Quote Originally Posted by Kalcheus View Post
    The problem was the setting; once they decided that Peter was in a math/science school, they couldn't have Flash be the dumb jock that he was originally portrayed as in the comics. I thought smug nerd worked well for a "rival" for Peter.
    He didn't seem like a rival, he certainly wasn't intimidating to Peter at all, right? I guess the party thing maybe? Same with Michelle, she's obviously supposed to be obvious, but it doesn't mean anything. So why have Flash be Flash instead of Bob the Preppy? Or maybe have Flash be a dumb jock from the neighborhood? The scene with Prowler seemed a bit bland too, though it had some funny parts, it seems like it SHOULD have been funnier. Maybe it was just my mood.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    He didn't seem like a rival, he certainly wasn't intimidating to Peter at all, right? I guess the party thing maybe? Same with Michelle, she's obviously supposed to be obvious, but it doesn't mean anything. So why have Flash be Flash instead of Bob the Preppy? Or maybe have Flash be a dumb jock from the neighborhood? The scene with Prowler seemed a bit bland too, though it had some funny parts, it seems like it SHOULD have been funnier. Maybe it was just my mood.
    Less bully rival, more nerd rival. The car, the "Penis Parker", the missing the question. It makes sense in the context of the school.

It honestly feels like the names were more easter eggs that'll never hatch. I mean, does anyone see Ned becoming Hobgoblin in 3 films?
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalcheus View Post
    Less bully rival, more nerd rival. The car, the "Penis Parker", the missing the question. It makes sense in the context of the school.
    I don't know, he seemed like a preppy dick, sure, but Parker seemed to dismiss him pretty easily. I don't feel like spoiler tags or whatever, so not worth a point by point I guess. It's really just opinions anyway, it just seemed like the character would have been fine with no "Flash Thompson" attached, and the name gives him a connection that won't go anywhere, so why bother?

It honestly feels like the names were more easter eggs that'll never hatch. I mean, does anyone see Ned becoming Hobgoblin in 3 films?
    I'm not a huge Spiderman fan, so maybe actual fans loved all the little tossed in easter eggs. It's like when they use an old movie and remake it as an entirely different genre, why bother using the name? It's like all the easter egg throwbacks to previous spiderman movies, I got some of them, but it didn't like... add anything. Just felt like they were trying too hard. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood, since Stark/Hogan also felt sort of "off". I did love Vulture though, so there's that.

10+ Year Old Account

This nails my opinion on Spider-Man: Homecoming.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I don't think they actually on screen confirmed the Uncle Ben Ultron death stuff, or when Spiderman became Spiderman, did they? He's 15 in the movie, I think, so him being an 11 year old spiderman really seems to be pushing it for me. Off camera they did retcon him into Ironman 2 scene, but I also don't think they mentioned that in the movie, right? Ironman became aware of him 6 months before, so I figured that was near when he got his powers or at least began using them.

After seeing the movie, the MJ thing is just sigh-worthy, but certainly doesn't detract from anything. It just doesn't add anything, imo, and really doesn't serve as a "shout out to the fans" as they seem to have intended it. Them changing Flash was the bigger thing. Totally altered everything about the guy, he's not Flash Thompson, so why use the name?

I guess it really should have been a Miles movie, there's little enough of Parker there. It also felt like a very "early" marvel movie, not as refined as the newer ones, but not something I can put my finger on.

On the other hand, Vulture (though they never called him that, did they? It fits.) was a great villain. Motivation was good, story was good, Keaton did very well with it. I really have no complaints about Vulture in this movie.
    i actually misread the year and mixed up the year the comic came out and the movie, so its been 2 years not 4. they never confirmed it in the movie but when they confirmed the marvel sony deal feige said spider-man was already part of the mcu history and has been a hero (atleast on some level) since right around the time age of ultron happens.

also the iron man 2 stuff is just something holland wants to be canon. hes been trying to convince feige to make it canon but its not confirmed yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post

This nails my opinion on Spider-Man: Homecoming.
    "feels like a reward from a great setup that never happened"

thats the entire point... i just... dont get AT ALL why some people wanted to see this in the movie.

how many people are going to watch this movie and NOT know how spider-man became spider-man, they say "why is he doing this, why is he spider-man" YOU KNOW WHY! you dont need to go over that stuff for the millionth time. my 6 year old nephew knows spider-mans full origin and he cant even fucking read yet.

when you guys started reading spider-man comics and go "why does spider-man want to be spider-man" no, you didnt, because youve already seen it in cartoons and commercials and birthday cards and toys.

these guys spend like 10 minutes trying to figure out HOW uncle ben died, who fucking cares how uncle ben died..

- - - Updated - - -

the majority of the complaints in this movie can be summed up as "nerds overthinking shit they dont need to"

if they had included his origin everyone and their mother would be moaning and groaning about it like they did when batman vs superman came out and showed bruce waynes parents dying.. again.

they dont show it and people are like "well.. DID HE DIEE!?!?!?" yes, the entire point of this movie is that its a back to basics spider-man movie that you can jump into and just enjoy, its spider-man being spider-man

- - - Updated - - -

i also think, people are forgetting about perspective. when spider-man 2 comes out peter will have fought in a war with the avengers to save the universe.

avengers are going to die, people are going to be hurt, the universe is never going to be the same again after that event.

you think peter is all happy go lucky but you're forgetting hes about to see a giant purple man maim and kill and rip apart his world. spider-man is a main character in both avengers movies and the peter parker we see in this movie and the one we see in the next are going to be very different people in different stages of their personal journey.

they say it feels like a cartoon or like an "inbetween the movies" movie, but their ignoring the fact that thats the fucking point.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post

the majority of the complaints in this movie can be summed up as "nerds overthinking shit they dont need to"

if they had included his origin everyone and their mother would be moaning and groaning about it like they did when batman vs superman came out and showed bruce waynes parents dying.. again.

they dont show it and people are like "well.. DID HE DIEE!?!?!?" yes, the entire point of this movie is that its a back to basics spider-man movie that you can jump into and just enjoy, its spider-man being spider-man
    It's funny because In the Nostalgia Critic review of Batman V Superman they even point out that Batman's origin is unnecessary because Batman Begin's already exists. I was shocked that these guys spent so much time complaining about the lack of the origin when everyone else praises the movie for not bringing it up. Like you said the origin has already been done Twice pick one of those movies and watch them if you somehow don't know the origin by now.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    It's funny because In the Nostalgia Critic review of Batman V Superman they even point out that Batman's origin is unnecessary because Batman Begin's already exists. I was shocked that these guys spent so much time complaining about the lack of the origin when everyone else praises the movie for not bringing it up. Like you said the origin has already been done Twice pick one of those movies and watch them if you somehow don't know the origin by now.
    I agree, batmans parents dying is almost becoming a meme instead of a powerful motivator. Uncle ben dying isnt that far behide

He is a more child friendly Deadpool really when it comes to his quips which is why they often star together in the comics. :P
    Well, they're not THAT associated with each other. Spiderman has been around since 1962. Deadpool has been around since 1992. They only started starring together in 2016. That's 30 years of Spider-man before there was a Deadpool, and another 24 years before they started starring together...

I think what a lot of people don't understand is that Homecoming is an origin story. Like Batman: Year One it's not about your origin as a hero (death of parents, radioactive spider bite), but your origin as Batman or Spiderman, i.e. the hero you become.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

i actually misread the year and mixed up the year the comic came out and the movie, so its been 2 years not 4. they never confirmed it in the movie but when they confirmed the marvel sony deal feige said spider-man was already part of the mcu history and has been a hero (atleast on some level) since right around the time age of ultron happens.
    The timeline might be a little wonky anyway, since the "8 years later" is apparently hotly contested.

also the iron man 2 stuff is just something holland wants to be canon. hes been trying to convince feige to make it canon but its not confirmed yet.
    It was probably in an Emergency Awesome video, but I thought they said it was confirmed, but I dunno.

how many people are going to watch this movie and NOT know how spider-man became spider-man, they say "why is he doing this, why is he spider-man" YOU KNOW WHY! you dont need to go over that stuff for the millionth time. my 6 year old nephew knows spider-mans full origin and he cant even fucking read yet.

when you guys started reading spider-man comics and go "why does spider-man want to be spider-man" no, you didnt, because youve already seen it in cartoons and commercials and birthday cards and toys.

these guys spend like 10 minutes trying to figure out HOW uncle ben died, who fucking cares how uncle ben died..
    I certainly don't need to see the stuff again, dear god no. That said, I would have thought a couple toss off lines would be appropriate, not scenes. Certainly they had a shit ton of nods to the prior movies that weren't needed. Aunt May saying "things were different before your Uncle Ben died back when blah blah happened" or him telling his buddy "I got my powers from a nuclear spider" or something during his discussion there.

I'm certainly not one of those obsessed with Uncle Ben, but you know how comic fans are. If it's not confirmed on screen, it's a mystery to be debunked.

I think BvS needed a quick flashback since they made "Martha" a plot point. Even then, they had what, 3 flashbacks or more?

or him telling his buddy "I got my powers from a nuclear spider" or something during his discussion there.
    He did tell Ned that. Ned asked him if the spider was still alive.

Deleted
    The story lost absolutely nothing for having no mention of Uncle Ben, this is simply a case of people needing something to critique, and as has been stated numerous times, is a huge double standard after comments with regards to BvS.

Deleted
    And I know they want to try and move away from that, I mean that Uncle Ben thing has been done to death, I do feel as a first movie they wanted to focus more on Spider-mans comical side, which he is known for in the comics. He is a more child friendly Deadpool really when it comes to his quips which is why they often star together in the comics. :P
    Im happy they HAVENT done uncle ben nore Green Goblin in this movie as it has been done to death imho...

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Im happy they HAVENT done uncle ben nore Green Goblin in this movie as it has been done to death imho...
    i think green goblin could work but they would have to focus more on Osbourne as a character, ive said for a long time that if marvel is smart they'll turn him into a proxy for dr doom
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

i think green goblin could work but they would have to focus more on Osbourne as a character, ive said for a long time that if marvel is smart they'll turn him into a proxy for dr doom
    I'd rather they not do that. I still believe the F4 is coming sooner rather than later.

Oh yeah they definitely should give Osbourne more focus as a character and a less ridiculous looking Goblin, we kind of let alot of things slide in the original film because of Willem Dafoe lol.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Oh yeah they definitely should give Osbourne more focus as a character and a less ridiculous looking Goblin, we kind of let alot of things slide in the original film because of Willem Dafoe lol.
    I wonder if we get green goblin, if they'll turn him into that hulk like goblin from the ultimate comics since they take a lot of things from them.

10+ Year Old Account
    After quitting Marvel comics since Secret Wars (2015), I have been half tempted to return. See I have always been on the X-Men side of Marvel, I dont read the other side. So I am more of an X-universe type of guy, even though when it comes to the movies I prefer the opposite :P

Point is there are so many X-Men comics now days, more so than ever...

Extraordinary X-Men
    Uncanny X-Men Vol 4
    X-Men: Blue
    X-Men: Gold
    Astonishing X-Men Vol 4
    All New Wolverine
    All-New X-Men Vol 2
    Old Man Logan Vol 2
    All-New Wolverine

Also I may have missed some. And I am not event taking into account the price.

I do miss the days when there was like only 2 continual X-Men comics. Back when you had Uncanny X-Men and then the X-Men. Then you would just have Wolverine's solo stuff... And very rarely you would have a limited series come out that could go only about 5- 10 issues. Good times
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

The timeline might be a little wonky anyway, since the "8 years later" is apparently hotly contested.

It was probably in an Emergency Awesome video, but I thought they said it was confirmed, but I dunno.
    I watched some video from Emergency Awesome yesterday where he claimed this was apparently a big issue. I hadn't heard anything about it. And for people who are concerned about the timeline I think they need to buckle up, since Marvel have indicated that they will follow the "Harry Potter model" for Spider-Man, with every movie being a school year. So the next would be his junior year of high school, and the third would be his senior year. So in the MCU timeline those movies would be set one year apart, but with the every other year release schedule in real life they will come out two years apart. So for people who are concerned with the timeline, brace yourselves. The way I look at it is I always assume that the current movies are taking place in the current year, so right now Homecoming takes place in 2017. But when the Spider-Man sequel comes and it takes place in 2019, Homecoming will have taken place in 2018. Retroactive adjustments of the timeline.

Anyway, I hope they do that "Harry Potter model". And not only high school, but that they continue on with 4 years of college too. That's 7 movies, one short of the Harry Potter series. That would be very awesome. I hope the roster of Marvel characters will be something like this:

1) Villain: Vulture. Featured Superhero: Iron Man.

2) Villain: Mysterio. Featured Superhero: Doctor Strange.
    Chameleon would hire Mysterio to do some break-ins but otherwise be sort of a behind-the-scenes villain like Thanos, Spider-Man would stop Mysterio with the help of Doctor Strange.

3) Villain: Kraven the Hunter. Featured Superhero: Bruce Banner / the Hulk.
    Chameleon hires his brother Kraven to hunt Spider-Man at some point. But besides Spider-Man, the Avenger I can see him trying to hunt is no doubt the Hulk.

On to college...

4) Villain: Hmm.. Dr Octopus I guess, he could work at the university. Featured Superhero: Black Cat? (Assuming Disney has bought back the Spider-Man rights by now). She was a freshman in college when she was set on the path that led to her becoming Black Cat, so she could be a class mate of Peter. So this could be her origin story, before she gets her own movie!

After this I'd say a Sinister Six movie could happen with the previous villains on any off-year from the regular Spider-Man releases, with Chameleon being the guy who initiates the group and Dr Octopus the guy leading it in the field as they go after Spidey.

5) Villain: Morbius the Living Vampire. Featured Superhero: Blade! Morbius is the guy who turned Blade into a Daywalker in the comics I believe. So Morbius would be Peter Parker's professor, while Spider-Man runs into Blade as they both investigate what's going on at night. Then Blade can go off and have his own movie after having been turned into the Daywalker in this one.

6) Villain: Lizard. Not sure which superhero would fit into this one, but I can't see Peter Parker finishing college without having faced Lizard, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 will have been long forgotten by now!

And if Tom Holland stays true to his idea of playing Spider-Man for 20 years, we'd have a couple more post-school year movies to go before we pack it up. Plenty of time to introduce Venom into the MCU, etc.
    Last edited by Zarc; 2017-07-14 at 02:15 PM.

After quitting Marvel comics since Secret Wars (2015), I have been half tempted to return. See I have always been on the X-Men side of Marvel, I dont read the other side. So I am more of an X-universe type of guy, even though when it comes to the movies I prefer the opposite :P

Point is there are so many X-Men comics now days, more so than ever...

Extraordinary X-Men
    Uncanny X-Men Vol 4
    X-Men: Blue
    X-Men: Gold
    Astonishing X-Men Vol 4
    All New Wolverine
    All-New X-Men Vol 2
    Old Man Logan Vol 2
    All-New Wolverine

Also I may have missed some. And I am not event taking into account the price.

I do miss the days when there was like only 2 continual X-Men comics. Back when you had Uncanny X-Men and then the X-Men. Then you would just have Wolverine's solo stuff... And very rarely you would have a limited series come out that could go only about 5- 10 issues. Good times
    I think they have cut everything back to X-men: Blue, X-men: Gold, Old Man Logan, and All New Wolverine. I think there might be a Weapon X comic as well.