Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Seattle to vote on implementing income tax on just the wealthy

http://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/...t-wealthy.html

Well, with the new tax on diet drinks intended to "fight white privilege" and now a tax proposal meant to punish those mean old rich people, I wouldn't want to be a rich white man in Seattle.

Additionally, this tax increase seems to be a bad idea, given that the state has repeatedly shot down graduated income tax proposals.

Seattle, a city located in one of seven states without a personal income tax, is debating whether to implement one on its wealthiest residents Monday.

Under a proposal being considered by the Seattle City Council, only the top earning residents would be subject to the income tax – those individuals with incomes in excess of $250,000 and those filing jointly with incomes in excess of $500,000 would pay a 2.25% tax.

The tax is largely expected to pass; the council’s finance committee gave the proposal the green light last week, even raising the rate from 2% to 2.25%, according to The Seattle Times.

Supporters of the new tax say the city's explosive economic growth and prosperity has created significant wealth and opportunity, but it has also exacerbated the affordable housing crisis that has put a strain on those in lower income brackets.

A Seattle tax would be a step toward building political momentum for the state and its other cities and towns to enact progressive tax systems, the city council said in resolution earlier this year endorsing the idea of an income tax.

"State tax reform is urgently needed so our lowest-income residents pay less, our middle-class neighbors pay about the same, and our highest-income residents pay more," Councilmember Tim Burgess said in a statement Wednesday after the proposal advanced out of his finance committee.

The measure is certain to face a court challenge from opponents who call the tax proposal illegal, unconstitutional and a waste of taxpayer money. If passed, city leaders are likely to keep expanding and increasing the tax over time, they said.

The council is "going to unanimously adopt an illegal income tax that has no hope of taking effect and will waste taxpayer resources on litigation the city is sure to lose," said Jason Mercier, who directs the center for government reform with the Washington Policy Center.

At a rally Monday before the vote, Seattle Mayor Ed Murray said the city expects a legal challenge.

"We welcome that legal challenge. We welcome that fight," he said. If the city wins that battle, "it won't just be Seattle that's doing a progressive income tax," he added.

The city estimates the income tax will raise about $140 million a year. Under the measure, revenue could be used to lower property taxes, pay for public services such as transit and housing, replace any federal money that is lost and meet carbon reduction goals.

Voters in the state have rejected personal income tax-related measures at the statewide ballot several times over the past eight decades. They did approve an income tax in 1932, but the state Supreme Court ruled the measure unconstitutional the following year.

Mercier said there is decades of case law saying that a graduated income tax is unconstitutional because income is property and under the constitution, property tax has to be taxed uniformly and no more than 1 percent.

The council proposal notes that the state has among the most regressive tax systems in the country.

Deleted
    You know of course it's awful and terrible. But the more the left cannibalizes itself the sooner they destroy themselves completely.

So uh, great! Go for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ain't nothing wrong with a wealth tax.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Ain't nothing wrong with a wealth tax.
    I agree, comrad. Tax those nasty rich people to hell!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm against inequality and support measures which will reduce it.

10+ Year Old Account
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.” - Ben Franklin*

Especially when they can vote to give themselves other peoples' money.

*Whether he actually said it is debatable. But the point remains.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

That's the thing about rich people. They just don't seem to have the money to pay for anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.” - Ben Franklin*

Yeah, no. The actual evidence demonstrates that a widening wealth gap is far more deleterious to the health of the state than wealth redistribution via taxes.

Plus, it's a fucking 2.5% tax. They can't afford that third yacht, boo hoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    That why you hate fat people?

2.25% doesn't seem ridiculous, and if the people of Seattle vote for it, why not?

2.25% tax? Oh noes, those poor rich people! Whatever will they do???

For the record, that's half of what people in my state pay on up to $14,500 a year. I think the poor Seattle richies will get by, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Yeah, no. The actual evidence demonstrates that a widening wealth gap is far more deleterious to the health of the state than wealth redistribution via taxes.

Plus, it's a fucking 2.5% tax. They can't afford that third yacht, boo hoo.
    Why is Tony ranting about just hurting white people? Well I know why, but in reality it doesn't make sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post

Yes, let us all lob sourceless vague pseudo-truisms.

But I mean while we're at it...

"If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?"

Wonder where that one came from...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Luckily I live in the county north of Seattle and do most of my work in Bellevue and the East Side. I'm not at the level to be hit by the proposed tax yet, but when I am I should be safe from Seattle's depredations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    but how does a 2.5% tax increase on rich people help solve the wealth gap?

That's not giving poor people more money, it's giving the state more money.
    ...And you think the state is going to spend it on blackjack and hookers?

From the article:

"The city estimates the income tax will raise about $140 million a year. Under the measure, revenue could be used to lower property taxes, pay for public services such as transit and housing, replace any federal money that is lost and meet carbon reduction goals."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Luckily I live in the county north of Seattle and do most of my work in Bellevue and the East Side. I'm not at the level to be hit by the proposed tax yet, but when I am I should be safe from Seattle's depredations.
    So you could be benefiting from this proposed tax if you lived in Seattle but you're happy not to live there. That makes no sense.

People do realize that when the wealthy get taxed too heavily they leave right? And then what happens? Well they take their businesses and wealth with them. And that hurts the ppl who work in those businesses. Now i dont know if this tax will do that but Seattle better be careful it doesnt shoot itself in the foot with moves like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    That why you hate fat people?

2.25% doesn't seem ridiculous, and if the people of Seattle vote for it, why not?
    Just because your neighbors vote to take some of your money doesn't mean it's moral or just.

"That will show those dirty rich people."

Later

"Rich people please comeback!"

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post

Well, with the new tax on diet drinks intended to "fight white privilege" and now a tax proposal meant to punish those mean old rich people, I wouldn't want to be a rich white man in Seattle.
    people naturally hate those better than them
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    People do realize that when the wealthy get taxed too heavily they leave right? And then what happens? Well they take their businesses and wealth with them. And that hurts the ppl who work in those businesses. Now i dont know if this tax will do that but Seattle better be careful it doesnt shoot itself in the foot with moves like this.
    Yeah they could always just move to Somalia if they hate taxes so much.