Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    It's not. It's been working, it works.
    If trickle down works why has wealth become more concentrated at the top since trickle down was popularized?

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    If trickle down works why has wealth become more concentrated at the top since trickle down was popularized?
    That very well may be what he considers "working as intended." Which is pigheaded and awful for almost everyone, but c'est la vie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Thank God for Missouri. Don't bankrupt your state for the useless lazy mother fuckers like Seattle is finding out.

Imagine that some high school failure drop out shouldn't be making 15 bucks an hour at mcdonalds.

Aren't they kinda shooting their own voters there? :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    It's millions and millions of americans that need to support a family. They can't all collectively get a better job.
    This is why I wonder if a one child policy would have to be enforced once automation fully takes over.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    so because you've never seen it happen it must not exist then? does that mean atoms don't exist because you can't see them?
    Did I say it never happends?

I proposed my perspective from my country, then asked a serious question.

What's wrong with you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you confusing personal income taxes with corporate taxes?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Some of the fast food establishments in Chicago are 24 hours. A majority of the people working the overnight shift and the 6am-3pm shift tend to be older individuals as the teenagers are usually in bed or in school at these times. Fortunately we're climbing towards a $13/hour minimum wage here come Jan. 2019 so it should help a little at least.
    Good to see that things are getting better.

When it comes to overnight shifts, how do salaries work then?

Surely they get payed for uncomfortable working hours? If so show much more

The proper minimum wage is zero dollars. That said it only works if it enforced on a national level. The other states will just cause inflation with their higher minimum wages so you lose in the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something something democrats, something something emails
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Aren't they kinda shooting their own voters there? :P
    America in a nutshell. They achieve office by votes, but those votes are achieved in a huge race to spend on advertising themselves. That money comes from donors - businesses or business owners, not particularly interested in paying more to their employees. Enough adverts can drown facts and if neither candidate makes minimum wage an issue it never even matters. If one of them does, good luck finding other donors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post

Usually there's a shift bonus for nights -- Somewhere in the vicinity of 50 cents to a dollar more an hour. It really varies by Company.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

While I believe that raising the minimum wage relieved the symptoms instead of curing the disease, this move still seems counterproductive and petty.

Living is still too expensive, costs just went up with the wage increase, at least in my area. Taxes are going up, rent is going up, and everyone's prices are going up. Despite people making more money, nothing has changed. What's the point at all?

Now you have a state like Missouri where chances are the same thing happened when wages went up. If you lower the wages, prices aren't going to magically drop. So now you'll have a population that can afford even less than before which sounds like a recipe for making the state go broke.

I'm not an economist so my opinion means jack, but lowering the wage certainly won't improve anything.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    This is why I wonder if a one child policy would have to be enforced once automation fully takes over.
    even china went away from 1 child policy -_-

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Not A Cat View Post
    While I believe that raising the minimum wage relieved the symptoms instead of curing the disease, this move still seems counterproductive and petty.

Living is still too expensive, costs just went up with the wage increase, at least in my area. Taxes are going up, rent is going up, and everyone's prices are going up. Despite people making more money, nothing has changed. What's the point at all?

Now you have a state like Missouri where chances are the same thing happened when wages went up. If you lower the wages, prices aren't going to magically drop. So now you'll have a population that can afford even less than before which sounds like a recipe for making the state go broke.

I'm not an economist so my opinion means jack, but lowering the wage certainly won't improve anything.
    you are looking at it a bit wrong - living was always expansive for those who had shit jobs - dont belive even for a second that the "american dream" people were living in 40s-70s was there for everyone - it was there for white working americans - if you were black/irish/italian/mexican you werent living ameircan dream in nice cozy house with car etc - you were fighting for survival and living in shit conditions - just like uneducated poor people live now .

same for EU - people seem to have this strange stupid belive that it was always like it is now which is compelte bs - people need to watch documentaries on condiditions blue collar workers worked in factories etc after 2nd WW and how they rebeled against it - this would open their eyes what build the wealth that we live now in.

in order to build up capitalism there always has to be some sort of slave class who would build it for those who live cozy lives with good jobs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    As an Iowan, I would love to jump in here and rag on Missouri about how backward that place is, but unfortunately in this case the state of Iowa beat Missouri to the punch, as early this year the state legislature revoked higher minimum wages being set in three counties and one city.

Before I worked for a living, I thought that successful companies had successful employees, movies and tv shows often showed people who would get promotions, pay raises, and bonuses based on how well the company was doing. After working for a couple of years for the same company it became apparent that how the media portrayed compensation was not how it worked. I've never received a bonus and only received a single pay raise (any time my wage went up it was because I got a different job). The point really was driven home when I was working as a chef, I realized that I couldn't afford to eat the food I made.
    thats the problem - you thought because your teachers in school and your parents didnt teach you how world really works - that very very very common problem of loads of people that they are raised in false belive spread by mass media (commersial, TV series etc etc showing only happy shiny rich people ) that when they will be adoults what waits for them is nice cozy job with huge salary that will let them live crazy fun lives .

reality is such lives avait only lucky 5 % most of whom are/will be kids of already wealthy people - for majority only thing that awaits will be boring tiring jobs that will provide them something but it wont be enough to live fun crazy life

and its fault of teachers and parents that in order to protect "innocence" they dont teach that to kids - maybe if they did tell them how truth looks like they would work 500 times harder in order to reach that top 5 % of jobs instead of ending up in job that will never let them buy that 5 mln $ house or ferrari no matter how hard they try.
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2017-07-10 at 09:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    The proper minimum wage is zero dollars.
    This has already been tried and failed miserably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Not A Cat View Post
    While I believe that raising the minimum wage relieved the symptoms instead of curing the disease, this move still seems counterproductive and petty. Living is still too expensive, costs just went up with the wage increase, at least in my area. Taxes are going up, rent is going up, and everyone's prices are going up. Despite people making more money, nothing has changed. What's the point at all? Now you have a state like Missouri where chances are the same thing happened when wages went up. If you lower the wages, prices aren't going to magically drop. So now you'll have a population that can afford even less than before which sounds like a recipe for making the state go broke. I'm not an economist so my opinion means jack, but lowering the wage certainly won't improve anything.
    Don't stop there...because you forgot to add that wage increases rarely ever match inflation. Which means every year while a wage might go up a fraction, inflation kicks in higher, and eventually the gap gets too wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Are you confusing personal income taxes with corporate taxes?

Are you confusing "wealth has become more concentrated at the top over decades since *trickle down*"

Where is the trickle down?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    The proper minimum wage is zero dollars. That said it only works if it enforced on a national level. The other states will just cause inflation with their higher minimum wages so you lose in the end.
    You people sure have a thing for wanting people to be paid at shit as much as possible.

You want am minimum wage that makes it impossible for people to take part in the economy, must rely even moron hand outs instead? Yep that seems pretty standard for most republican states. Extremely poor, consistenly voting against their own interest, and being the largest soaker ups of government money while demanding people pull themselves up. Meanwhile its the blue states with their higher wealth and education taking care of them.

It is like watching a kid who is mad he keeps hurting himself yet keeps putting his hand into fire... you keep giving him bandages and fixing his wounds, yet he insists to keep on sticking his hand into fire. How masochistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post

You do know 'salaries' aren't based on a $/hour, right? It's a fixed $/year. If they work overtime - they get nothing for it. If they miss work - they get paid regardless. If they choose to do a midnight shift - they get nothing for working 'uncomfortable hours' unless it was negotiated in their contract

Deleted
    it is about time!

so fed up of employers wanting a qualification and skillset for a job that is just unrealistic for the type of people who would be looking to apply for that job.

and having the excuse of well for $10 an hour we want someone with a masters degree from a top 10 college/university to stack our shelves in walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Dankdruid View Post
    it is about time!

so fed up of employers wanting a qualification and skillset for a job that is just unrealistic for the type of people who would be looking to apply for that job.

and having the excuse of well for $10 an hour we want someone with a masters degree from a top 10 college/university to stack our shelves in walmart.
    The living standards in st Louis requires more money than the rest of the state... so that area raises their minimum wage to a level that is about equal with what it already is but it is specific to that area. How is not allowing them to do that a good thing? It's like if the federal government suddenly said "You know what Missouri as a state bare minimum 7.70 works; however, let's make it 4.50 and they can't raise it."

It's retarded.