Thread: Colonization

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Colonialism was part of a very complex period of history that drove a lot of positive and negative, at the time and right up to the present day. And you can debate how much was positive and how much was negative up hill and down dale. Which of course, history has.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    The only colonisation stuff I recall from school is Roman colonsiation of Britain.

We have a lot of history, it is a fucker to cover all of it.
    You're British and they didn't cover colonialism?

And I complain about how shit Australia's education system is.

Nah scratch that it really is that shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

My classes went over multiple implications over the word in economy, politics, and social structures ( including all of the moraly questionable actions)...... however those were advanced college courses and AP high school classes. The history books in the rest of the classes were......to put it nicely... condensed in large text and few pages...

10+ Year Old Account
    Colonization in Québec (XIXth-XXth centuries) was not militaristic. It was just extending the populated area to reach agricultural, water(power), mining and wood resources. We had a Colonization Department until 1970. So it has not the pejorative meaning it has in Europe for example.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Svad1287 View Post
    Every country in the entire world, has done dumb shit at some point or another, I dont hold it against them (well, maybe Admiral Nelson) but sins of the father and all that crap, just doesnt work.
    You are not guilty becuse the sin of your ancestors, but you are guilty how you foster the legasy of your ancestors.

If we take Admiral Nelson and the British "it was good that we burned down Copenhagen and did steal the Danes fleet becuse they declear themself neutral" vs "The British was very rutless during the Napoleon eara and the Danes did pay the price for it"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baine View Post
    Colonization in Québec (XIXth-XXth centuries) was not militaristic. It was just extending the populated area to reach agricultural, water(power), mining and wood resources. We had a Colonization Department until 1970. So it has not the pejorative meaning it has in Europe for example.
    Well, I suppose some natives were moved, if I remember right. Also, there is a difference between settling and colonizing. The Laurentides area, north of Montréal, was not a colony. It was an area of Québec that the government of Québec wanted to develop and install people on. Colonisation, in English, is really the exploitation of a territory, its ressources and its people, to the benefit of a foreign power. The confusion comes from the translation. A settler, in French, is called a "colon", hence the use of the word "colonisation". However, the "colonisation" in the late XIXth century in Québec was not colonialism.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Justification for genocide.
    And many "colonization" was just that.
    With the added shit of destroying indigenous cultures.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Justification for genocide.
    And many "colonization" was just that.
    With the added shit of destroying indigenous cultures.
    Colonization didn't invent Genocide, and most of the time, the western powers didn't even introduce it to the regions they dominated. Case in point; South Africa, where most of the black people there are just as much evil Colonialists as the Afrikaans or the British.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    You're British and they didn't cover colonialism?
    When you only have one or two hours a week to fit 2000+ years of history, you ain't going to get through it all.

Independent of the UK we learnt about Ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt. Those alone take up quite a lot of time.
    For the UK we have the Celts, Roman Conquests, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings, the Normans, Hundred Years War and various other wars with France/Scotland, the Black Death, Tudors; with a lot to do with Henry VIII and his successors individually, plus we learnt a little about Shakespeare’s life. Then you have stuff like the Stuarts; Guy Fawkes, English Civil War, Restoration of the Monarchy, Great Plague & Great Fire Of London with Samuel Pepys.
    Various things about the Georgian era, a little on piracy and aspects of the slave trade. The French Revolution, Napoleonic wars & Nelson. Victorian era mainly focused on the industrial revolution and things like that. World Wars One and Two. We also had stuff like how land enclosure was implemented, the various weaponry used in wars, many of the machines and ways that things were built or used such as the canals and steam engines.

I'm sure that there is a whole lot more that I have forgotten, but all that is just from the standard history lessons that we did at Junior & Secondary school of which I think we had one hour, maybe two every week if you didn't take history as a GSCE. There is a lot to learn, and some of those individual topics spanned multiple lessons.
    Last edited by Lollis; 2017-07-13 at 12:37 AM.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    When you only have one or two hours a week to fit 2000+ years of history, you ain't going to get through it all.

Independent of the UK we learnt about Ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt. Those alone take up quite a lot of time.
    For the UK we have the Celts, Roman Conquests, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings, the Normans, Hundred Years War and various other wars with France/Scotland, the Black Death, Tudors; with a lot to do with Henry VIII and his successors individually, plus we learnt a little about Shakespeare’s life. Then you have stuff like the Stuarts; Guy Fawkes, English Civil War, Restoration of the Monarchy, Great Plague & Great Fire Of London with Samuel Pepys.
    Various things about the Georgian era, a little on piracy, aspects of the slave trade and the French Revolution, Napoleonic wars & Nelson. Victorian era mainly focused on the industrial revolution and things like that. World Wars One and Two. We also had stuff like how land enclosure was implemented, the various weaponry used in wars, many of the machines and ways that things were built or used such as the canals and steam engines.

I'm sure that there is a whole lot more that I have forgotten, but all that is just from the standard history lessons that we did at Junior & Secondary school of which I think we had one hour, maybe two every week if you didn't take history as a GSCE. There is a lot to learn, and some of those individual topics spanned multiple lessons.
    Pretty much. My History lessons were generally concerned with the local History OF ENGLAND, and the Empire was mostly regulated to news containing the industrial revolution. It's extremely hard to learn all the history of England, we did a fair bit of shit.

10+ Year Old Account

Various things about the Georgian era, a little on piracy and aspects of the slave trade. The French Revolution, Napoleonic wars & Nelson. Victorian era mainly focused on the industrial revolution and things like that. World Wars One and Two. We also had stuff like how land enclosure was implemented, the various weaponry used in wars, many of the machines and ways that things were built or used such as the canals and steam engines.

Our history lessons are less about people and events than society, what changes and what remains the same through time. It's not that we don't learn about events and people, but they are not the focal point. In Secondary, the two first years are about General History : prehistory, Mesopotamia, Greece, Rome, Middle Ages (christianisation, feudalism, etc.), Renaissance, the great discoveries (with colonisation), the French or American revolutions (teachers can choose), industrial revolution and its expansion in the world (again colonisation), and finally the different fights for human rights. Secondary 3 and 4 are about History of Québec and Canada: The first nations, New France (government of companies, fur trade, seigneurial system, royal government, role of the Catholic Church, etc.), the Conquest, british rule (Royal Proclamation of 1763, Act of Quebec of 1774, the Loyalists, Constitutionnal Act of 1791, first parliament in 1792, Rebellions of 1837-38 and Act of Union of 1840), Confederation (the federation, how it works, the different powers between federal and provincial governments, Louis Riel revolt, French Canadian exodus towards New England states and "colonisation" of the North to try to stop it, industrialization), modernization of Québec society (the road towards the Quiet Revolution of the 1960s), and finally Québec since 1980 (ex: the "Question nationale": sovereignty and renewal of the federation, both of which failed). There is also a course on the 20th century in Secondary V (but it's unfortunately optional).

Students have 3 periods of 75 minutes on a 9 day cycle (a little less than 2 hours a week) for General History, and 4 periods (about 2.5 hours a week) for History of Quebec and Canada.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    And I complain about how shit Australia's education system is.

Nah scratch that it really is that shit.
    What exactly is shit about Australia's Education system? Granted we aren't the best in the World but we are far from "shit"

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    What exactly is shit about Australia's Education system? Granted we aren't the best in the World but we are far from "shit"
    Short version: what they teach you in university they should've taught you in high school, what they teach you in high school you should've learned in primary school, and primary school is a complete waste of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Short version: what they teach you in university they should've taught you in high school, what they teach you in high school you should've learned in primary school, and primary school is a complete waste of time.
    Like what exactly? Or are you just rambling shit?

Well better than ours at any rate.

We got "blah blah blah First Fleet blah blah blah Eureka Stockade blah blah blah maybe do South Africa in high school if you're lucky".

Would've killed for Ancient Rome.

- - - Updated - - -

Like what exactly? Or are you just rambling shit?
    Let me put it this way: at my university we had exchange students from Germany who knew more maths than the maths students.

THEY WERE ENG STUDENTS.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    is any African country better off post colonialism? Does Zimbabwe have a higher standard of life than Rhodesia? Is post apartheid South African life safer than pre apartheid life?
    Have we ever ended colonialism?

We still drain the young men from Africa, taking those who are in their best age to build up the country. They come as refugees and don't need to be enslaved, but the impact on the society of their home countries is the same.

We still take all their resources. We just bribe their corrupted governments, rather than having our own government in place, but the result is the same.

We still keep them from becoming independent by sending cheap food, ensuring that their own agriculture does not have the sales quantity that would be necessary to evolve.

Whenever someone is willing to change this, we simply sell their opponents cheap weapons and call it a revolution.

I know a guy who thinks Nelson Mandela was the biggest terrorist in History.

And he considers himself well educated.

It's kinda like how in the USA we don't go into the utter wiping out of the native populations. We talk about Indian "wars" and "relocation" but not much more than that.

European colonialism pretty much was the raping of the world. Enslavement, exploitation, and blind robbery were pretty much the name of the game. Not to mention millions dead and many cultures destroyed. In other words it's one of the darkest chapters in all of world history and usually you don't like admitting you were a primary reason for it's being. I sure you may explain it as "brought them civilization" and "helped them advance" but the reality is it was terrible for almost everyone that wasn't getting richer or land out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me put it this way: at my university we had exchange students from Germany who knew more maths than the maths students.

THEY WERE ENG STUDENTS.
    I mean, you are comparing to Germans, which are one of the highest educated. Though whilst I see some of your point (since I did Advanced Maths in HS and have Friends in Uni that can't do math) I would say overall our Education systems aren't exactly "shit", since I have plenty of friends in STEM fields that are working on things that garner International attention that are done through Universities.

That being said, I live in Melbourne and the Education down here does seem much better funded than say Queensland where I grew up.

Deleted
    We call it the "Dutch golden age". In this era of colonisation we laid the foundation of our wealth.

We are also learned that oppressing people is bad, but that in this period everyone did it.

I mean, you are comparing to Germans, which are one of the highest educated. Though whilst I see some of your point (since I did Advanced Maths in HS and have Friends in Uni that can't do math) I would say overall our Education systems aren't exactly "shit", since I have plenty of friends in STEM fields that are working on things that garner International attention that are done through Universities.

That being said, I live in Melbourne and the Education down here does seem much better funded than say Queensland where I grew up.
    This was in Melbourne :P

Students succeeding in spite of the system is not a defence of the system. Direct quote from my Honours supervisor who quit the uni in disgust over the standards of teaching.