Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much the same range of assholery I see from the peasant class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    My parents grew up super poor, my fathers upbringing was so bad that the house he lived in as a child didn't even have interior walls, absolute poverty. My mother, 1 of 18, was kicked out of her house at 11 to live with her oldest sister because there wasn't room for her at her mothers house. My parents made a decent life for themselves, I grew up middle class, which was a massive improvement for my parents, and a move up the social ladder for my family, and they worked their asses off for that step up. Now, coming from that upbringing, of being lower class when i was younger, to middle class as a teenager, the nastiest people I've dealt with in my life were the kids in the low income apartment complex I was in as a kid. I remember them starting fights with me all the time, being complete assholes in school, the works. I distinctly remember their parents usually egging on fights in the quad, having the police called for disturbances etc... Also, the entitlement attitude was atrocious, and still, when i look back on this, it makes me sick to think how that how area was.

When i was middle class as a teenager, my parents finally saved up enough to buy a home, after being married 15 years, everything was completely different. Everyone was a lot nicer, people lived fairly modest, and just enjoyed being with their families. I remember that shitty apartment, everyone driving their expensive cars, you would see people who worked shitty jobs, or didn't work at all, driving around in cars with 20 inch rims, and even some driving new BMWs and Mercs. Yet, once i moved to the suburbs, most people had Toyota's and Ford's. Yeah, there were absolutely a fair share of assholes in my teenage neighborhood, but not nearly the scale i experienced early on.

Now, my current life, where i work directly with two partners of a top private wealth management team, but are work 30M+, both in their 30's, most humble individuals ive ever met. They're also "trust fund babies" who inherited the business from their father who passed away, they value work, family, and helping others. Truly some of the nicest people I know. When i first started working here, i used my "hood rich" outlook, went out and bought a fancy expensive car, was spend thousands of dollars a month on shit that wasn't even rent. Then i looked at my bosses, both rich, one had a 2007 corolla and lived in a studio apartment across the street from work. Now i live more like them, and i'm slowly become extremely well off myself, even in my late 20's.

Its not so much someones net worth as much as its their upbringing, and i see a lot of people here saying "rich people only hangout with other rich people". From my life experiences, i can absolutely see why they would, would i want my kids hanging around the areas i was exposed to as a kid? fuck no. But i also understand not wanting to shelter them.

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Assholes, mostly. Pompous, braindead assholes who look upon not so rich people like those are trash.
    Pretty much this, but there are a few exceptions.

I have three cousins who are rich; 1 earned, 2 inherited into money.

The male cousin who inherited money is down to Earth and doesn't really let his money go to his head. The most he spends his money on is new fishing equipment and fishing trips to smaller areas. He works as a Fish and Game Wildlife officer even though he never has to work a day in his life if he doesn't want to. His sister on the other hand, thinks she's better than everyone, has a nanny raise her two kids, the second of which was artificially conceived so they could select the sex of the child, goes to the nail and tanning salon twice a week, has never worked a day in her life, you get the picture. The third cousin earned her money. Her personal life has suffered a bit for her working, but all in all she's a decent enough person.

So i live and work in a very wealthy area, i would say about 70 percent of them are very snobby and believe everything should be handed to them on a gold platter, the other 30 percent are very sweet and mostly older.

My aunt and uncle are extremely wealthy but are very conservative with their money but very very liberal (both of them are ex hippies)

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Hardly answers the question.

You said the point of saving money, is to have money to spend when it matters.

So allow me to rephrase the question then: How much money does one need saved, if said person considers nothing but the bare minimum to survive, to be worth spending money on?
    Whats wrong with wanting to leave a large trust to your kids/grand kids? Believe it or not, not everyone thinks "i want my money for me right now". A lot of people say "rich people are greedy assholes", but i would wager that a lot of the people saying that would be massive cocks if they were suddenly very wealthy. I find this type of thread to be a massive projection from people who say this type of stuff.

I know one of my major goals in life is to have a nice large trust to allow my kids/grandchildren to live comfortably, provide them with college accounts (since i had to join the military to go to college), and pass on a legacy. I used to party and blow through cash, but ive grown up a lot, but people 20 years my senior still act that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've known 2 or maybe 3...I don't know if rich is the word but definitely wealthy beyond your average middle class.

One was a down to earth nice guy
    One was a screw the little guy over to make more money even though he didn't need it
    The last...well she was a spoiled little brat I knew in JrH/HS and she was so spoiled she cried just because she didn't get the perfect little Freshman year schedule.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know any "rich" people. I know a lot of upper middle class types that think they're rich however and some are okay, some are jackasses. Way it goes for people in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyyrogue View Post
    Whats wrong with wanting to leave a large trust to your kids/grand kids? Believe it or not, not everyone thinks "i want my money for me right now". A lot of people say "rich people are greedy assholes", but i would wager that a lot of the people saying that would be massive cocks if they were suddenly very wealthy. I find this type of thread to be a massive projection from people who say this type of stuff.

I know one of my major goals in life is to have a nice large trust to allow my kids/grandchildren to live comfortably, provide them with college accounts (since i had to join the military to go to college), and pass on a legacy. I used to party and blow through cash, but ive grown up a lot, but people 20 years my senior still act that way.
    There's a difference between being fiscally responsible with one's money, and then choosing to live a life at basically poverty line just because the thought of using a single dollar is abhorrent.

Pretty sure the kids would also be able to manage money wise, since they'll be close to retirement age before they see a penny of inheritance, and as such they already had to manage their own way to that point, including the mentioned grandchildren would also be way into their own careers too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone I know can be found on a spectrum from poor student to average middle class, the vast majority falls within the middle class.

I just don't know anyone who's really well off. Nor do I associate with anyone I don't like, that cuts out a whole lot of headache from your life.

Most of them are hardworking, cool people.

Most of the wanna-be-rich are dickheads to other who not as rich as themselves, but they're mostly middle class, who think that they're in the TOP rich people.

Deleted
    A friend of mine is considerably rich. He has a factory, a market store, some houses, industry buildings.. and he built himself a home which costs around 1.000.000$. And paid it by cash.

And he is a nice guy. I mean, he would be no friend of mine if he wasnt.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I mean, other than the fact that you totally made that up or are parroting nonsense from the rich people themselves...yeah, sure, you're totally right that society "vilifies wealth".
    I mean, it absolutely does these days, this entire thread is proof of that. In modern society, accumulating wealth, through hard work, or from the previous generation of your family makes you a bad person, which is completely insane.

Pretty down to earth. They got their life taken care of.

High middle class though, that bunch could be taken down a notch or two.

Only rich people I know are really kind and sort of crazy.
    They worked for it instead of getting it on a silver platter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I mean, other than the fact that you totally made that up or are parroting nonsense from the rich people themselves...yeah, sure, you're totally right that society "vilifies wealth".
    oh yes, I am making that up, sure. Why do you think this topic even exist?

Deleted
    Dunno, never cooked one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Niibek View Post
    Uh-oh, right. Sure.
    Eh? They work 70 to 80h a week and they spend pretty much all of their spare time with their parents or siblings.
    Dunno whats weird about that statement. Or are you under the impression theres 70 hours in a week?

depends. I will say that people who want to appear to be rich (and not necessarily ARE rich, they just want to look like they are), tend to be the biggest assholes and awful tippers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Most people would probably consider my uncle rich. Probably ups his networth 3-5 million a year. He's liberal on social issues but wants lower taxes so yeah. He votes solely on that issue. He's also an alcoholic.

- - - Updated - - -

8 figures is a billion dollars. I think you're off by 1.
    8 figures is a billion dollars? what?

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    8 figures is a billion dollars? what?
    Maybe it's kinda like Pentagon counting. Couple missing zeros here and there, no big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.