Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedrolo View Post
    9 months gap from last tier to next expansion? Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

OMG this one is funny. IF 7.3 launches in september - october (They could launch it later and release the raid for christmas), we get an anouncement at Blizzcon for 8.0 (if we get it...). Next expansion won't hit until early mid 2019. I'll say it here so I can quote myself in the future. Next expansion won't release before december 2018. This is 100% for sure.

9 months, mid 2018 new expansion... how funny, at least I had a good laught.
    Not sure if someone can get more annoying. Hahahahahaha.

On the topic; given that we haven't even got to 7.3, Gamescom feels too soon for an expansion announcement. So I'm expecting the expansion announcement at Blizzcon and a subsequent release between May-July 2018. I don't think Blizzard will let anything more than around 7 months after Antorus.

Quote Originally Posted by stablon View Post
    Not sure if someone can get more annoying. Hahahahahaha.

On the topic; given that we haven't even got to 7.3, Gamescom feels too soon for an expansion announcement. So I'm expecting the expansion announcement at Blizzcon and a subsequent release between May-July 2018. I don't think Blizzard will let anything more than around 7 months after Antorus.
    Actually, expansion announcements around the time the last raid is in testing wouldn't exactly be new.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Actually, expansion announcements around the time the last raid is in testing wouldn't exactly be new.
    They announced Cata and had a first look at the last patch of Wrath (w/ICC)

Why it's hard for people to comprehend they can (and likely will) announce outside of Blizzcon is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    Does blizzard really need to draw attention to blizzcon? I thought it has sold out or almost sold out every year.
    It sells out in minutes every year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vkpush View Post
    Why wouldnt they announce it at Gamescom? The game is bigger in the EU than US and i'm sure Blizzard knows this. It's a sound business decision if nothing else.
    Because they have their own con about 3 months later?

People, they COULD announce at Gamescom but ever other expansion has been announced at a Blizzcon aside from once. There's almost no reason to announce something major at someone else's con when they can do it at their own one.

So, let's assume this - 7.3 about 12 weeks after 7.2.5 or in about 9-10 weeks. That'a late September Assuming it could be ready, I'd announce the Antorus raid and 7.3.5 at Blizzcon as well as 8.0 and say "And it will be live next week/in two weeks!". That's not quite 3 months from 7.3 but if 7.3 is late Sept 3 months takes 7.3.5 into the holidays which I think they'd avoid. If they can't drop it mid-November or so, think January.

But let's say 7.3.5 late November with a new raid. They like raid tiers to last about 6 months. That takes us to late May. Tack on another 3 months either for 7.4 or simply because it takes that long and... you have 8.0 in about 14 months from now.

Look at another way, if they announce at Blizzcon they typically have dropped alpha/beta in late Winter (Feb/March). ~ 6 months for a combined alpha/beta gets us to about the same time, Sept next year or so.

NOW.... if they announce at Gamescom in August they would either need to do beta around the time the raid drops which they don't like (guilds are clearing the raid...) or they way from August all the way to next year, probably no earlier than late January.
    Last edited by clevin; 2017-07-13 at 02:22 AM.

I did some math off Seranthor's post. I got a few different numbers, though.

From what I got, at the bare minimum the next expansion would be announced March 18, 2017 ... except we're well past that point now. If we did an average, then the date would have been June 20, 2017. Again, we're past that. So on the long end, we're looking at October 13, 2017 which is within 2 weeks of Blizzcon. That's not to discount another announcement at Gamescon, but considering Patch 7.3 isn't live yet and won't be for a while, I don't see a Gamescon announcement. Blizzard may have a large presence at Gamescon, but also remember they now have another hall for Blizzcon. Why add another hall if they weren't planning something big? Blizzcon back in 2015 felt really hollow without the expansion announcement.

On another note, looking at potential release dates for the next expansion from averages of the previous ones, I got:
    February 21, 2018
    August 9, 2018
    January 29, 2019

Knowing Blizzard, they don't release expansions for WoW in January/February. TBC was an exception and was intended to be released before December 2006 but got pushed back. So TBC is an anomaly that's not likely to be repeated. So that leaves August 9, 2018. Since that's not a Tuesday, August 7 or August 14 is more likely. But that's honestly too soon with Blizzard's track record. I'd be more inclined to believe a September-November 2018 release.

Goes to show you can't trust averages when it comes to releases. Blizzard will release the expansion when it's ready.

Expansion Announced Days (Annc/Release) Release Days (Release/Next) Days (Release/Release)
    TBC 10/25/05 447 01/15/07 200 668
    WotLK 08/03/07 468 11/13/08 281 754
    Cata 08/21/09 473 12/07/10 318 658
    MoP 10/21/11 340 09/25/12 409 779
    WoD 11/08/13 370 11/13/14 266 656
    Legion 08/06/15 390 08/30/16 - -
    AVERAGE 414.67 294.8 703
    . . . . . .
    Predicted (Min) 03/18/17 02/21/18
    Predicted (Average) 06/20/17 08/09/18
    Predicted (Max) 10/13/17 01/29/19

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkol View Post
    You think they're going to drag this patch out for another 5 months? Ok. Patch 7.3 already on the ptr, quicker release schedules this expac, and the Argus raid won't be with the patch anyway. No chance it's that far away.
    It won't be here before September with absolute certainty and I doubt they'll only give us 2.x months in ToS. An October/November release is the most realistic schedule.

Bookmark my post and eat crow in a few months.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by guardian_titan View Post

From what I got, at the bare minimum the next expansion would be announced March 18, 2017 ... except we're well past that point now. If we did an average, then the date would have been June 20, 2017. Again, we're past that. So on the long end, we're looking at October 13, 2017 which is within 2 weeks of Blizzcon. That's not to discount another announcement at Gamescon, but considering Patch 7.3 isn't live yet and won't be for a while, I don't see a Gamescon announcement. Blizzard may have a large presence at Gamescon, but also remember they now have another hall for Blizzcon. Why add another hall if they weren't planning something big? Blizzcon back in 2015 felt really hollow without the expansion announcement.

On another note, looking at potential release dates for the next expansion from averages of the previous ones, I got:
    February 21, 2018
    August 9, 2018
    January 29, 2019

Knowing Blizzard, they don't release expansions for WoW in January/February. TBC was an exception and was intended to be released before December 2006 but got pushed back. So TBC is an anomaly that's not likely to be repeated. So that leaves August 9, 2018. Since that's not a Tuesday, August 7 or August 14 is more likely. But that's honestly too soon with Blizzard's track record. I'd be more inclined to believe a September-November 2018 release.

Goes to show you can't trust averages when it comes to releases. Blizzard will release the expansion when it's ready.

Expansion Announced Days (Annc/Release) Release Days (Release/Next) Days (Release/Release)
    AVERAGE 414.67 294.8 703
    . . . . . .
    Good job. My money is remains on September 18.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bristae View Post
    Legion - August 2016, 30th though so realistically September 2016. SUMMER... in the US is until the Fall Equinox. September 22nd, 2016. Very much a "Summer" release.
    You perfectly well know I meant summer holiday since I explicitly mentioned that in my post.

Don't be obtuse, it's pathetic.

Well, 7.3 is fairly large patch, we are getting 3 zones (and they are quite large too), a raid, dungeon and new world bosses. There are invasion points and many other stuff.

But raid wise, 9 months is quite a long time, if blizzard trying to deliver content faster.

February 21, 2018
    August 9, 2018
    January 29, 2019

AVERAGE 414.67 294.8 703
    . . . . . .
    I agree on almost everything. Blizzcon without expansion announcements really lacks some kind of excitement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedrolo View Post
    9 months gap from last tier to next expansion? Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

OMG this one is funny. IF 7.3 launches in september - october (They could launch it later and release the raid for christmas), we get an anouncement at Blizzcon for 8.0 (if we get it...). Next expansion won't hit until early mid 2019. I'll say it here so I can quote myself in the future. Next expansion won't release before december 2018. This is 100% for sure.

9 months, mid 2018 new expansion... how funny, at least I had a good laught.
    MoP was announced at Blizzcon 2011 October 21. MoP released only 11 months later on September 25th. I could see them getting that down to 9 or 10 months from announcement if the development team is finally up to snuff.

November announcement. January-March beta. June-September release. Even if it released in September, thats only 10-11 months. That puts 7.3 lasting around a year which sucks, but only 9-10ish months for the raid. I think a late July-mid August release is totally feasible.

AVERAGE 414.67 294.8 703
    . . . . . .
    Great work friend, that is very much appreciated! PS --regards to GamesCon and BlizzCon, Blizzard will also be looking at what other publishers may be announcing and that could influence announcements/releases. As a fan, I always hope for announcements at BlizzCon however.

Quote Originally Posted by KSM899 View Post
    Well, 7.3 is fairly large patch, we are getting 3 zones (and they are quite large too), a raid, dungeon and new world bosses. There are invasion points and many other stuff.

But raid wise, 9 months is quite a long time, if blizzard trying to deliver content faster.
    Slightly off-topic, what's your thoughts on patches no longer having raids as a center piece? Could you imagine a patch where players spend more time on M+, Rifts or something new instead of Raids? I see a lot of players around me (including myself) for various reasons treat Raids differently than before -we can get gear, progression and fun from M+ and instead treat Raids as Heroic --Mythic raiding is just too intense for the investment. So... I wonder, is 9 months still "quite a long time" if a major Patch can be more than just "raid wise"? If you catch my drift?

I love raids, the lore, the art, the content they provide -and of course raiding -but yeah I no longer see them as 'good enough' to sustain the majority over a Patch and I think that's the beauty of Blizzard's implementation of the ever-replayable, ever-challenging M+.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KSM899 View Post

9 months with a good raid isn't too bad. I honestly think around 8 is the perfect amount of time between final patch and next expansion. Gives some chill out time to finish leveling alts/catch up on missed stuff etc.

Quote Originally Posted by risingforce View Post

Slightly off-topic, what's your thoughts on patches no longer having raids as a center piece? Could you imagine a patch where players spend more time on M+, Rifts or something new instead of Raids? I see a lot of players around me (including myself) for various reasons treat Raids differently than before -we can get gear, progression and fun from M+ and instead treat Raids as Heroic --Mythic raiding is just too intense for the investment. So... I wonder, is 9 months still "quite a long time" if a major Patch can be more than just "raid wise"? If you catch my drift?

I love raids, the lore, the art, the content they provide -and of course raiding -but yeah I no longer see them as 'good enough' to sustain the majority over a Patch and I think that's the beauty of Blizzard's implementation of the ever-replayable, ever-challenging M+.
    I've never been "raid player", I am interested on the game overall because of it's lore and fantasy. I do raids to catch up to the story and get little better gear, but I don't enjoy doing HC and Mythic over and over, so I don't do it unless I am free and find a spot on my guild.

I like the world content more than anything else, that's why I like legion, it delivers on that area.

That's being said, I know that a lot of people enjoy raids and see them as the central content of every patch, and that's fine by me as I don't spend much time on wow as I used to, so I don't really mind waiting for the next chapters.

The content variety introduced on this expansion is very good, and I really hope they continue like this in future.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    9 months with a good raid isn't too bad. I honestly think around 8 is the perfect amount of time between final patch and next expansion. Gives some chill out time to finish leveling alts/catch up on missed stuff etc.
    Now that you mention it, I did level all my alts during final patches of the previous expansions.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    The new expansion's beta will probably begin right after Blizzcon (my bet is November or December)
    And then it goes on for 6 months like usual so expect to see the expansion in June-August.

People say it'll be out in September or October 2018 but they don't take into account that Blizzard is on a new schedule and don't want us to have a year long patch like before.

Deleted
    let's not get our panties in a bunch over speculation

Deleted
    Not gonna lie. This reveal wont wait until blizzcon. Reveal at Gamescon.

Raids also dont open on launch of their respective patch (7.2 didnt open tomb). By current logic we have about 6 months or so of tomb, leading us towards a nov / december launch of that raid (with 7.3.5) and 7.3 likely in august (last week, if rushed for 1 year of legion) to mid september.

If we dont count the 7.3.5, last patch will probably be around 9 months. this means 6 months of antorus. I honestly predict a may / june release.

Quote Originally Posted by Akande Ogundimu View Post
    The new expansion's beta will probably begin right after Blizzcon (my bet is November or December)
    And then it goes on for 6 months like usual so expect to see the expansion in June-August.

People say it'll be out in September or October 2018 but they don't take into account that Blizzard is on a new schedule and don't want us to have a year long patch like before.
    They don't want us to have a year long last tier raid. That's different than "they don't want us to have a year long patch". 7.3.5 will come most likely two months later than 7.3 so that wouldn't be a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lambey View Post
    If we dont count the 7.3.5, last patch will probably be around 9 months. this means 6 months of antorus. I honestly predict a may / june release.
    So they are going from their usual 12-14 months of last tier raids to half of that? Not going to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    They don't want us to have a year long last tier raid. That's different than "they don't want us to have a year long patch". 7.3.5 will come most likely two months later than 7.3 so that wouldn't be a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

So they are going from their usual 12-14 months of last tier raids to half of that? Not going to happen.
    I agree, but I think 9 or 10 months could happen.

11 months with 7.3 and 9 with the raid puts 8.0 around July or August. June being possible but unlikely. October being the latest we could expect it. I think a mid July release is likely.

7.3- September 12th
    7.3.5 and Raid- November 28th
    Alpha begins- February 15th
    Beta begins- March 29th
    8.0 launches July 24th.

8.0 launch- 45 weeks after 7.3, 34 weeks after Antorus. Thats 11 months of 7.3, and 8.5 months of raid.

8.0 Pre Patch in August and the expansion release in September / October is my bet as well.

Quote Originally Posted by piertje View Post
    Announcement Gamescon
    month later 7.3
    Halfway november Raid
    January 7.3.5
    January Beta
    Live may/june

Im probally totally wrong here but one can only hope!
    If they announce the expansion at Gamescon then I agree this is likely though I'd move the beta to March/April and live to August/September. If they don't announce anything until blizcon and 7.3.5 is the last patch then they will have a year drought in content again. Which will lead to more players leaving.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I agree, but I think 9 or 10 months could happen.

11 months with 7.3 and 9 with the raid puts 8.0 around July or August. June being possible but unlikely. October being the latest we could expect it. I think a mid July release is likely.

7.3- September 12th
    7.3.5 and Raid- November 28th
    Alpha begins- February 15th
    Beta begins- March 29th
    8.0 launches July 24th.

8.0 launch- 45 weeks after 7.3, 34 weeks after Antorus. Thats 11 months of 7.3, and 8.5 months of raid.
    This is very likely, and I think they want a longer than the normal 5 months between raids. Gives the player base as a whole time to level up alts and complete the expansions contents. It sucks for those that will complete the raid 1-2 months from its release.