Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Civil-Rights Official Apologizes for Saying 90% of Campus Rape Cases Stem From Regret

http://www.chronicle.com/blogs/ticke...ampaignId=6211

Civil-Rights Official Apologizes for Saying 90% of Campus Rape Cases Stem From Regret

Updated (7/12/2017, 7:06 p.m.) with Ms. Jackson’s statement apologizing for her comments.

Candice E. Jackson, acting assistant secretary for civil rights at the U.S. Department of Education, apologized late Wednesday for telling The New York Times, in an article published earlier in the day, that “90 percent” of accusations of sexual assault on colleges campuses stemmed from an accuser’s regret over a sexual encounter.

In a statement released by the department, Ms. Jackson said: “As a survivor of rape myself, I would never seek to diminish anyone’s experience. My words in The New York Times poorly characterized the conversations I’ve had with countless groups of advocates. What I said was flippant, and I am sorry. All sexual harassment and sexual assault must be taken seriously — which has always been my position and will always be the position of this department.”

The statement was issued after her remarks caused a furor that overshadowed her broader criticism, in the Times article, of how sexual-assault investigations are conducted on campuses. She described such inquiries as not balanced and often predisposed to favor the accuser.

Speaking about the gender-equity law known as Title IX, Ms. Jackson told the newspaper that accused students’ rights are often ignored. This week the education secretary, Betsy DeVos, will hear from victims of sexual violence as well as students who say they have been falsely accused of sexual assault and misconduct.

Ms. Jackson has also said that the department’s 2011 letter with Title IX guidance for college campuses is being considered for reversal or revision by a task force on reform.

She declared that too many individual Title IX cases remain open, saying that investigators are told to keep looking until they find a violation, even after finding nothing. Critics have denied that assertion.

Ms. Jackson also said that, in most cases, accused students never really overrode an accuser’s wishes.

“Rather, the accusations — 90 percent of them — fall into the category of ‘we were both drunk,’ ‘we broke up, and six months later I found myself under a Title IX investigation because she just decided that our last sleeping together was not quite right,’” Ms. Jackson told the Times, in the comment that she later apologized for.

Studies have found that many instances of alleged sexual assaults involve one or both parties consuming alcohol. Advocates against sexual assault argue that such statistics place too much emphasis on blaming victims for drinking, and excuse the assailant’s behavior.

This doesn't beat that time when a guy who landed a man-made vehicle on a fucking asteroid had to apologize before some slut who thought she has a right to tell him what to wear... But still, amazing time we live in, when people have to apologize for stating facts.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." ©
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    The unfortunate fact of the matter is that many, many people in wow are very passionate in their obsession with acting like a complete retard.

15+ Year Old Account
    She's a fucking white male!

Deleted
    Honestly, the us should raise the voting age to 28 so the rest of the west will follow and young adults can no longer impact politics in such a heavy manner.

Quote Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
    This doesn't beat that time when a guy who landed a man-made vehicle on a fucking asteroid had to apologize before some slut who thought she has a right to tell him what to wear... But still, amazing time we live in, when people have to apologize for stating facts.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." ©

I doubt its 90% but Id bet its way more than 50%. Way to many people have a victim mentality these days.

Advocates against sexual assault argue that such statistics place too much emphasis on blaming victims for drinking, and excuse the assailant’s behavior.
    This one sided shit needs to stop.

Its either rape when one or both are drunk or its not. This shit basically makes every guy whos gone out and gotten drunk with his GF a rapist.

Quote Originally Posted by Safol View Post
    Honestly, the us should raise the voting age to 28 so the rest of the west will follow and young adults can no longer impact politics in such a heavy manner.
    We should also cap voting age at 60 so old fogeys do not keep us back. Fair deal?

What? Younger voters are notorious for having poor voter turnout. All of the policy decisions are being made by older people for the most part because they just flat out outnumber younger voters and are more reliable in turning out to vote.

If you have a problem with the policies in the west then look at your own fucking generation and stop blaming millennials for everything. Fucking old assholes fucked up everything then blame it on the younger generation.
    Last edited by Wyrt; 2017-07-13 at 07:12 AM.

If its the case that a drunk girls cannot give consent then its also the case that a drunk male cannot give consent. Therefore in any case where both participants have been found to have been drinking it should be a double rape because neither party has the ability to give consent. If women are going to be using the drunk/consent excuse then males should be smart and start using it as well. Its the dumbest thing i have ever heard of and it needs to be exposed for how stupid it is. So if your a male and some woman you had sex with was drunk say you were drunk too and you cant remember much but you never consented to sex because you cant make that decision while intoxicated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    What? Younger voters are notorious for having poor voter turnout. All of the policy decisions are being made by older people for the most part because they just flat out outnumber younger voters and are more reliable in turning out to vote.

If you have a problem with the policies in the west then look at your own fucking generation and stop blaming millennials for everything. Fucking old assholes fucked up everything then blame it on the younger generation.
    I am technically a millennial, the voting age I proposed would block me from voting. It's definately worth it though, just because voter turnout is low doesnt mean that legislators arent trying their hardest to pander to them.

I am technically a millennial, the voting age I proposed would block me from voting. It's definately worth it though, just because voter turnout is low doesnt mean that legislators arent trying their hardest to pander to them.
    Oh, please, the old farts have been fucking up shit long before millennials were of legal voting age.

Deleted
    Oh, please, the old farts have been fucking up shit long before millennials were of legal voting age.
    Ok, so what. Doesn't mean that young people are some sort of democracy panacea.

Ok, so what. Doesn't mean that young people are some sort of democracy panacea.
    No, but it means removing the right to vote from young people because young people are somehow responsible for the fuck ups of old people is beyond idiotic.

Deleted
    No, but it means removing the right to vote from young people because young people are somehow responsible for the fuck ups of old people is beyond idiotic.
    I've already explained how I disagree with that sentiment, you'll have to elaborate further.

I've already explained how I disagree with that sentiment, you'll have to elaborate further.
    No, you haven't. You just spouted bullshit and idiocy and tried to blame younger voters for problems caused by older voters as excuses for removing rights from people.

Deleted
    No, you haven't. You just spouted bullshit and idiocy and tried to blame younger voters for problems caused by older voters as excuses for removing rights from people.
    You are projecting a bit here, no I am not "blaming", as much as I see an issue that, while you are probably partially right, young people are not the sole reason why certain legislation is passed, I believe that a lot of it is passed because of their need to pander to young, potential voters.

Mind you, in such an active social media world, a vote partisan in general is much more valuable for other things than just voting, they will shill your ideology, virtue signal and convince others for you.

Now I will cede that the truth is probably somewhere inbetween our two stances.

You are projecting a bit here, no I am not "blaming", as much as I see an issue that, while you are probably partially right, young people are not the sole reason why certain legislation is passed, I believe that a lot of it is passed because of their need to pander to young, potential voters.

Mind you, in such an active social media world, a vote partisan in general is much more valuable for other things than just voting, they will shill your ideology, virtue signal and convince others for you.

Now I will cede that the truth is probably somewhee inbetween our two stances.
    So, young people shouldn't be allowed to vote because in your world legislation is made to pander to a group that has a high non-participation rate? The fuck?

Deleted
    So, young people shouldn't be allowed to vote because in your world legislation is made to pander to a group that has a high non-participation rate? The fuck?
    Is 50% really that low in the US, most of them voted one side.

Is 50% really that low in the US, most of them voted one side.
    Oh, I see what you're getting at. "Young people vote liberal so they shouldn't be allowed to vote! Herp derp derp durrr"

Cause of course we should let old white men to care care of politics...

We have done it since de dawn of democracy and we are doing great, aren't we?

Deleted
    Oh, I see what you're getting at. "Young people vote liberal so they shouldn't be allowed to vote! Herp derp derp durrr"
    You just can't help yourself from strawmanning can you, just to establish where I stand politically, for the past 2 elections I have voted for the left party (quite literally), but sure neoliberal clintonites are a cancer.