Wait.. people ask for underrated, and I see:

Papers Please.
    Undertale.
    The Stanley Parable.
    The Banner Saga
    Hollow Knight
    Antichamber
    The Witness

Does under rated mean something else in different countries? Because these are all games that are quite known and in some cases rather overrated (banner saga and undertale for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Chillstream View Post
    I hope you are not serious with that pile of crap.

Look, I understand that there is a market for story-focused games, but Indigo Prophecy has HORRIBLE story.

Evoland 2 - An RPG adventure game where the graphic style and gameplay changes as you progress through its deep storyline based on time travel. Due to the constant gameplay changes the game doesn't feel repetitive or boring at any point. At one point the game is a streetfighter, at the other a RTS, the next one a shoot 'em up, and dozens more. For lore lovers: the game has been out for almost 2 years now, yet it still contains multiple unsolved mysteries regarding lore which are actively debated on the Evoland 2 forums. From time to time there's a breakthrough.

Iggy's Egg Adventure - A prehistoric platformer where you play as a baby dinosaur who must rescue his mother. He has to go through multiple types of worlds in order to finally rescue his mom. If you look at the game's structure, it looks quite similar to the Super Mario platformer games where Mario has to rescue the princess. The only difference here is that in this case it's about a dinosaur. Its beautiful graphics are also super modern for a platformer.

Poi - This game is literally Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker games combined into one. If you loved Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker, you're going to like this game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Wait.. people ask for underrated, and I see:

Papers Please.
    Undertale.
    The Stanley Parable.
    The Banner Saga
    Hollow Knight
    Antichamber
    The Witness

Does under rated mean something else in different countries? Because these are all games that are quite known and in some cases rather overrated (banner saga and undertale for me)
    I was more referring to nowadays. The games feel really underrated and not really noticed. As I said just my opinion. I'd probably take Undertale back actually.

Deleted
    i really don't think you know what the word 'underrated' means.

it's a game that was hardly noticed by anyone either by poor marketing or a flock of big releases at that period and got lost in the shadows, even if it had similiar or better quality to a 'big hyped up' game. calling stuff like undertale underrated, which is one of the biggest indie games that won a shitton of awards and has a cult following is like saying few people read the lord of the rings books.

Quote Originally Posted by desdelian View Post
    i really don't think you know what the word 'underrated' means.

it's a game that was hardly noticed by anyone either by poor marketing or a flock of big releases at that period and got lost in the shadows, even if it had similiar or better quality to a 'big hyped up' game. calling stuff like undertale underrated, which is one of the biggest indie games that won a shitton of awards and has a cult following is like saying few people read the lord of the rings books.
    Which is why I said I would take back Undertale. Forgot how popular it really was. And still is considering it's getting a console port.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Well, it's understandable. Most of them end up being one-offs, and there's little guarantee the studio will strike gold twice. Plus, they don't have the same marketing engine pushing them as the bigger publishers do.

I just want more indie devs to realize what people ACTUALLY want, which is gameplay. Take Hollow Knight, which I raved about earlier; it's clearly a metroidvania concept. But it's streamlined (there's no ammo/health drops or incremental upgrades to ammo capacities or whatever), the upgrades "feel" really meaningful and unique, and there's a little Dark Souls in its DNA in some respects. But the visuals are top-notch, hand-dawn cartoon visuals, not 16-bit stuff (which is great, IN SOME CASES, but vastly overused now), and the music is amazing soft piano stuff. It doesn't "feel" like an old game, even if it's pulling inspiration from older titles. It captures the gameplay and refines it, and packages it all with a modern aesthetic and setting that really work.
    This is the third time I've heard someone say Hollow Knight is like Super Metroid meets Symphony of the Night. I think Ill pick this up tonight. I loved both of those games and recently did another play through of Super Metroid on my rasberry Retro Pie.

I think Ori and the blind forest is another really good hidden gem on Steam. Its also similar to Metroid. For some reason, I like those types of games a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    This is the third time I've heard someone say Hollow Knight is like Super Metroid meets Symphony of the Night. I think Ill pick this up tonight. I loved both of those games and recently did another play through of Super Metroid on my rasberry Retro Pie.

I think Ori and the blind forest is another really good hidden gem on Steam. Its also similar to Metroid. For some reason, I like those types of games a lot.
    Damn I forgot about Ori and the Blind Forest. That game was so bloody awesome. Ending to it had me in tears a little.

One game I'd like to say is 20XX. It's a Mega Man style platformer.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/322110/20XX/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Damn I forgot about Ori and the Blind Forest. That game was so bloody awesome. Ending to it had me in tears a little.

One game I'd like to say is 20XX. It's a Mega Man style platformer.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/322110/20XX/
    I like Mega Man alike platformers, and i got 20XX on my wishlist. But seeing is still on early access... Idk if is worth risk buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    I like Mega Man alike platformers, and i got 20XX on my wishlist. But seeing is still on early access... Idk if is worth risk buying it.
    Sadly that's what has me on the fence as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    As someone who owns it, and recomended it in this thread, I'd like to point out that, for me, the game hasn't crashed once. The only bug I've seen was an issue with some of the procedural generation, where it would occasionally spawn a box where the player couldn't reach it. They have updated it every 2 weeks like clockwork, just like they claim in the advert.

The game play is solid all round and the multiplayer has had most of the kinks worked out. The one thing that's really missing at this point is some form of end level or boss rush, otherwise the game feels very complete.

10+ Year Old Account
    there is so many steam games, including greenlight. it drives curiosity as well as being a bit frustrating to not have a meaningful way to check them all in a reasonable amount of time

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah Ori is great, but I didn't list it myself because I know a ton of people that have played it.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Citizens of Earth, if you love Earthbound-esque JRPGs. It has a fun cast of characters to collect, a cool soundtrack, and fun humor. It's a game I really enjoyed playing, and brought back a lot of nostalgia to Earthbound itself.

LISA is also an RPG. It has turn-based combat, but the areas are side-scrolling. The visual style has, once again, an Earthbound feel to it. It deals with extremely dark and depressing themes, and you have to make some horrible decisions during the game that will affect how the future of the game plays. It does have some good humor in it, and it has a pretty interesting story. The combat is also pretty fun. The DLC is also worth checking out. You may need a therapy session after playing this game, though.

Bastion and Transistor are excellent games. They have beautiful graphics, awesome soundtracks, and interesting stories.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Also using my Steam library to pick some games that I rarely see counted in other places:

1. Asterbreed A Japanese shoot 'em up with aspirations of bullet hell but a lot more forgiving, really nice visuals and likes to switch perspectives (haven't played in a while but I remember it was vertical, horizontal and sometimes behind your mech).

2. Gigantic ArmyThis one captures pretty well the feel of Target Earth, Cybernator (Or any of the old Assault Suit games actually), Metal Warriors and Front Mission: Gun Hazard. So if you liked any of those you'll probably like this one.

3. Jamestown This one might be more related to its age than actually never been popular, but I remember running into it by accident. It's a shoot 'em up with 4 player co-op, this one is slightly more akin to bullet hell shooters, but it doesn't go that far, it's still very hard though.

4. One Way Heroics A somewhat weird one, this is a rogue like with rpg elements, but the thing is that you can only advance, so you have to plan where you want to go.

And when I re-read this I couldn't avoid to feel like I was doing ads, so I'm gonna leave it here.

Block N Load
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/299360/Block_N_Load/
    A free to play game that has sadly ceased further development. Very fun and very addictive. I have played 451 hours of it. A FPS that asks you to think creatively to accomplish your objectives.

Hawken
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/271290/HAWKEN/
    F2P Arena FPS. Game has been in a coma for a long time with no development and low player base. The game is great fun and I would have loved to see it take of and be a success but what is there is still great. PC recently got an update and we may have more in the future. I have 286 hours on record.

Mordheim: City of the Damned
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/27...of_the_Damned/
    This was a surprise purchase for me, I got it in a humble monthly bundle. Once I started playing it I fell in love. My warband of ratty Skaven are still surviving in this damned city trying to kill them. Excellent turn based strategy game. The best I've ever played. I just wish multiplayer were more of a thing. 159 hours on record, quite a bit of that may have been afk though.

Atlas Reactor
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/402570/Atlas_Reactor/
    F2P Fast paced turn based strategy pvp with unique characters. That's a combination that won't appeal to everyone but the game is so unique that I hope it succeeds. 14.4 hours on record.

All of these have generally positive reviews but I would still say they are under rated and deserve more attention then they get.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

Antichamber - one of the best 3d puzzle games I've ever played. Very little hand-holding, in a good way.
    Omg yes, I still get brain knots thinking about that game. I love how it made think outside the box for the solution. It's been awhile since I've played, I might do it over again since I know I've forgotten most of the puzzles.

I guess to add one of my own, I loved Papers, Please. I couldn't believe how engaged I was playing it. My favorite part was playing a horrible father in order to get my family to a better place. I Would alternate between feeding them and keeping them warm each day just to make a profit so we could live a better life.
    Last edited by pionock; 2017-07-13 at 02:32 AM.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Damn I forgot about Ori and the Blind Forest.
    One of the most mixed titles on Steam for me. As much as I love the graphics and soundtrack, I still can't accept the horrible boss battles and the "safe" story. I still give 8,5/10, but i'm very skeptical about the game.

Monday Night Combat (Link) is a very underrated title imo. I loved the multiplayer to bits, don't know how the community is nowadays.

Speedrunners (Link) is great as well, a lot of intense moments in this one.