, and every time I forget about it) and there are still a lot of people doing the event. On SilvermoonEU people were moving around in packs of 20 to find a pool.
    Your best chance of winning is to level/boost an alt on a mid-low pop realm (not extremely low because that's what the other fishermen are doing)
    It's region wide now, not server wide. However many competitors there are on your individual realm won't make too much difference anymore
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Farath View Post
    It's region wide now, not server wide. However many competitors there are on your individual realm won't make too much difference anymore
    If it's the first 50 players per region that can win the fishing contest, wouldn't that give low population PvE servers an edge? There'd be less competition to fight against, making it easier for you to get the 40 tastyfish quickly.

EDIT: Isn't there one server in US realms that doesn't CRZ with any other server because its time zone is too far apart from all the other available servers?
    Last edited by Etamalgren; 2017-07-17 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Etamalgren View Post
    If it's the first 50 players per region that can win the fishing contest, wouldn't that give low population PvE servers an edge? There'd be less competition to fight against, making it easier for you to get the 40 tastyfish quickly.

EDIT: Isn't there one server in US realms that doesn't CRZ with any other server because its time zone is too far apart from all the other available servers?
    Personally I did mine on Moon Guard because I'm on Oceanic servers which don't get the stupid world quest. We have to phase ourselves to an actual NA realm to do it. I had no real trouble on Moon Guard with competition even though I believe it's one of the higher pop realms.

On your second point, there use to be a US realm that wasn't affected by CRZ not sure if it's still that way or not though. Again though, if that realm isn't an actual NA realm, it may not get the WQ to spawn just like on Oceanic realms.

It's been forever since I've done this, but from what I remember, the pools spawn almost instantly. You used to go down the coast, fighting for the casts, but lately, I think they respawn them like they do with mobs on high pop areas. I could be wrong, as I've said it's been years, but if they don't increase spawn rates based on population, then yes, low pop servers will have a slight advantage as there is less fighting for casts per pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Farath View Post
    Personally I did mine on Moon Guard because I'm on Oceanic servers which don't get the stupid world quest. We have to phase ourselves to an actual NA realm to do it. I had no real trouble on Moon Guard with competition even though I believe it's one of the higher pop realms.

On your second point, there use to be a US realm that wasn't affected by CRZ not sure if it's still that way or not though. Again though, if that realm isn't an actual NA realm, it may not get the WQ to spawn just like on Oceanic realms.
    Actually, Moon Guard's population has been suffering pretty badly of late -- it's consistently been at medium population instead of high/full like it was a year or so ago.

I didn't know the fishing competition couldn't spawn on Oceanic realms... that's pretty crappy.

Any source on this ?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Actually, Moon Guard's population has been suffering pretty badly of late -- it's consistently been at medium population instead of high/full like it was a year or so ago.

I didn't know the fishing competition couldn't spawn on Oceanic realms... that's pretty crappy.
    It's at medium because it's been upgraded. Even OutlandEU which is the biggest EU realm is now at medium

Deleted
    When did this new thing start? Haven't heard anything about it aside from something a couple months ago that they wanted to look into updating this event.

How does it work now?

I got the pole, fishing line, ring, and boots all before CRZ started. So proud of that.

That said, I'm glad for this change. The ring is a nice thing to have while leveling and more people with access is a good thing.

This isn't because I won seven times in a row once for nothing other then bragging rights is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Socronoss View Post
    When did this new thing start? Haven't heard anything about it aside from something a couple months ago that they wanted to look into updating this event.

How does it work now?
    It's a WQ that starts at 2pm PST on Sundays. That means it is locked to North American times and if you're in a different time zone around the world playing on NA realms, you need to find out when that time is for you. I assume it's the same for EU realms in that you'd need to find out which servers the WQ will pop up on. Other than that, I don't believe it's any different to before except that first place goes to the first 50 people who turn in the WQ per region. You'll also need to phase yourself to a north American realm if you use the American client, but play on other servers such as Oceanic.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Got it long ago after the relaunched the tournament in Legion.

Even like 2 hours after it started I could still choose the ring.

So it definately did not seem first 50 of all of EU.

Deleted
    So basically you have a bigger chance to win to get the ring now? Also does it matter what your fishing skill is at? I read somewhere it didn't but i doubt it tbh

Quote Originally Posted by velentry View Post
    So basically you have a bigger chance to win to get the ring now? Also does it matter what your fishing skill is at? I read somewhere it didn't but i doubt it tbh
    Looks like it. Fishing skill doesn't matter because you can only get tastyfish from pools, and casts in pools have a 100% chance to be a successful cast*.
    *Disclaimer: This does not necessarily mean you will get a tastyfish from each cast. You might get crates or other random white quality stuff from the pools instead.