Poll: Best Spot to be a Raidlead

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I think the basic reason why so many tanks and/or healers raidlead is because they already have decided to play a utility spec. This is already an orientation towards the group. I have been raid leading some expansions ago, mostly on my mage, but if I was playing tank or healer in a group, then I lead in this role. Granted, most of these raids have been normal difficulty 10 or 25 man (in Wrath), but I also did HC 10 man on occasion.

But I would go with BM hunter as well. Great mobility, simple to play, and good overview of the place.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    You can raidlead as anything, but it goes with sacrifices.

Dont expect to DPS properly when you have to press that Push-To-Talk button every 5 seconds, you simply underperform a lot.

While if a tank doesnt press his filler for half a second isnt as punished as a DPS.

Myself as example, when i raid lead as Fury i have way worse performance then when i pug as Fury cause i dont have to spam the push-to-talk 24/7 , and when i raidlead as a Tank who cares, i might get 0.4% more damage overall in the fight if i hadnt pressed that Push-To-Talk so many times.
    So.... I am a affli lock who raid lead, I don't use push to talk and I am among the top dps constantly ^^ It is about finding a solution instead of ignoring the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    You can raidlead as anything, but it goes with sacrifices.

Dont expect to DPS properly when you have to press that Push-To-Talk button every 5 seconds, you simply underperform a lot.

While if a tank doesnt press his filler for half a second isnt as punished as a DPS.

Myself as example, when i raid lead as Fury i have way worse performance then when i pug as Fury cause i dont have to spam the push-to-talk 24/7 , and when i raidlead as a Tank who cares, i might get 0.4% more damage overall in the fight if i hadnt pressed that Push-To-Talk so many times.
    As a leader I stopped using PTT few expansion ago, makes life so much easier. Setting up good mic so that your keyboard and excessive sounds won't trigger the mic as well as binding a mute mic button on your preferred VoIP program works wonders. No need to sit on a key to talk or worry about sentences being cut off ^^.

But leading in general has impact on DPS (or performance in general no matter the role) whether one communicates or not. Probably those individuals who have great attention span, excellent multitasking skills don't loose much DPS while others might loose a significant amount.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    I was raidleading as range dps for years, but it definitely affected performance, even when playing relativly simple spec as ele, it was always great, when I could chill out on farm and focus on numbers and movement properly. RLing from tank PoV is definitely easier, there are very little consequences for missing a filler here or there and tank usually has unique overview of the raid, as they usually are facing the raid and see it from the other side than ranged, the hardest part is adjusting to calling left right and vica versa, since people see it the other way.

I definitely wouldnt want to RL from melee on most bosses
    IMHO for tanks it's not about missing a filler for DPS, rather then important tank swap being late or def. CD fraction of second too early or late. Usually tanks mistakes are more prominant and a tank who raid leads in some cases is more prone to making raid wiping mistakes then a DPS who misses out on a CD or rotation skill usage. Consequences of a tank mistake due to trying to keep the chaos of the raid under control, half the time lead to death of the co tank or a full raid wipe. Granted when content becomes more "farmish" and movements, timings are more of a reflex then anything else then it becomes simple.

Yes, tanks have unique overview idd of pets/melees/bosses' feet & groin/and the abundance of player and boss/debuff/ability based ground AoE *lol* for sure . If camera angeled right and tanking "corner" is in a good place keeping an eye on the raid is not that tough. Though still a ranged person beats anyone in melee with their viewpoint.

Raid leading is more about the leading skills of a person and not allways reliant on role, you can allways look at whats going on from any perspective and get a good enough picture of whats going on. Your performence might suffer a little, but at higher difficulties having a leader is better than having the perfect dps/hps/tanking.

But, if you take 4 equally good leaders in the different roles, id aay a healer will be the top pic just for the sake of calling out healing cds. But thats a job that a healing officer can do... So...

Madness will consume you!!!

Deleted
    I have been raidleading (or co-leading) for nearly 10 years now and have done it in all roles.

Melee DPS is definitely the worst role to raidlead with. It is the hardest role in terms of keeping a good overview over the whole raid. Yes, you can zoom out and turn the camera a lot etc., but you are usually in the middle of the fight whereas tanks and ranged/healers always have everything happening in front of them. Another problem is that a lot of abilities are only handled by ranged and it is kind of hard to give advice how to deal with / judge how hard it is to deal with them, if you never have to do them yourself. Ranged/healers usually can "partake" in melee-only mechanics (and those mostly are of the "run out of certain shit"-type anyway).

I think raid leading as a tank is super good. As a good player, it is very easy and not very "focus-consuming" to do your job and there is lots of downtime on many fights, too. You are also usually the first player to have your mechanics down on any given fight.

Ranged DPS/ healer depends a bit on the fight and spec. I think they both have the best overview of the fight. On a very high level, Healers have it a bit easier than DPS maximizing their output - but at the same time you can usually live with a DPS missing a cast here or there for an important call, but someone might die if a healer has to do that.
    Last edited by mmoc8b94713eb4; 2017-07-13 at 09:55 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    Go ahead and mention any top guild with a non tank/healer raid leader. Oh that's right, there's none. The only way you can think a dps can make a good raid leader is because you don't raid, in the other words, you don't know what you're talking about.

I guess everybody has their own opinion, even if it's a wrong one.
    Method... Serenity...

BM hunter is like spectator mode. So I guess that's the best spot for raid leading.

Deleted
    Everyone saying that Melee DPS can't raidlead has not raided under "Talism" a rogue from the Guild "Tainted" On skullcrusher back in The Burning Crusade expansion.

I know, its a long time ago, but its BY FAR the best Raid leader I have ever had the pleasure to raid under. This man could top the meters, call out individual players who had a buff / debuff, guide them to what they needed to do, while also paying attention to everything around.
    We were the best on the server and had Kil'jaeden Server first.

The man was an absolute machine.

I was a raid leader as a rogue for a short period of time. it was awful. I couldn't do it.

In the past, I've found being the off-tank by far the easiest role to raid lead in. This expansion, however, both tanks are expected to share jobs equally and generally require more attention.

I now raid lead as mage but during fights our Resto Druid does most of the calling as healers are naturally looking for mechanics that affect all roles at all times in order to maximize their output, moreso than dps/tanks.

So, in short, off-tank previously, but healer these days.

Ultimately though, when you're practiced in calling, you can do it on any class without impacting your performance too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Wood View Post
    So.... I am a affli lock who raid lead, I don't use push to talk and I am among the top dps constantly ^^ It is about finding a solution instead of ignoring the problem.
    Open Mic obviously is easier but its not possible for me to use for reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnillon View Post
    As a leader I stopped using PTT few expansion ago, makes life so much easier. Setting up good mic so that your keyboard and excessive sounds won't trigger the mic as well as binding a mute mic button on your preferred VoIP program works wonders. No need to sit on a key to talk or worry about sentences being cut off ^^.
    Not possible, despite owning a PC at home i tend to raid from a net cafe for different reasons, mostly because the GF wants to raid too and her laptop cant handle the game in a raid, try not having PTT and having loud music playing behind with 50 people yelling

Tank may seem to be a better choice for some because they think it's easier to observe the raid while tanking but I think it depends on the fight. If the boss is huge or the room is too tight or there are many adds to take care of, it becomes ten times harder to keep track of the raid. So range dps is always better if you consider those. Also you can always sacrifice some dps if a dps is leading the raid, on the other hand some fights require tanks to keep track of certain debuffs and boss abilities which can be fatal if missed. So losing a tank just because of that wouldn't be nice. Therefore range dps especially hunters seem to be the best choice to do the job.

Both myself and other raid lead are melee dps. It matters on the person, not the role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Allenschezar View Post
    Which Raid Spot is the best to do the job of a raidlead? I'm talking Tank, Heal, Range DPS, Meele DPS.

During WotLK I did Raidlead for first and second tier. In that time i was always a tank. How is it in Legion? Haven't been a tank for a long time.

Just curious what people think / experienced. What's your opinion?
    Actually the best raid lead is someone NOT in the raid. When I was doing hardcore raiding our raid lead watched his wife's screen on a second monitor and led. He played with us at one point, he wasnt the best player but was a great lead.

When I was leading it seemed much easier as a Tank as for the most part its set it and forget it. it was still doable on most of my DPS.. Healing I had too much shit to pay attention too.

Our guild actually splits the leadership between a tank and a healer. Tank does calls for those of us in the melee area and tanks, our healer calls for cooldowns and calls for ranged.

They've done a good job of not stepping on each other's toes and it gives some decent perspectives.

I will say our healer is the more dominant leader for call outs. He's a resto druid

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    Go ahead and mention any top guild with a non tank/healer raid leader. Oh that's right, there's none. The only way you can think a dps can make a good raid leader is because you don't raid, in the other words, you don't know what you're talking about.

I guess everybody has their own opinion, even if it's a wrong one.
    There's a difference between Guild Master and Raid Leader

This post is so ignorant i'm actually starting to second guess myself on whether it's just intentional trolling.

On Topic: Ranged DPS would be my pick. Tanks and melee don't have good vantage points and healers are too busy staring at raid frames and managing Cooldowns.

I think it also depends on what you expect the "Raid Leader" to do. Some people think the Raid Leader is just a person that calls out when a mechanic is going to happen. If that's the case, sure anyone can call our DBM/Big Wig timers. If you want someone to actually pay attention to the mechanics, make adjustments on the fly if something goes wrong or be able to pinpoint what went wrong or who made a mistake and how to fix it, ranged DPS would be able to focus on that the best. Sure a Raid Leader might not do their rotation perfectly but outside of patchwork DPS style fights where every bit of DPS counts, i'm cool with someone doing 90% of their potential DPS to make sure the raid doesn't wipe to a mechanic. And usually patchwerk style fights have very limited mechanics so that an RL should be able to put most, if not all of their focus into maximizing their damage.
    Last edited by Skyepic; 2017-07-13 at 03:24 PM.

I don't like tanks raid leading, since they like to interfere with dpsing and most of the time they don't understand shit about it, I think tanks should help each other and a dps ranged do the rest.

7+ Year Old Account
    Tanks great officers but not RL. For my whole WoW history i met only one good tank RL and he was mage in Gruul raid.

Ranged DPS. Tanks are often too close to the boss, and have bad overview of the ranged/healers, same problem for melee dps. Healers often have too much other shit to deal with, same also slightly applies to tanks.

guardian druid because you literally dont have to do anything other than occasionally taunt the boss