View Poll Results: Should Blizzard introduce more LGBT characters?

Voters
311. This poll is closed
  • Yes

53 17.04%
  • No

258 82.96%
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking as someone who falls into the definition of "LGBT" ... no, it's really not needed.

Warcraft keeps most of this stuff in the background anyway, even heterosexual stuff is largely skirted around.

There are a few subtle nods already in the game to "LGBT" characters and I think that's fine. There's no need to force equality or anything. If it fits a character's story sometime in the future, then great! But don't force it or rub it in anyone's face. It's not that kind of game.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    The problem is that Blizzard writers don't think of lgbt characters to begin with. When the society around Blizzard supports lgbt characters.
    Why would they bother? It's their game

1)
    For many characters we don't know sexual orientation and it is the best that way. It is world of warcraft, why do you have to force some characters into a some group just because you want it that way. If it's not important for story it is not relevant.

2)
    This one is maybe more important. Since Blizzard is releasing games worldwide, some countries are not as liberal as US or European Union countries, game could be deemed not appropriate and banned in those countries. So no they wont cater to a few to lose big share of the market.

3)
    There is Marcus. He doesn't care about your age, gender, race or decomposition stage.

Nowadays, LGBT representation isn't an "issue" anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem is that Blizzard writers don't think of lgbt characters to begin with. When the society around Blizzard supports lgbt characters.
    But Azeroth is a fictional place. Maybe they don't support LGBTs in the same way that this world does. Maybe they don't even have LGBTs. You ever think about that bucko?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've come to an amazing realization about the representation of the LGBT community in game. It's non-existent
    And let's keep it that way!

It will cause more problems that it will solve: Just look, how Blizzard catered to Muslim players and added Synthebrew Goggles, so they didn't have to drink virtual alcohol, in order to complete certain quests during Brewfest..

Of you're gay and play WoW, fine.... But you don't need to stand on a mountain top and scream it to the world..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by Erinhia View Post
    Speaking as someone who falls into the definition of "LGBT" ... no, it's really not needed.

Warcraft keeps most of this stuff in the background anyway, even heterosexual stuff is largely skirted around.

There are a few subtle nods already in the game to "LGBT" characters and I think that's fine. There's no need to force equality or anything. If it fits a character's story sometime in the future, then great! But don't force it or rub it in anyone's face. It's not that kind of game.
    That's not true. WoW is not sexual, but it's very streamlined around heterosexuality. Arthas and Jaina's relationship. Thrall and his family.

Deleted
    SJW will doom us all one day.

Don't understand why anybody is listening to them. If you do something it's up to you how you will do that and what will be in the game. SJW is total ridiculous most of time. Like with "Kingdom come" all white characters. There were no black people in the 14th century in the middle of Europe and SJW was hitting game because there are no black people. And why there are not? because there were none in that time.

If SJW wants to be productive they should make movies, games etc with theirs motives and ideas they want. Like 1/10 is gay and 50/50 black/white, 30/70 fat/slim and another SJW bull****. And not talking and whining on developers because they do things like they want.
    Last edited by mmoc2ce944bfe1; 2017-07-11 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bannedforviews View Post
    but azeroth is a fictional place. Maybe they don't support lgbts in the same way that this world does. Maybe they don't even have lgbts. You ever think about that bucko?
    but why???

15+ Year Old Account
    My question here is why is Blizzard fighting the trend of creating an universe where LGBT characters are a norm
    This is actually the opposite of the truth. The quests that do have it, treat it like it should be. 100% normal. They don't say, "find my love, but please don't let anyone know!" They simply let you know that the female night elf in Azsuna wants you to find her partner. They don't bang you over the head with the fact that they are both female because to them it IS normalized. When I came across that quest in Legion, I thought it was handled exactly as it should be. As for major lore characters, we don't really know the orientation of many of them simply because it isn't important to the game. And that's how it should be. Gay or straight, they don't need to mention it unless its relevant in some way to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Where's all the straight people huh?! huh?! Seems the only time there's a straight couple in wow it's forced because they're having a kid or already have one! What's with this bullshit?!

See how it looks? See how stupid this looks? This game isn't about relationships, it's a fucking game about stabbing/shooting/casting spells at random fantasy races/characters. Take your agenda and shove it.
    There's lore behind the game. The game isn't just shooting pew pews. People invest a lot of hours into studying the lore of the game

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    Get out. Get the fuck out with your SJW agenda.
    This.
    /10 chars

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    And let's keep it that way!

It will cause more problems that it will solve: Just look, how Blizzard catered to Muslim players and added Synthebrew Goggles, so they didn't have to drink virtual alcohol, in order to complete certain quests during Brewfest..

Of you're gay and play WoW, fine.... But you don't need to stand on a mountain top and scream it to the world..
    You're right, but when so many people are openly homosexual nowadays, it's very suspicious that blizzard doesn't try to have a few characters in game to represent them

Deleted
    all blood elf males are gay

Unless it's important for the development of a particular character, the player's interaction with them or world building I don't see why it would have to be explicit enough for people to notice. WoW's story is pretty shallow in general, it doesn't need to show you the gay club of Stormwind to give greater depth to human society in Azeroth.

I'm not a big fan of diversity for the sake of diversity, it's an empty gesture. I do like seeing LGBT characters in games, so long as it has some sort of relevance. Untill Anduin and Wrathion start sucking face i'm perfectly fine just assuming they have the hots for each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    just because the voices in your head tell you things, doesn't mean the world gives a crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    Isn't it great how this thread has dematerialized from the unfair corruption of Ner'zuhl, to whether Kil'Jaeden is a draenei or an Eredar, then to Alien Genetics and now to demon sex...

Quote Originally Posted by urieliszcze View Post
    This.
    /10 chars
    I do not support SJW ideology. I'm just very curious as to why Blizzard doesn't support it in World of Warcraft when the norm is to accept it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    They already do.
    Which characters are you talking about?

Deleted
    You're right, but when so many people are openly homosexual nowadays, it's very suspicious that blizzard doesn't try to have a few characters in game to represent them
    why should they? It's their game they can do what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Saybel View Post
    Just because minorities want to be represented does not mean that positive discrimination is not discrimination. The two things aren't even remotely linked.
    What is "positive discrimination"?

Come on now, this is not serious. What you're saying is not true. Let's start a list proving that you're wrong.

• There was an LGBT story introduced with Legion in the most ordinary way possible (two night elves females during an Enchanting quest).
    • Madame Goya, the mistress of the Black Market is married to another pandaren woman.

There were other hints before that, that strongly implied some characters were LGBT:

• Skyguard Khatie asking you on a date regardless of your gender.
    • Sentinel Sweetspring looking constantly at another sentinel and apparently getting denied.
    • Hearthsinger Forresten who was a performer when Stratholme was still a human city and loots items that are references to gay culture and musical culture.
    • Asric and Jadaar, bickering at each other in a way that could be easily interpretated as more than just banter.
    • That Steamy Novel ending up in a threesome between Marcus and those two taurens (one male, one female).

I'm probably missing a few of them, but it goes on, sometimes it's just hints, sometimes it's more explicit. So, as you can see, the argument that says there are absolutely no LGBT character in World of Warcraft is simply not true.

If we go on a larger scale and look at the other Blizzard universes, Overwatch is another good example: Tracer, one of the MAIN characters of the game is gay (or at least bisexual) as explained in a comics introducing her girlfriend Emily.

Now let me get things straight (pun absolutely not intended ), I enjoy when things are done in the most natural way, and that's Blizzard has done so far. They introduce it in game, if it feels it should be there at that moment and its relevant (typically what happened with that Enchanting storyline). Why should Blizzard forces LGBT characters in the storyline, if it doesn't even fit the character? I'm gonna take Anduin's example. I've always thought Anduin was gay and that Wrathion was more than a friend, but that's my opinion of it, and only mine. If Blizzard ends up marrying Anduin to a woman, I'll accept his character just the way he is, and I won't complain about a missed opportunity or whatever. If it wasn't done, it's because it's not how it was meant to be done.

Now on my side, I'll keep enjoying those "smaller" LGBT characters Blizzard gives us, and I will enjoy a strong important LGBT character, if the fact he/she is LGBT is irrelevant to the story. I don't care if Jaina Proudmoore is going after undead paladins or turquoise dragons, she's still Jaina Proudmoore.

Before some people start bashing me for "pushing back eventual LGBT characters to the closet", know that I'm not, and that my whole point is about how it should be done and not forced if it's irrelevant to the story.

PS: Oh and for the few enraged people that might come to this thread, it's useless to try to call me a homophobic person, as I'm actually gay myself, out of the closet and an occasional activist for LGBT rights equality. Now, sashay away.

Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    why should they? It's their game they can do what they want.
    That's not how things work, that argument is pathetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not true. WoW is not sexual, but it's very streamlined around heterosexuality. Arthas and Jaina's relationship. Thrall and his family.
    And how many other characters are there where their sexual orientation is never specifically stated? There are a few relationships in the game, they happen to have been straight relationships. What's the big deal?
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!