10+ Year Old Account

Quick question about PCI-E lanes

Hullo!

Would I be experiencing any throttling or loss of performance by running the following all at once:

Two 2TB HDDs, Two 500GB SATA SSDs, and a 250GB NVMe PCI-E SSD on a Maximus Hero & 7700K? Running a 1080 as well.

PC Part Picker says that just one SATA port would be inactive with that NVMe SSD. I'm not too familiar with their specific requirements, and am wondering if a 7700K would support all this storage at once. I've delayed and delayed so long that Coffee Lake is now around the corner and X299 is out, so if moving off of Z270 is the only way it can happen, that's actually doable because so much time has passed and the savings have grown and grown.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

It should work fine, just make sure to not connect a sata drive to that one port. I think if you go x299 this restriction may not be there due to more lanes aviable and mobo makers don't need route the NVMe drives via the SATA lanes.

I'm still convinced coffee lake will launch in august and waiting for that, think a couple extra cores are going to be worth more to me then a couple hundred hmhz from Kaby.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    It should work fine, just make sure to not connect a sata drive to that one port. I think if you go x299 this restriction may not be there due to more lanes aviable and mobo makers don't need route the NVMe drives via the SATA lanes.

I'm still convinced coffee lake will launch in august and waiting for that, think a couple extra cores are going to be worth more to me then a couple hundred hmhz from Kaby.
    Cool cool.

I thought Coffee Lake was confirmed (rumored) for mid-August release? Or were those just rumors?
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2017-07-05 at 04:12 PM.
    [/url]

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Cool cool.

I thought Coffee Lake was confirmed (rumored) for mid-August release? Or were those just rumors?
    Still rumors, but Coffee Lake engineering samples are starting to show up in performance databases, so Aug/Sept release is still quite likely.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Hullo!

Would I be experiencing any throttling or loss of performance by running the following all at once:

Two 2TB HDDs, Two 500GB SATA SSDs, and a 250GB NVMe PCI-E SSD on a Maximus Hero & 7700K? Running a 1080 as well..

PC Part Picker says that just one SATA port would be inactive with that NVMe SSD. I'm not too familiar with their specific requirements, and am wondering if a 7700K would support all this storage at once. I've delayed and delayed so long that Coffee Lake is now around the corner and X299 is out, so if moving off of Z270 is the only way it can happen, that's actually doable because so much time has passed and the savings have grown and grown.
    Storage support is dictated by the motherboard chipset and hardware. You aren't going to be able to find a noticeable performance difference with a consumer level storage set up, regardless of what you use.

Worse case scenario, dropping from a x16 PCIe 3.0 connection for the graphics card to a x8 has an essentially nil impact on performance, even if you were to use some of the CPU PCIe lanes for the NVME ssd. You will probably hurt the performance a hair by using some of the chipset PCIe lanes rather than the CPU PCIe lanes, but again you'd need to be running benchmarking software to even detect the difference.

Basically you're worrying about nothing.

Frankly though I remain unconvinced that > 4 cores (and hyperthreading at all) are of any significant use, outside of highly threaded applications.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akainakali View Post
    Storage support is dictated by the motherboard chipset and hardware. You aren't going to be able to find a noticeable performance difference with a consumer level storage set up, regardless of what you use.

Worse case scenario, dropping from a x16 PCIe 3.0 connection for the graphics card to a x8 has an essentially nil impact on performance, even if you were to use some of the CPU PCIe lanes for the NVME ssd. You will probably hurt the performance a hair by using some of the chipset PCIe lanes rather than the CPU PCIe lanes, but again you'd need to be running benchmarking software to even detect the difference.

Basically you're worrying about nothing.

Frankly though I remain unconvinced that > 4 cores (and hyperthreading at all) are of any significant use, outside of highly threaded applications.
    I'm running a 4670K at 4.3GHz and routinely reach 100% usage while running a modded Skyrim and trying to browse Chrome or watch a Twitch stream simultaneously. Meanwhile my 1080's sitting at 70% usage, hungry for more. My setup is unbalanced for what I'm now doing, which is multi-tasking while gaming. I would have gone Zen but the performance improvement for games was...not there. And that matters to me as a buyer. My 4670K would run Skyrim and Fallout exactly the same as on Zen, basically. It feels incorrect to me to jump onto a new platform, new CPU, new RAM, new MoBo and see no difference in FPS. I understand that it would have alleviated my multitasking issue, but when I'm dropping $1000+, I want to see everything increase, FPS included.

So I'm waiting for Coffee Lake. I could have gone Skylake or Kaby Lake and I would have seen an improvement, but I've waited so long, might as well wait for the "refined" version of 1151 to be out. And maybe I'll get 6 cores and hyperthreading if the rumors are true. That wouldn't be bad at all for gaming and Twitch, Youtube, etc.

I was aware that 16X vs 8X really wouldn't make a difference to my 1080 but I didn't know that it was basically the same thing for storage solutions too, or storage solutions impacting that I should say. Good to know!
    [/url]