Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Oh joy, a speed run. Just like the Challenge mode tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Class, spec, legendary and tier sets massively influence mythic+. Not to mention which garbage bonus is currently active. Forming a competitive event around that is like inviting a 2m guy and a midget to duke it out in a broad jumping competition.
    Pretty sure you mean "like inviting a 2m guy and a 2.05m guy to duke it out in a broad jumping competition", unless you think some freshly dinged 110 in quest greens is likely to quality for this Invitational.

And if you've ever watched the Olympics, you may have noticed that different athletes are not all perfect physical clones of each other.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    they wont so we will most probably be looking at people doin exackly same BiS comps doin exackly same pulls and only difference will be between somebody fucking up and not fucking up

this will be a boooring shit show :/
    Yes exactly the same BiS comps that we see on live realms' top mythic+ leaderboards.

This looks really exciting! What a shame I hate mythic+ dungeons with every fibre of my being.

Does this thing have a market? Are people interested in M+ rush?

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    How is hosting a competitive tournament with predictable teams for PvE going to improve the game? Whut.
    Bravo.

Wow ain't dead but pvp surely is.

How long till we get Pokemo...Pet Battle Invitationals?

Quote Originally Posted by morph4037 View Post
    How long till we get Pokemo...Pet Battle Invitationals?
    Despite being a pvper, I have to say that prob even this one will get more views than arena tournament, lmao

I'm assuming this is using previous proving grounds ilvl balancing?
    Otherwise not much point for the tournament.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    Does this thing have a market? Are people interested in M+ rush?
    That was my question as well. Who fucking wanted or asked for this? The only answer i can think of is.blizzard is just desperate to push esports on wow. Fuck esports.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Current state of Mythic renders this competition useless or boring at best.

Mythic's only criteria is "go fast lel", so everybody will do the same shit. Skipping unneeded trash, pack everything they can (depending on the affix), and rush like dumbasses.

Mythic mode would've been interesting with other challenges that would've rendered some specs useful. For example one chest for the time, one chest for no dead, one chest for number of interrupts or whatever.

Rush competitions will never be interesting, because you'll have to skip 80% of WoW skills and specs to focus on rush-comps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Current state of Mythic renders this competition useless or boring at best.

Mythic's only criteria is "go fast lel", so everybody will do the same shit. Skipping unneeded trash, pack everything they can (depending on the affix), and rush like dumbasses.

Mythic mode would've been interesting with other challenges that would've rendered some specs useful. For example one chest for the time, one chest for no dead, one chest for number of interrupts or whatever.

Rush competitions will never be interesting, because you'll have to skip 80% of WoW skills and specs to focus on rush-comps.
    Yeah the "no deaths=chest" is like....why is it not in the game?!

Deleted
    Not even a bit interesting. I hate rushing with timers.

So that is why they shoved these 5 mans down our throats

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    How is hosting a competitive tournament with predictable teams for PvE going to improve the game? Whut.
    How is fixing PVP going to improve the game, same question different viewpoint.

PVP players don't give 2 poops about the PVE tournaments
    PVE players don't give 2 poops about the PVP tournaments

Can't please em all.

Luckily there isn't just one team, and multiple teams can work on multiple things.

Deleted
    Well, if it's really a tournament, you can forget the current leaderboards. This is just people banding together to push a few keys. If it is a competition, you will basically only see:
    - Heal Druid
    - Mage
    - Hunter
    - Demon Hunter
    - Warrior

Maybe the occasional DK or Ele Shaman in there, but definitely all of them burst classes with mass AOE.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    That no one makes you do? I hate pvp and don't do it, but there's people out there who only do pvp and enjoy it, just like there's people who only do M+. What you consider "garbage content" offers many other people enjoyment.
    "Dont make you do". It offers a 930 piece of gear every single week. Only a moron would pass up on that.

Deleted
    So much salt from ppl here... and thats a pve thing so pvpers suck it and go to ur thread.
    I believe this is a great approach!! For all of us that love pve! M+ is challenging and it is practically player vs player in the sense that u get to see how each grp approaches this simultsneously ( since 2 teams will compete at same time), so yeah! Sounds interesting!

Deleted
    This is a great idea. Bad thing that affixes will unbalance the competition.

Deleted
    Cool stuff, very cool indeed.

1. But how do you make it fair if you don't enfore the same gear levels?

It is fair, because everyone is facing the same challenge (including affixes). Think of it in terms of the olympics (pve), not in terms of the football world cup (pvp). The 100m dash isn't made shorter for you just because you have shorter legs than your competitor, but to limite the impact of the largest differences (age) you have different classes in all competitive team games (U21 etc.). Now you could say that fairness should also include fair training conditions, but that's unrealistic. For example, would you exclude unemployed players from the tournament because the have an unfair advantage in terms of their available preparation time? I don't think so.

2. But I don't do mythic raiding, so mythic raiders have an advantage with their set gear.

That's a more interesting argument. It's like saying that a Formula-1 champion with lots of money has an advantage over a Rallye driver because he can afford a better Rallye car. That only matters if both are equally skilled at Rallye driving, which is highly questionable. Anyone who's serious about their M+ game would support that you can't rely on Mythic raiders to push high keys just because they have the gear. Top 10 M+ runs involve memorizing every burst phase, interrupt, position, and, most importantly, the new mitigation strategies that become crucial at keystone levels most people will never see. That's a skillset most Mythic raiders think they have, but they don't. Hybris, however, is widespread.

Nevertheless, it would make a lot of sense to simply disable all tier set bonuses from raid gear for the purpose of this race to take away this imbalance entirely, as was said before. That Mythic gear starts at a higher ilvl becomes irrelevant if you chain-run M+ dungeons. The amount of drops combined with the chance to TF high easily outweighs the ilvl gap, but the set bonuses would still make a difference.

3. But only FOTM comps will be able to compete.

This is irrelevant for the players that this tournament is aimed at. The Top 10 players in any region have multiple alts. Remember, this is meant to identify the best in the world, and best means "the people who are able to meet the requirements of the challenge in the best possible way".

Summary

To be honest, I think we should take this event very seriously as a community for a bunch of reasons.

Since it's the first of its kind, there's a lot to learn from it. If it gets enough attention there's a chance that it will become a seasonal thing, which would be really good for the competitive scene. I'll never understand how you can be against something that makes someone else better if it doesn't make yourself worse off.

Furthermore, if we start to see FOTM comps as well as identical strats this might induce balancing tweaks around specs, but also around the instances, which is good for everyone. Anything in the game can be changed and a competition like this would help to identify problems that need fixing.

You could also iteratively tweak it and make it more interesting, because it's essentially one large speedrun competition (hi AGDQ). One idea could be to turn it into a charity marathon as well, there's no shame in copying a good thing. Have a certain percentage of the donations go to the runners (which could lead to some quite substantial incentives), a certain percentage go to the organizers (Blizzard, because they could leverage this quickly), and the rest of it to something people feel good donating for. Make the runs interesting by interviewing players who explain what the different classes are doing (imagine someone talking about the extended Firestarter Mage opener while the guy is doing it, or giving tips what to pull and why), so that the viewers would learn something.

I'll definitely follow this if only to learn new strats about the different dungeons. It's a cool thing and should be supported.