10+ Year Old Account

Largest PvP Battle - EVE

https://community.eveonline.com/news...ath-of-b-r5rb/

Stumbled on this today. I don't play EVE like at all... but I would have thought I'd hear about that here at least.

This is insane.

I wish PvP in WoW were of this caliber.

Former EVE player here: the thing about EVE battles, is that the server actually has to slow down time just so the thousand player battles can be simulated. Now, EVE already has long cooldowns for your most basic actions such as shield boost or turret fire. Now, get into these thousand player Alliance battles. I hope you have food ready and a movie to watch, because you're going to be sitting in your chair for the next few hours inputting only a handful of commands. It great to brag about online and show videos online of the pretty fireworks, but damn it's NOT that entertaining to play at all.

I played Eve once but it was too graphics intensive for my garbage PC. But 2 weeks ago I got the new PC that's linked in my signature, and Eve is one of the few games I actually care about downloading again and playing...

This thread is making me thirst for it even more.

These huge multiple thousand ship battles seem cool and nice to read about, but they're boring as hell. these huge battle force time dilation to occur which massively slows down the gameplay. dragging these fights out for hours on end. even large scale fights that don't have time dilation tend to be pretty boring for most of the participants. most people on grid are just f1 monkeys waiting to be told who to target and press f1.

Deleted
    Still interesting, but this happened more than three years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamov View Post
    These huge multiple thousand ship battles seem cool and nice to read about, but they're boring as hell. these huge battle force time dilation to occur which massively slows down the gameplay. dragging these fights out for hours on end. even large scale fights that don't have time dilation tend to be pretty boring for most of the participants. most people on grid are just f1 monkeys waiting to be told who to target and press f1.
    Well it's either time dilation or let the server lag to hell.

On topic. One of my friends called me up and said he was in a huge ass battle on this. Went round to see him and this was it. Was genuinely surprised at how intense it was. Always said to myself "if this game goes F2P I'll have to pick it up".

Considering downloading it now to be honest since it is F2P now. I assume as a F2P player though there are limits?

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post

On topic. One of my friends called me up and said he was in a huge ass battle on this. Went round to see him and this was it. Was genuinely surprised at how intense it was. Always said to myself "if this game goes F2P I'll have to pick it up".

Considering downloading it now to be honest since it is F2P now. I assume as a F2P player though there are limits?
    If time dilation wasn't in the game the server would just crash like they did numerous times prior to it's introduction. Which would lead to the losing side not logging back in so their ships aren't blown up.

you're restricted to only flying up to your factions tech 1 cruiser. most skills aren't available for you train. it's really just an unlimited trial account tbh. also what skills you can train are depend on the faction you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamov View Post
    If time dilation wasn't in the game the server would just crash like they did numerous times prior to it's introduction. Which would lead to the losing side not logging back in so their ships aren't blown up.

you're restricted to only flying up to your factions tech 1 cruiser. most skills aren't available for you train. it's really just an unlimited trial account tbh.
    Ah I see. To be honest I'll take a look and maybe throw a month sub down. Do I have to buy it as well or just sub?

Ah I see. To be honest I'll take a look and maybe throw a month sub down. Do I have to buy it as well or just sub?
    The only cost is the monthly sub. make sure to use referral link if you plan on trying it for the free 250,000 skill points.

Never actually looked into playing EVE because I didn't think the combat system and complexity was for me, but all the videos about them are always pretty hype. Especially those voice over trailers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Former EVE player here: the thing about EVE battles, is that the server actually has to slow down time just so the thousand player battles can be simulated. Now, EVE already has long cooldowns for your most basic actions such as shield boost or turret fire. Now, get into these thousand player Alliance battles. I hope you have food ready and a movie to watch, because you're going to be sitting in your chair for the next few hours inputting only a handful of commands. It great to brag about online and show videos online of the pretty fireworks, but damn it's NOT that entertaining to play at all.
    That's too bad... I've not looked into it too much personally.

Back when I lived at home my dad wasn't all that into WoW... but he wanted to show interest so he picked up EVE as an MMO, and never got anywhere near close to do anything like this. I think he played less than a month.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    Still interesting, but this happened more than three years ago.
    Sorry, I was looking up large PvP battles and stumbled on this. I was just amazed by the sheer size, the real world conversion for dollars lost, even the start of the war, and the factions that formed.

I wish WoW had a dynamic world where faction control/borders had the potential to change, expand, etc. It would definitely do wonders for PvP, or why we PvP.

It's a bit sad when the most fun part of a game isn't the actual game itself, but videos of a few big battles like this one, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    It's a bit sad when the most fun part of a game isn't the actual game itself, but videos of a few big battles like this one, IMO.
    The dirty truth about EVE is that it's often more fun to read about than actually play. It is visually stunning in places, and there's a hell of a lot to do in it (although these activities are not spoonfed to you), but there is also a lot of tedium.

Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    I wish PvP in WoW were of this caliber.
    Nice video, thanks for sharing. Yea I wish we could have something of similar scale in fantasy MMORPG. The best we will get with the current generation of MMORPG is like 100-150 players on screen with terrible FPS. Rendering empty space and LoD ships is less demanding than a large number of animated character battling with tons of objects / VFX / pets / grass, etc. around.

its free to trial, you pretty much cant do shit. Honestly with the way the developer has been i wouldnt reccomend this game to new people, they keep doing retarded change after retarded change.