10+ Year Old Account

Post New Zealand tops the global teen suicide rankings, again.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9370...welfare-report

New Zealand frequently sits at the top when it comes to international rankings in tourism and economics. A new Unicef report has ranked us number one in another global measure. This is not one to celebrate.

New Zealand has topped the global teen suicide rankings, again.

Our position in the world was cemented on Thursday by a Unicef report that called into question the wellbeing of Kiwi kids.

The Innocenti Report found New Zealand's rate for teen suicides (15-19) was the highest of the 41 OECD and EU countries included. We also came in 38th out of 41 countries when it came to overall health and wellbeing of our young people.

New Zealand frequently sits at the top when it comes to international rankings in tourism and economics. A new Unicef report has ranked us number one in another global measure. This is not one to celebrate.

New Zealand has topped the global teen suicide rankings, again.

Our position in the world was cemented on Thursday by a Unicef report that called into question the wellbeing of Kiwi kids.
    Kaleb's dad David Hurn says society has created this problem, now it's up to us to find the solution.
    SUPPLIED

Kaleb's dad David Hurn says society has created this problem, now it's up to us to find the solution.

The Innocenti Report found New Zealand's rate for teen suicides (15-19) was the highest of the 41 OECD and EU countries included. We also came in 38th out of 41 countries when it came to overall health and wellbeing of our young people.

Meanwhile, Portugal topped the list at the right end, with a teen suicide rate of 1.7 per 100,000. Italy and Spain were close behind.

The report put New Zealand's teen suicide rate of 15.6 people per 100,000, based on data from 2010. The rate had dropped slightly from the previous comparable report that used 2005 data but more recent figures show we were now headed in the other direction.

Provisional suicide statistics released by the Coroner's Office, show 51 (16.02 per 100,000) people in the age group died by suicide in the year to June 2016 and 52 (16.41 per 100,000) the previous year.

In an average week two young people would kill themselves, and about 20 young people would be hospitalised for self-harm, according to Youthline.

A lack of social skills and face-to-face interactions, an ingrained fear of failure, a fear of being different, and bullying all played a part.

Hurn said New Zealand would never completely eradicate teen suicide but the rates could be significantly lowered by teaching children a few fundamental things.

"We need to show our kids it's OK to be different… there's nothing wrong with failing and it's OK to make mistakes."

"It's building up that resilience," Hurn said.

Kiwis needed to look in the mirror and start making changes if they wanted to fix the problem.

"We've created what we have, now it's up to us to create what we want."

Hurn's father died recently and a section of his eulogy resonated: "I didn't grow up to be a rocket scientist; I didn't grow up to be prime minister; I grew up to be me, and I'm the best me that I can be."

Suicide, especially teen suicide, has become a high-profile political issue during the past few months given New Zealand's consistently high rates.

The government is in the midst of writing its new national suicide prevention strategy, which is currently out for public consultation. But the strategy was thrown into the limelight for the wrong reasons after mental health advocate and comedian Mike King quit the consultation panel, calling the draft strategy "deeply flawed".
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9370...welfare-report

Wow this is quite a high suicide rate. NZ does well in other world rankings but it sure seems like they have a major problem here. The scary thing is that it's not just this year but a long term trend.

What tactics do you think are necessary to reduce this rate?

what the heck? why they live in paradise...
    guess it's not all what it's cracked up to be?

10+ Year Old Account
    I was watching a news story about the difficulty the Maoris face today. It's quite sad when you think about it. In particular they make up a huge percentage of the prison population. Wonder why it isn't in the news more. At least this is..

Quote Originally Posted by ehxy View Post
    I lived in Hawaii for 9 years and it is called "paradise". Doesn't change the fact people struggle with social interaction, self worth, bullying, and mental health issues. Good weather and access to a beach doesn't make that all go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I was watching a news story about the difficulty the Maoris face today. It's quite sad when you think about it. In particular they make up a huge percentage of the prison population. Wonder why it isn't in the news more. At least this is..

He doesn't look Maori and his last name is Hurn.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    From the personal experience of having a half Kiwi family and living across the pond from them - the stats don't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by ehxy View Post
    we have a bit of a culture problem in small towns with gangs and not many job opportunities

A lot of kids have kids and dont teach them the correct skills. Its not limited to NZ

The stats in the source are contradictory. Will wait for a reputable source to care.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    From the personal experience of having a half Kiwi family and living across the pond from them - the stats don't surprise me.
    aussie has its fair share of problems as well

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    aussie has its fair share of problems as well
    Did I say otherwise? The state of our Aboriginal population at the very least is leagues more atrocious and upsetting than the Moaris.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is this caused by some macho culture where you're not meant to speak out?