Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I'm in total agreement with Blizz on this.

Do, it like you do in every other forum and report the trolls.

Obviously this is over people abusing systems. It's always like that. If they can abuse, they will.

10+ Year Old Account
    now no meanies can huwt my feewings
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Fits into blizzard agenda that things are liked their way
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

i think they should keep downvoting, but only allow it to downvote until they have no upvotes.

that way, you could tell the majority's dislike over the minority's likes.

I think it's a good change. I kind of wish this forum had likes. Is that weird? Sometimes something will make me lol or be really well written, but a post response isn't really necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a good change, but upvotes should be scrapped as well. The voting system is just cancerous. Too many people are under the impression that up/downvotes are synonymous with arguments. Sometimes, the majority is wrong.

What's the point of still having the upvote botton without the downvote.

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    Not surprising. Youtube and Facebook did away with dislikes too for the very same reason.

In theory, the system was made so you could express agreement with things you like, or disagreement with things you dislike.

In practice, it lead to troll-downvoting someone just because you don't like them. Downvoting for the sake of downvoting. Downvoting out of jealousy. Out of spite. Out of hate. Out of any of the many forms of discrimination (Sexism, Racism, etc). Its just not a good system.

Having a system where you can only hit like, means someone saying something stupid will get few likes, and someone saying something good will get many likes.
    This, exactly.

In almost all cases, I saw downvotes based on disagreement, not an objectively low-quality post.

I personally love the notion of a community curating content to meet higher standards, but all too often that same community will devolve and instead use it to straight out silence honest disagreements. It's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i think they should keep downvoting, but only allow it to downvote until they have no upvotes.

that way, you could tell the majority's dislike over the minority's likes.
    But forums are places for discussion, not popularity contests, and that was what the official forums were devolving into.
    Glad they removed the downvote button, but I agree with others that the upvote button also needs to go. Pushing a button does not create discussion whether it points up or down, it only stifles it.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

While browsing the forums, the posts I normally viewed often down voted trolls and obvious bait posts. But I have also seen my share of "they disagree, down vote them to hell!" (This is most evident in the class forums where nerfs/buffs are asked for often.)

Of my personal experience with using it we had removed a guild member, for making sexist remarks and unwanted advances towards a female member in our guild, after being told to stop multiple times.

Within an hour, he began harassing our guild recruitment thread to incite drama and made false accusations about the guild. While a report would have likely taken a while to process and judge the posts being worthy of removal, instead the community defended our guild and down voted his posts. He eventually realized his poor behavior and removed his posts.

To add, this individual used their friends to try and Hide our recruitment posts with down votes. But the community kept us well beyond that possibility.

But for every positive experience of giving the community a tool to moderate itself, just as many times it will be used for abuse.

If what they say is true and that they have a larger and more on-the-ball moderation work force, then I welcome the change.
    Last edited by Sixnalia; 2017-07-12 at 03:31 AM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Utigarde View Post
    Personally, I think they should have just removed the entire upvote downvote system. Downvoting is stupid, but just leaving upvotes is equally stupid. Posts go from having clear "people don't like this" to "was this disliked, or just ignored?". If they were intent on just having positive or neutral posts, they could have left downvotes, but not let the vote counter go below zero. Accomplishes the same goal they seem to want now, without allowing things to only get positive feedback and no negative.
    While this is a good change, I totally agree the whole upvote/downvote system should have been removed entirely.. Because as it stands now it is upvotes only and well that will just give a feeling of a everybody wins a trophy type event which is even worse..

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    While this is a good change, I totally agree the whole upvote/downvote system should have been removed entirely.. Because as it stands now it is upvotes only and well that will just give a feeling of a everybody wins a trophy type event which is even worse..
    It's definitely not worse, it's a move in the right direction. Extra downvotes have the additional effect of graying out and burying the post while extra upvotes don't do anything.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by snackfeat View Post
    What's the point of still having the upvote botton without the downvote.
    Because it creates the illusion of positivity and approval.

It was fun while it lasted. You can't have the light without the dark, so they should get rid of Up vote, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good riddance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    now no meanies can huwt my feewings
    If a person gets their feelings hurt from disagreement, then it changes nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    The forums were a better place before they added it, so too shall it be again.

that hotfix was my bad Somarlane's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezark View Post
    Never should have had them in the first place it was nothing short of moronic.
    Agreed. I might actually start visiting the forums again.
    2021-09-21
    23:02 chelly: bobs and virginia

Down voting features on public forums are literally cancer. I could write a book on every reason why, much of which was pointed out in this thread, but the opposition seems to be immature enough to think it's only because people are afraid of their feelingz getting hurt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by G3istly View Post
    Woe is you? Downvoting only promotes "silencing" opposing opinions. Just look at reddit and how quickly posts that don't follow what's popular get downvoted into oblivion.
    but upvotes and downvotes tell me how i should think and form my opinions. now with just upvotes, il just have to agree with everyone. not coolio