Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Because you claim to live there and aren't spouting the left wing talking points. So they think you are lying.
    It isn't a fun area to not be part of The Hive, that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    They may get to vote on it, but they are also in the extreme minority in that vote which makes it very unfairly biased. If the people who would be taxed were the ONLY ones able to vote on it, then it would make it fair. You get where not having a chance in hell of your vote actually counting on a tax that will affect a very small minority that you are part of is tantamount to taxation without representation, don't you?
    Oh yes poor rich people they only have lobbying firms, super pacs and millions of dollars of donations to influence policy how will they cope

I agree with the objective of this tax, but they're just going to cause the rich people to leave. It's up to the feds to lead the way in taxing the rich. On the other hand, if you're rich and live in Seattle you're probably all for this.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    So getting to vote but being in a smaller sect means you aren't being represented at all?
    Say you are rich. You are at an event with a few hundred other people. They all decide that you have to pay for their food and drinks and have a vote that you are even included in. Do you think you would pay when you worked to earn your money just like they did, you were just more prosperous than they. Would that be fair? NO it wouldn't be. Even though they had you vote to, you were not proportionally represented. That would be theft since they did not earn the money, but are forcing you to pay when they make money as well but want yours instead of theirs. Everyone should be taxed equally not just tax some and not others.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/...t-wealthy.html

Well, with the new tax on diet drinks intended to "fight white privilege" and now a tax proposal meant to punish those mean old rich people, I wouldn't want to be a rich white man in Seattle.

Additionally, this tax increase seems to be a bad idea, given that the state has repeatedly shot down graduated income tax proposals.
    I am so tired of the nanny state and the gov't increasing taxes on people (anyone really) to cover up for their ineptitude.

I can't even believe they are putting a tax on soda to "fight white privledge." (or was that a joke I missed?) That is so laughable and so obvious a scam that I don't even think my pet turtle would fall for it and i don't even have a pet turtle.

Rich people have mobility though, they will probably just take up and leave.

Then who will pay for everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    My understanding is that an income tax is unconstitutional in Washington - will this even stand up, or will Seattle just be wasting money in a legal battle? That would be fairly ironic =/
    True. The council just passed it, but it will in all likelihood be shot down in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima22689 View Post
    I agree with the objective of this tax, but they're just going to cause the rich people to leave. It's up to the feds to lead the way in taxing the rich. On the other hand, if you're rich and live in Seattle you're probably all for this.
    Like this guy.

Taxing the rich is a piss poor strategy.

Taxing the rich 2.25% is piss tho. Should pass and the richer will barely even notice.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a child in school, why do I pay $1500 in school tax every year though?
    @Flatspriest
    Last edited by bladeXcrasher; 2017-07-12 at 10:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I imagine that reality will show that people affected by this will weigh up the pros and cons of remaining in that state and make their move from there.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Well I guess we can see how it goes in court with the inevitable lawsuit, which is what the mayor is hoping for anyway..

It's my understanding that the Washington Supreme Court has ruled that it is illegal to apply a non uniform tax on property, and income is considered property.

So it will go one of two ways. The current law is upheld and they have to remove the 2.25% tax (or in a more likely event, apply the 2.25% tax on everyone), or the current law gets overturned. I dunno how likely either one is since I don't live in Washington and have no idea what the people in their court system are likely to do.

I don't have a child in school, why do I pay $1500 in school tax every year though?
    There's a lot of roads I never use, why am I getting taxed for their upkeep?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no problem seeing my tax money towards schools and I don't have any kids. Living in a country less full of stupid people is something I consider to be a service worth paying for.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

If it's not federal it's going to be pretty hard to enforce, aside from that good on them.

Income tax is a penalty for work. And its even greater penalty when its progressive, so when u work 2x harder than anyone You pay 4x more. It is highly immoral to slam ppl for working.

There are plenty of other taxes that are less immoral, for instance a proprety tax is less immoral because moeny from this tax should go to army and police that protects it and there are plenty of other possible taxes that are less invasive in the economy and less immoral. Income tax is always bad, because it penalizes work.

It's funny seeing the replies from all these members of the servant class, aka republicans. Talking about how the rich will suffer, sky will fall and all these phony doomsday predictions.

Seattle will be more than fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    In a representative republic, a vote conveys exactly that: morality and justice. If the wealthy disagree, they can leave and take their lack of concern for their fellow man with them.

But if they leave, then what you may say? I'll tell you what: quintuple the federal income tax for those in the top 20% of of earners nationwide. And if they choose to leave the US and give up their citizenship, require those who do so to surrender 50% of their net worth to the US Treasury or face federal prison.
    Here here! Throw the fuckers in jail if they leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I agree, comrad. Tax those nasty rich people to hell!
    I own a house.

Well, really, the bank owns most of the house. But I get the privilege of paying the property tax on the house.

I calculated once that I pay roughly 5% of my net wealth (assets minus liabilities) as property tax each year. Over a ten year period, that comes to about 50% of my net wealth.

The estate tax takes something like 40% (after a LOT of deductions...) once a lifetime.

So every ten or so years, I pay more "wealth tax" (percentage) than the wealthy do in fifty years.

Cry me a river, the poor, abused wealthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    You misunderstand. My apologies for not being clearer. I meant that the percentage of the tax burden on the top 20% of earners should quintuple, not the absolute amount.

Or,

I would very much endorse a return to the tax rates that were imposed on the top earners in the 1950s (91% on incomes, 25% on capital gains, and 52% on corporations). But, I would go farther: 50% on capital gains, and keep the other 2 values from that time.

The accumulation of more of society's resources into fewer and fewer hands bodes ill for a peaceful society.
    So you confess to being like a thief I see. But you are actually much worse than that. A thief knows that what he is doing is wrong and that he will be punished by the state if caught. You want to steal much more money than a thief ever could and what's worse, you want to have the state doing the stealing for you (and no, dont even try to claim that 91 % tax is not a theft, it is).
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    There's a lot of roads I never use, why am I getting taxed for their upkeep?
    So you agree with me, thank you. (read exchanges on previous pages with flatspriest, you'll understand). @Klingers
    Last edited by bladeXcrasher; 2017-07-12 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Taxing the rich is a piss poor strategy.

Taxing the rich 2.25% is piss tho. Should pass and the richer will barely even notice.
    you knwo why poor people are poor ? because they dont respect money - comments like "2,25 % of income is nothing' is best proof - no its stil l2,25 % of income lost that could be invested into something - same like people spend money on cigarets and booze and then complain "god i make so little" yet spend monthly 10-20 % of income on usless stuff

thats why people are poor - they dont respect money