Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why do people on amazon answer questions they don't know the answer to?

So I was browsing amazon, casually looking at a tablet stand and decided to look at the questions and I noticed that there was an answer which may as well have just said "I dunno". Why do people do this? If you see a question that has been asked but you don't know the answer, why would you tell asker that you don't know?

I realised that this seems to happen a lot, I pick some random items and found some examples:

Question:hi will it fit the samsung galaxy tab s 10.5
    Answer:I'm not sure to be honest I would ask amongst your peer group - I only bought when I got my fire tablet - sorry, cant be more specific!
    Basically: Dunno, ask your friends.

Question:Hi I just purchased this watch and the temperature on the watch isn't accurate nor does it match temp
    Answer:I don't know sorry it was a present
    Basically: Dunno, but I did buy one for someone else once.

Question:How good is it for drilling masonry? Ive never had any good results with battery powered tools.
    Answer:Not sure not tried masonry with it
    Basically: I bought one of these but I don't actually know the answer you are looking for.

Question: Can the alarm be set to 'week days only'
    Answer:Sorry don't know the person using it does not use the alarm.
    Basically: My friend just uses the clock feature.

None of those answers are helpful at all, why would you respond to a question on amazon that you don't know the answer to?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they are e-mailed asking if they can answer it and are assuming some person is asking for their answer thoughts and not an algorithm.

Looks like this:

John Everyman gets that e-mail and thinks "Ooh, Amazon himself wants to hear what I have to say! Let me just fill in this box with my inane thoughts and boom, job well done!"

That's why so many are either irrelevant or just unhelpful.
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2017-07-09 at 10:10 PM.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    Because stupid, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Because they are e-mailed asking if they can answer it and are assuming some person is asking for their answer thoughts and not an algorithm.
    But surely you would just read the question and think "I don't know the answer, I'm not gonna add anything to this"...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Because stupid, that's why.
    This was a much more concise summary of my response.
    [/url]

Because a vast majority of people in the world are just downright morons.

Doesn't the ranking system take care of this? Probably not of people take time to rank the responses.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    But surely you would just read the question and think "I don't know the answer, I'm not gonna add anything to this"...
    But social media has trained millions to think their opinions are desired on any and all topics, even those they have no context or understanding of.

I mean just look at the people on this forum who feel compelled to post a reply on every single thread they see, even if they have no clue what's going on. Reminds me of myself a few years ago actually.
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    The same reason when people make polls on here asking "Do you like X or Y" and the response is "I don't like either" when they could have literally not posted. Sometimes people have a desire to make a response that isn't useful or relevant to the question.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Well, apparently not.

But yeah, Amazon does like to email you about every purchase, asking if you can leave a review, or if you can answer a question. They shouldn't clearly since it leads to such inane answers though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Dunno. Have you tried googling?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Dunno. Have you tried googling?
    Are you a customer from Amazon, by any chance?

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    This, and people reviewing products on the internet with "I like it / I don't like it" is why I drink.

Another annoying thing is when people post reviews of products they haven't even tried. For example, I once saw an review of a video game on Amazon that said, "I don't have the game and I haven't played it yet, but the cover looks really cool and I'm looking forward to it! 5 stars"

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Amazon pushes all of their automation on to sellers and "gasp" buyers as well. They save a buck and you have to deal with the bs.

Their auto-return authorizations is another sad example. Doesn't save anyone money, time, or grief but themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately some poeple love to give their opinion even when uninformed. If I don't understand or am ignorant on a topic I'll just say that I'm not qualified to give an answer to that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't a Amazon specific problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I don't know.
    Wrong answer! Always remember, "when in doubt, blurt it out!".
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dr assbandit View Post
    wrong answer! Always remember, "when in doubt, blurt it out!".
    because!!!!