Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down Plus-Size Jewelry Is Now Available Thanks to Universal Standard

Universal Standard, the direct-to-consumer brand for sizes 10 to 28 that launched back in 2015, is expanding into a category that still goes mostly underserved: plus-size jewelry.

The label released a limited-edition accessories collection for extended sizes. The affordable pieces (prices cap at $70) include a necklace, choker, bracelet, earrings, and rings, all designed to not only fit comfortably, but also look good on a larger body, specifically.

"I know from personal experience that finding beautiful modern pieces of jewelry that fit and look native to my body type is nearly impossible," Alexandra Waldman, Universal Standard's co-founder and CCO, tells Glamour over e-mail. "Even longer necklaces don’t fall in the right spot on the front of the body—everything tends to look clipped, cheap, or semi-disposable," she adds. "I’m a grown woman—I don’t want to wear an adjustable rings that I have to squeeze together around my finger."

The jewelry in this capsule has a distinctly minimalist aesthetic: They're mostly platinum, with little embellishment or add-ons, and are fashioned into clean silhouettes. The goal was to provide "luxury-looking pieces that would fit beautifully with Universal Standard clothing and with your pre-existing wardrobe," says Waldman. "They are uncomplicated, but full of subtle drama, if that’s not too much of a contradiction."

Though this launch didn't stem directly from a demand in the brand's existing fan base ("we don’t really wait to be asked for things by our customers," the co-founder notes), Universal Standard has a more intuitive approach to introducing new categories, thanks to a personal understanding of what they think is lacking in the market. "We set out to make beautiful, affordable pieces for women who have gone without them for far too long," Waldman explains. "We don’t try to be everything to everyone—that’s not possible. We stay true to our aesthetic and quality principles. That’s really how this capsule came about… We thought these kinds of pieces needed to be available."

Universal Standard's apparel ranges from $50 for a T-shirt to $280 for a gown. The goal with their pricing is to raise the quality customers can expect from plus-size clothing with its direct-to-consumer model while still keeping the pieces accessible
    —and that approach extended to its jewelry capsule, too, as well as any future ventures. "We plan to expand Universal Standard across many categories," Waldman teases.
    "Jewelry is just the beginning. We want women above size 10 to feel like they have options, like things are getting better all the time. That's our reason for being."
    https://www.glamour.com/story/univer...s-size-jewelry

With this, another incentive to lose weight is removed. The reality is, we should be trying our best to encourage weight loss.
    Also, 50$ for a T shirt? No wonder people are in debt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

With this, another incentive to lose weight is removed. The reality is, we should be trying our best to encourage weight loss.
    We should spend less time concerning ourselves with a meaningless metric like weight loss and concern ourselves with getting people to exercise more.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

15+ Year Old Account
    https://www.amazon.com/Butterfly-Hai.../dp/B009OMCZSK

Hello I'm the only good accessory. inb4 ring/necklace shitters.

10+ Year Old Account
    So? I have a big ass head and it's a struggle to find hats that fit me or glasses that don't look hilariously small on my face.

To be fair could be a remnant of when I was obese but either way who gives a shit.. the incentive to lose weight is you look better and feel better not that you can wear smaller jewelry

The affects me 0% as well as you, stop giving a shit about fat people problems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Tenn.... Tenn, oh Tenn. If you weren't there, I wouldn't know whom I should concentrate all my hate on. What a nice thing that there is a big fucking ocean between us, because it's times like these where I feel like I'd actually travel a few good miles just to punch you in the face a couple of times and drive home with the biggest grin on my face since I first kissed my girlfriend.
    Im pretty sure hes doing it on purpose.. hes secretly an alt right activist, trying to trigger peeps into hating the lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    So? I have a big ass head and it's a struggle to find hats that fit me or glasses that don't look hilariously small on my face.

To be fair could be a remnant of when I was obese but either way who gives a shit.. the incentive to lose weight is you look better and feel better not that you can wear smaller jewelry
    We should just stop making XL+ shirts, any pants over 36w, and no large belts, then laugh at all those who wear things that don't fit, that will show them fat people that they need to lose weight! What a world Tennisace lives in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    We should just stop making XL+ shirts, any pants over 36w, and no large belts, then laugh at all those who wear things that don't fit, that will show them fat people that they need to lose weight! What a world Tennisace lives in.
    As far as I remember from seeing what he looks like he's very skinny so his.. bias on this topic is pretty apparent. It's not even just the obese that wear stuff like that. Muscular people or just people that have thick frames.

Tall people.. etc

10+ Year Old Account

I have the opposite problem. I have a tiny head, and have to wear children's sized hats or sun glasses.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I have the opposite problem. I have a tiny head, and have to wear children's sized hats or sun glasses.
    Curse genetics. At least it's proportional to the rest of my body

As far as I remember from seeing what he looks like he's very skinny so his.. bias on this topic is pretty apparent. It's not even just the obese that wear stuff like that. Muscular people or just people that have thick frames.

Tall people.. etc
    Tennisace posted a picture?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Tennisace posted a picture?
    I want to say yes in that one thread where people post pictures of themselves but I could be thinking of a different poster who was equally... tennisace-y

If not well he's either a twig or a self hating fat person.

Businesses don't care about your hate for fat people Tennisbait, if they see a market that they can exploit they will.

Promoting healthy lifestyles and being fit =/= we should shame people and restrict their lives because we don't like how they look when they're overweight.

But, Tennisace gon' fret over "them fat ones", almost like he himself had some sort of complex...

Deleted
    Whaha. And here i thought only Lucky Luke pulled the trigger faster than his shadow.
    Another quality derailthread tennisbait.

This is a downright silly line of reasoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

i can say even when i was fat i didn't wan't anything sized up for me. i would rather just lose the weight so i could fit into things. being fat is very unhealthy and we should be more focused on exercising or at least eating right instead of making things easier for fat people.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    How fat do you need to be to wear plus size rings?
    Not very. The rings especially could be useful to anyone doing weightlifting or other grip heavy job that gives you "man-hands" or big hands in general.

Most times that jewelry would be custom made, but I can see a desire for something done by a designer and meant to function as part of a collection as well. Matching ring to necklace and earrings, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    It's tennisball. When you see it's threads they're gonna be a few things.

1. Canada is great
    2. Immigration post
    3. No fatties allowed posts (disguised as concern like this thread)
    4. Pro-marriage thread.
    5. Women are defenseless animals or butch.

10+ Year Old Account

Think about it. A new car model just released. The incentive is that it has the latest technology. However, do car manufacturers stop there? Nope. They include more incentives such as cash back rebates, extra addons, increased warranty etc/

Know why mate? Because more incentives means there's a higher chance of purchase. It's the same thing with combating the obesity epidemic.