Splitting Ice (Am I missing something) ?

So simming my mage and swapping out items and such and noticed im simming about 6k higher with splitting ice vs FT on single target I was under the impression FT was the go to for single target anyone having similar results here is my mage.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...zad/a%c3%aarin

With good gear, FT is a bit ahead, but it is never the go to pick, because just a few cleaves from Splitting Ice will make it overtake FT.

Deleted
    I was the under the impression it was very tight on ST but with the nerf to TV it's value had gone down. Splitting ice all the way, even ST.

The correct answer is ... it depends. That's why we say to sim yourself to be sure.

As for why SI sims higher than FT, there are a variety of reason why. Legendary Bracers, 4pT20, LW, your relics .... all that serve to push the scaling of IL, hence increasing the value of the 5% provided by SI. Note that FT is always a flat ~4.6% chance, while SI increase the more multiplier you get on your IL.

i would never take off splitting ice, even for st.

At its current state SI is better than FT in pretty much every situation

Quote Originally Posted by Ilara View Post
    At its current state SI is better than FT in pretty much every situation

Unless on DI in ToS when you have retarded tanks that move Atrigan in cleave range during bonesaw.

10+ Year Old Account
    Regarding Demonic Inquisition, I tried a few tips from another recent thread and found I can control my SI cleave very reliably, even when both bosses are within normal "cleave" range. Because of that, I don't switch to FT at all anymore, even on that fight.

Basically, SI only cleaves within a ~180° cone, so stay around 20y away and face away from the boss you don't want to hit. Face both when you want to cleave. The only downside I've experienced with that strat is you can sometimes get run over by Atrigan while he's being kited, so just pay attention to that and you're fine. (Note: Non-mythic)
    Last edited by Ambereldus; 2017-07-10 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrowAwayForAReason View Post
    Unless on DI in ToS when you have retarded tanks that move Atrigan in cleave range during bonesaw.
    its better even still. you just turn your character/camera so you cant see atrigan but can still see belag and it wont cleave to it. at least on mythic, you need splitting ice on that fight for the adds.

Quote Originally Posted by kheath812 View Post
    its better even still. you just turn your character/camera so you cant see atrigan but can still see belag and it wont cleave to it. at least on mythic, you need splitting ice on that fight for the adds.
    It's a somewhat popular strat to let the bonesaw go behind the caster boss, which means you can't use splitting or you have to not ice lance for ~10 seconds on each bonesaw.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    It's a somewhat popular strat to let the bonesaw go behind the caster boss, which means you can't use splitting or you have to not ice lance for ~10 seconds on each bonesaw.
    adjust your strat ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ just run him along the left wall. dont gimp your raid's dps for no reason

Quote Originally Posted by kheath812 View Post
    adjust your strat ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ just run him along the left wall. dont gimp your raid's dps for no reason
    Say that to the ones doing that strat. Then again it's arguable if it's gimping raid dps, if you have less than 2 Mages.

Then tell your tanks not to, problem solved. Also if it happens once or twice during the fight just save your procs. It sucks but it's not a gamebreaking issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilara View Post
    Then tell your tanks not to, problem solved. Also if it happens once or twice during the fight just save your procs. It sucks but it's not a gamebreaking issue.
    If you have 5 icicles, you can hold Ice Lance all you want.. But each Frostbolt is going to generate icicles and those icicles are going to fly off and split onto the boss and anything in close range.

If you have 5 icicles, you can hold Ice Lance all you want.. But each Frostbolt is going to generate icicles and those icicles are going to fly off and split onto the boss and anything in close range.
    which is why that strat is stupid and you shouldnt run atrig behind belag.

Turn your character, problem solved. Cleaving with IL is as much on you as it is anybody else.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Sure tanks can do your job for you, but honestly you are responsible for your cleaving. I sucked the first pull, after I just positioned myself and since I've never had to really go in anymore. Only when I fuck up and send an orb into the channeling boss :x

I'm actually curious if FT will turn out stronger again with the 4 set. Going to sim that soon.

'Popular' for who? That messes up several classes, including Warriors and Shadow Priests, and even interrupting Belac.

Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    'Popular' for who? That messes up several classes, including Warriors and Shadow Priests, and even interrupting Belac.
    I've seen it in PUGs, some guilds tend to use it.. etc etc. It's not THE strat for it, but some are doing it for whatever reason. I certainly don't know why.

Deleted
    I've seen it in PUGs, some guilds tend to use it.. etc etc. It's not THE strat for it, but some are doing it for whatever reason. I certainly don't know why.
    Method did it in their mythic kill video, that's probably why...