Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Potential returning player, need advice.

Heyoo,

Basically, I got the game many moons ago when it was still in Beta. Did the whole pay for 6 months to get XYZ. However at the time I was still very much invested in WoW raiding and I didn't give the game the time it deserved beyond the beta.

I've popped on every now and then so I understand to an extent that the game is much different to what I remember.

I've read a few threads on this forum but I'm wondering if those currently playing/played recently think the game is worth coming back to.
    I'm no longer playing WoW and couldn't get myself back into Realm Reborn so I'm looking for something to fill the MMO shaped void in my game time.

I'm not expecting to see a lot of people leveling as I would be but seeing people about in the world would be a plus.

Honestly. It's free so giving it a bash won't cost you a dime but personally I can't recommend it. Game has taken such a far fall from grace in terms of quality imo. Game is still missing launch content among other things and is lacking in endgame. Also maybe at peak when the sharding tech is working properly. Most I've seen in a zone is 50-100 and that is only because of the shard/server hop tech.

As for levelling itself 60-70 is awful. It's a massive time sink. Not hard just grindy as hell. 65-70 is the worst because without the best XP pots the story conks out at 68 or low 69. 1-60 is probably the best experience ever if done through zones but well Intrepid Adventures is just way quicker.

As I said mate go try it. End of the day you aren't losing money but there are so many more F2P hell even B2P games I would recommend before this personally and if you want a list I can happily PM you them.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-07-10 at 03:03 PM.

If you're looking to make it a "main" game or play seriously, I'd say no, at least not at first. It's not in a great state right now : /

But if you're looking for a new game to casually explore, absolutely. There's plenty of content to get through since you last played (a few expansions worth : P) and much of it is pretty solid. Current expansion though...yeah, a bit more polarizing and rough than prior content. I'm still struggling to even find the motivation to level up my character, despite the first zone of SFP being super pretty (yay art team!).

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    If you're looking to make it a "main" game or play seriously, I'd say no, at least not at first. It's not in a great state right now : /

But if you're looking for a new game to casually explore, absolutely. There's plenty of content to get through since you last played (a few expansions worth : P) and much of it is pretty solid. Current expansion though...yeah, a bit more polarizing and rough than prior content. I'm still struggling to even find the motivation to level up my character, despite the first zone of SFP being super pretty (yay art team!).
    Edge probably said it better than me here.

Also as I said levelling is horrid. You wanna ding 70 through story then throw down some money. You can grind other methods such as the dailies but the XP is meh at best. And as for NT Experts they really don't give anything spectacular. Nor do the two Normal Dungeons for SFP.

i'd say avoid it, the game is "free" but trust me you will have to open your wallet plenty of times if you want to do the lasted concent and not be a carry.

the game has turned into an insane farm. heres an example, upgrading certain pieces of gear requires killing a boss in a raid like 10 times.

so by the time you can upgrade a piece to improve your char to help you clear the raid you willl have prob cleared the raid.

also the devs have retreated into their own butts and refuse to listen to anyone, everything they say and do is right no matter what and damn the paying customers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shimcham View Post
    upgrading certain pieces of gear requires killing a boss in a raid like 10 times.

so by the time you can upgrade a piece to improve your char to help you clear the raid you willl have prob cleared the raid.
    What? that's that's...insane !! to get the best gear and weapon in game you have to actually play the game and kill stuff? madness!! psst, you can chain run Tartaric Depths 10 times in a row if you want and get your weapon upgraded on the same day, final upgrade for your Eternal weapon will take 16 weeks as the Tier 1 raid has the usual weekly lockout but as it's the best weapon in the game and should last you for the entire Expansion it should need a bit of work.

Also Vostigar Peaks rep will buy you gear with in-game currency which is far better than LFR TD gear, has 300 hit and has only very slightly less stats than Tier 1 so there's already a catch up mechanic if a new level 70 doesn't want to run raids for gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    What? that's that's...insane !! to get the best gear and weapon in game you have to actually play the game and kill stuff? madness!! psst, you can chain run Tartaric Depths 10 times in a row if you want and get your weapon upgraded on the same day, final upgrade for your Eternal weapon will take 16 weeks as the Tier 1 raid has the usual weekly lockout but as it's the best weapon in the game and should last you for the entire Expansion it should need a bit of work.

Also Vostigar Peaks rep will buy you gear with in-game currency which is far better than LFR TD gear, has 300 hit and has only very slightly less stats than Tier 1 so there's already a catch up mechanic if a new level 70 doesn't want to run raids for gear.
    OP there are biased answers so read those and draw up your own conclusion from them to figure out if you want to play and then there's posts like what I quoted which is "Is this guy secretly a dev?" tier of bias like those product reviews that are always 10/10 or 0/10 and should be looked at with a heavy dose of salt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    OP there are biased answers so read those and draw up your own conclusion from them
    Please feel free to point out anything in my post that's biased or is misleading, do you or do you not have to actually play the game to upgrade the gear you get in game?

I personally wouldn't recommend it, in all honesty it is quite the shitshow compared to what it once was.

That being said I believe one should make their own informed decision and considering the game is f2p I think you'd benefit more from trying it out for yourself.

Sorry to derail (slightly), is it really possible to run TD 10 times in a day? I haven't tried LFR yet, but I'm expecting long queues as DPS, even considering learning how to tank to shorten queue times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajna View Post
    Heyoo,
    On a completely unrelated note, your avatar is from the game "Indivisible" by Lab Zero. This is excellent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thurizas View Post
    is it really possible to run TD 10 times in a day? I haven't tried LFR yet, but I'm expecting long queues as DPS
    Yep, you can run the LFR version of TD 24/7 if you like, you just need to leave the instance, reset it and go back in. Nobody uses the LFR tool, all raids are formed in 70 chat so you'll see stuff like 'LF5M TD need DPS, heals,' etc so don't bother with the queuing, just join a group from chat, there's always TD runs going.

Nobody uses the LFR tool
    That's not necessarily a ringing endorsement of the success of that feature...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's not necessarily a ringing endorsement of the success of that feature...
    Eh what? the answer is glaringly obvious why, i can form a group in 10 seconds with 'LF9M TD', the LFR tool insists you need 2x Tanks, 2x Healers, 5x DPS and 1x Support.

Nobody is going to hang around waiting for people to correctly click a role, you only need 2 Tanks for spider boss, i can solo heal the entire Raid and if we want a speed run, don't use a support so for people that are chain running TD to upgrade gear it's more time effecient to get a group in chat, instant Raid formed in less than a minute.

Eh what? the answer is glaringly obvious why, i can form a group in 10 seconds with 'LF9M TD', the LFR tool insists you need 2x Tanks, 2x Healers, 5x DPS and 1x Support.

Nobody is going to hang around waiting for people to correctly click a role, you only need 2 Tanks for spider boss, i can solo heal the entire Raid and if we want a speed run, don't use a support so for people that are chain running TD to upgrade gear it's more time effecient to get a group in chat, instant Raid formed in less than a minute.

Good job explaining the reasons why the feature is not a success. They should really either fix that or remove it. Leaving it in will just confuse new returning players who try to use it and then have no success, furthering the idea that the game is dying/dead.

Uhm the whole point of LFD/LFR tools is to allow you to not have to spam "LFM" and be able to queue and get in within a reasonable amount of time. I sat in a queue for 40 minutes as DPS one time.

Wonder why other games don't have that issue with their LFD/LFR tools eh? Might be because they actually work or they have enough players queuing for them.

You literally just explained why the LFR feature is not a success in Rift.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-07-12 at 05:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I sat in a queue for 40 minutes as DPS one time.
    So in this "40 mins in a queue" you didn't see a single person in chat forming a TD run, no one? right...

I already explained why it's faster and more efficient to form a raid in chat, maybe i need to do a power point presentation, can't explain it any simpler.

So in this "40 mins in a queue" you didn't see a single person in chat forming a TD run, no one? right...

I already explained why it's faster and more efficient to form a raid in chat, maybe i need to do a power point presentation, can't explain it any simpler.
    And you clearly don't understand what the point of a matchmaking system is. Why do other games not have this issue when I queue for LFD/LFR? Oh yeah right because there are actually people queuing.

Also saw like one person asking for TD. One. And they needed a Tank. But of course you are going to link me a chat log at reset now right and claim that chat is bustling?

The whole point of LFD/LFR systems is to avoid having to make a group and be able to just queue and get in. Been like that for years with matchmaking systems. Only 2 reasons it doesn't work in Rift.

1. Breaks when it feels like it.
    2. Nobody is queuing for it just like Queen's Foci.

Don't give me that "nobody is going to hang around" line because it's been proven in other games people will hang around and wait for a queue to pop with LFR/matchmaking systems.

Hell even Expert Dungeons take some time to pop as DPS and even Support sometimes. What that tells me is the population is low.

I see we are still going down this road of everything is fine within Rift. Yet you kind of just proved the matchmaking aspect isn't by saying nobody queues for a system that is supposed to be used for matchmaking.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-07-12 at 05:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me just highlight the important words as there seems to be a reading comprehension issue here. It's faster and more efficient to form your own Raid group, you have the option to ask for achievements so you can control who joins or you can take a chance and join the LFR Lottery with no idea if you'll get all new players or people that have never run the raid.

I'm currently logged onto NA sorting out my alts, not even 11am there and what's this? groups forming not alone for TD but for iRoTP, amazing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    2. Nobody is queuing for it just like Queen's Foci.
    Thanks for pointing out what i knew all along that you don't even play the game otherwise you'd know that once the outdoor boss is killed and the zone opens, everyone forms their raids inside by the portal.
    Last edited by Slipmat; 2017-07-12 at 05:52 PM.

Let me just highlight the important words as there seems to be a reading comprehension issue here. It's faster and more efficient to form your own Raid group, you have the option to ask for achievements so you can control who joins or you can take a chance and join the LFR Lottery with no idea if you'll get all new players or people that have never run the raid.

I'm currently logged onto NA sorting out my alts, not even 11am there and what's this? groups forming not alone for TD but for iRoTP, amazing.....

Let's see. 1 guy actually LFM and 3 people saying LFG. So impressive.... oh wait. That's pretty abysmal. What does Intrepid RotP have to do with this? That raid doesn't have an LFR. Try to stick to what we were talking about which was LFR and matchmaking tools.