Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    If both of you could step outside of political ideology and parroting, you might realize that what you're saying is completely nonsensical. No one "vilifies wealth".

What is vilified is how that wealth is used, or how it's gained, by certain individuals and the frequent lack of repercussions for those people even as "average joes" are harmed by the actions and then foot the bill for fixing them on top of it. People vilify the "Stacking of the deck" that certain wealthy people engage in that has essentially killed social mobility in many western nations. People vilify the heartless at best and malicious at worst practices of "corporations" which are run by wealthy humans who never seem to pay the piper for what the activities the corporations engage in.

Claiming that people "hate the wealthy" is as ridiculous, misses the point, and attempts to simplify the topic for the sake of allowing certain parties to play the victim. It's no different than any other criminal or otherwise unsavory individual attempting to blame some form of discrimination or bias when they're called out on their actions.
    I mean, you tell me not to "parrot", and then go do it yourself. You, in one response managed to "vilify" not only becoming wealthy, but corporations as well, i must commend you! Are there people who gamed the system to become rich? yeah, im sure there are more than one, but that's also probably a minority of the rich. Most rich people i know work insane hours, and not only M-F. These people are grind all weekend, during their time with their families at home, staying excessive late at work, all to progress themselves. Am i willing to do that? no, absolutely not, i value my time with my gf, and my free time out of work. Will i ever be worth 100M? no probably not, but i do have a couple nice retirement accounts, and a few individual accounts, and i expect to be worth 7 figures one day.

The blanket statement about "corporations" also makes my sides hurt. I know most people who share your view also probably own apple products exclusively, which is the largest corporation in the world. Do you think these Mega cap corporations got to their status because they're nice to their competition? nope, but most corporations don't go out of their way to fuck people who buy their products or the people who work for them. Funny thing however, once corporations are able to get to that point we get these great products, that we know and love.

Are there shitty rich people? yeah, are there shitty corporations? yeah. How do you fight that? with your wallet, no one forces you to go support these companies. For the shitty rich people, i'm sure the demographic breakdown for how people act is the same in every rung of the social ladder is the same, someones net worth doesnt define who they are as a human being.

Deleted
    I don't know any rich people, so I can't say. The "richest" people I know aren't millionaires; they're just getting along relatively well. You know, the "wealthy aunt/uncle" type.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Extremely tight with their money. Won't pay for a printer cartridge etc.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    I very specifically write that I'm NOT vilifying becoming wealthy or corporations in general, you reply that the one thing you took from my post was that I was vilifying becoming wealthy and corporations in general.

There's just something wrong with some of you guys. It's like you don't even read what's posted, you just want to be adversarial so you'll imagine that your target said something else entirely.
    I very clearly read what you wrote, you may think you're not doing something, when in fact, that's exactly what you're doing. Just because someone thinks they're doing something int heir head, doesn't make it reality. I think there is something wrong with someone who unable to be subjective, or you simply just puked out that response without rereading it.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    If both of you could step outside of political ideology and parroting, you might realize that what you're saying is completely nonsensical. No one "vilifies wealth".

What is vilified is how that wealth is used, or how it's gained, by certain individuals and the frequent lack of repercussions for those people even as "average joes" are harmed by the actions and then foot the bill for fixing them on top of it. People vilify the "Stacking of the deck" that certain wealthy people engage in that has essentially killed social mobility in many western nations. People vilify the heartless at best and malicious at worst practices of "corporations" which are run by wealthy humans who never seem to pay the piper for what the activities the corporations engage in.

Claiming that people "hate the wealthy" is as ridiculous, misses the point, and attempts to simplify the topic for the sake of allowing certain parties to play the victim. It's no different than any other criminal or otherwise unsavory individual attempting to blame some form of discrimination or bias when they're called out on their actions.
    What would you call this? That clearly seems to generalize all "corporations" and the "wealthy humans who get away with everything". You are correct that my response to vilifying all wealth was wrong, after reviewing what you wrote, but the part about all corps still stands.

All the ones I know look very reasonable, but in reality care only about money, both Democrat and Republican are the same.

Generally speaking they have money.

Friendly, nice, but completely ignorant about the problems of poor people. Their problems for example are that the guy who installed the 9k sound system in the music room used the wrong shade of color for some of the cables. That's what makes them mad and engaged. That people in the same city do not even have enough money to pay for a warm meal every day is just not on their radar and they don't care.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The one I know who are 50+ are some of the nicest people I've met, two are rather well off building engineers who are more then willing to help fix up houses of poorer people who know for minimum cost. The ones under 50 tend to be more selfish and not the kind of people you would want to hang out with but are not bad people.

I know only one and he's nice. I don't know how rich he is exactly but it should easily be many millions.

Dude's self-made and has been working all his life. Now that he's older he's discovering little pleasures like having a drink with friends and stuff like that. He also likes buying nice stuff to decorate his house but, as he's only been working, he doesn't really have any particular taste so he's not too sure about what's nice and what's not.

Overall, I like him.

I know a few.. some are family members and some are friends of family.

Most are workaholic.. I've always wondered if rich people have a mental illness or hang up about money.
    It's about 50/50 on the spending.. some rich people I know are money hoarders and others like living the high life..
    Most are arrogant and snooty. They love telling you how great their life is.
    all of them spoil their kids to holyshit and then complain that their kids are ungrateful.
    lastly, they have this belief that all poor people are lazy money moochers and shouldn't have the right to food or healthcare.. oh and if they do get food that it should be dog food because thats all they deserve.....

the rich people i know.....

I know two millionaires. One is my boss. He's a stereotypical rich guy, drives fast cars, his wife is half plastic by now and his house(s) are huge. I do not like him very much on a personal level, but he's my boss and he's a good one at that.

The other one is my aunts husband. He's down to earth and doesn't really talk much about his wealth. His children are really well behaving and generally speaking he's a good guy to hang out with. Just from meeting him once you wouldn't say he has any money whatsoever, he doesn't care about materialistic things that much. His wife/my aunt on the other hand.... lol

If I had to pick one word, it would be incompetent, and I deal with a LOT of them in my line of work. Maybe that's a little unfair, so I will break it down better:

Old money: Incompetent
    New Money: Arrogant

People who come from wealthy families who I have to deal with are very high in their fields, and I'm not kidding when I say I've never meant one who was even marginally competent at his job. Luckily for them, they work in a field where competence is just not needed (being an executive). The executives I work with who are new money are a whole different ballgame. They are competent, but just generally arrogant due to their success. You can tell why their kids turn out incompetent.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    I have seen them all accross the board. From nice people to arrogant douche bags.

Stood in the Fire KrotosTheTank's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Ehh. I suppose. Though I've met Many more cunts that a "low" income than I have "high" income. But that may be purely because of Ratio differences.
    Couple thoughts on that. One, as you mentioned, you probably know more of them, its just math, there *are* more of them, lol. But also, generally speaking, it's tough to make a lot of money without having loads of interactions with other people. There are of course plenty of exceptions, but i think being an asshole is much more of a liability than an asset when it comes to building a solid income. (im not referring to morally reprehensible people, those are the exceptions anyways and a smaller minority than people think)

10+ Year Old Account
    You really don't want to know how some doctors refer to their patients and how they generally act behind closed doors. On the other hand there are others who could live their lives in luxury yet genuinely push themselves to advance medicine and care for their patients.

I've met several people in the entertainment industry who were nice but there is definitely a a huge emphasis on putting on airs and socializing that came off as not being genuine.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    My best friend is married to a girl with rich parents.

- They tend to hang out with other rich people. (same interests)
    - They are very good at networking
    - They work very hard. 70-80h a week.
    - Family comes first. Always.
    - They are very friendly and thougtful. Although i do question the geniuity at times.
    So they work 70-80 hours a wek AND put family first. Seems legit.

A friend of mine and her husband are quite well off, I'm not sure how much but enough to pay for a destination wedding in Hawaii for their son and give him the down payment for a $500k house. Unfortunately, said son and his wife (also from rich parents) are two of the most horrible people I know. They've never had to work for anything and as a result they are not grateful or appreciative of what they have. They also don't know how to budget, have expensive tastes, and use their parents to supplement being incapable of living within their means.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    I have heard stories of rich parents sending their daughters to summer camps that promote motherhood.
    Uhh...what? I have never heard of that.

Rich people are like everyone else. Some throw their money around, others are very frugal. Some are liberal and some are conservative.

My ex boyfriend's family came from very old wealth. Owned a string of commercial banks, before that was a family background in the steel industry. Republican, country club, drove American cars, believed in trickle-down economics. Ex was the typical trust fund kid. Kindof entitled, not a hard worker...I found it annoying that he hung out playing golf, smoking weed and watching TV all day. Having money handed to you is not a recipe for a rewarding life.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Rich people usually stick to their kind, don't they?
    Depends on their wealth and locations. Here in Utah, wealthy folk stick to the mountainous ranges, getting the views.

But to the topic:
    In my experience, the rich people can be a number of things. I've met pleasant people, and assholes alike. But if there's one thing that can be true, they tend to be leaders. Not always kind in their leadership, but the wealthy love to take the lead.