Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Recommend some 1440p monitors!

I've been shopping around for a third monitor, and I've decided on 1440p for the extra workspace. Less so for gaming, but my 1080 will handle it well enough.

I...actually don't know where to go for info on monitors. Toss me some recommendations! Will be using it mostly for gaming and some development; No real color-sensitive content creation. I intent to mount it between my two 1080p monitors, so VESA would be great.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    I looked for a long time myself, settled on BenQ xl2720z
    In general, I highly recommend http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ for all your monitor needs, they have calibrations done and you can adjust your monitor with those settings for optimal settings.

Edit: horrible mistake, I have the xl2730z, the 1440p version.
    Last edited by Cyrops; 2017-07-13 at 12:08 PM.
    PM me weird stuff :3

10+ Year Old Account
    https://pcmonitors.info/ is imo the best source of really in-depth reviews. Check out their recommendations page for some ideas ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    In general, I highly recommend http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ for all your monitor needs, they have calibrations done and you can adjust your monitor with those settings for optimal settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    https://pcmonitors.info/ is imo the best source of really in-depth reviews. Check out their recommendations page for some ideas ^^
    Thanks guys, going to check them out today.
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I bought 2 Korean 27" 1440p IPS monitors from Ebay about 5 years ago, cost me about £250 each and they're absolutely perfect. I use them for gaming, coding + web design, and even photography work. The panels in them are made by LG or Samsung usually, and usually they come from a batch that's considered as 'failed' (usually because a number of panels in the batch didn't live up to standards).

In terms of specs, there's not much info on them but they're all usually about the same. There's only basic input ports, usually a lack of OSD (which I actually prefer not to have to use), but I've never seen ghosting or the likes on either of the 2 I bought. They don't have a scalar in them, so you can't hook them up to a console (usually, might not be true with latest consoles), and so you'll need to use them with a PC. They generally run at 60hz but you can sometimes clock them higher (though I don't personally recommend it).
    I've looked into Korean monitors but to be honest I'd rather pay a bit more for a more "NA" experience and all the assurance that brings.

Right now I'm looking at this BenQ as a potential buy. I'm not really seeing any downsides. I don't care about Gsync as I usually leave Vsync on anyway; 60's AOK for me. My hardware's mostly to support modding, so a 1080 at 1080p has never been overkill, it's usually pegged. I don't mind the bezels either.
    [/url]

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S.../dp/B0149QBOF0

This is probably the most gorgeous tn panel you'll ever see.

Doesn't play nice with AMD cards worth a shit, but it's g-sync so what ever.
    Signature Nazi's suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're going for anything more advanced than TN panels then you have lots of research to do as there are a slew of extra aspects that matter.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muezick View Post

BenQ xl2730z has higher contrast after calibration, 917 vs 876 on Dell

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/...tm#calibration

BenQ xl2730z has higher contrast after calibration, 917 vs 876 on Dell

What does that even mean? Can you even explain what that means? Except "this" Monitor has 0.05% higher contrast. I mean *really* explain it. Because I'd be willing to bet 99.9999% of people can't tell the difference with their naked eye. Nice straw grasping I guess? Is BenQ paying you? Sure hope not, because that's a pretty shit argument.

I don't know dog shit about any other monitor, but i DO own the dell I recommended and it *is* fucking gorgeous. It looks like an IPS.

It's pretty simple, OP, Buy which ever monitor sounds good to you and if you don't like it, return and buy a different one. Don't even bother trying to pay attention to minuscule facts like "0.05% better contrast" because your eyes are YOUR eyes, and only you can make the decision for what looks best to you.
    Signature Nazi's suck.

What does that even mean? Can you even explain what that means? Except "this" Monitor has 0.05% higher contrast. I mean *really* explain it. Because I'd be willing to bet 99.9999% of people can't tell the difference with their naked eye. Nice straw grasping I guess? Is BenQ paying you? Sure hope not, because that's a pretty shit argument.

I don't know dog shit about any other monitor, but i DO own the dell I recommended and it *is* fucking gorgeous. It looks like an IPS.

It's pretty simple, OP, Buy which ever monitor sounds good to you and if you don't like it, return and buy a different one. Don't even bother trying to pay attention to minuscule facts like "0.05% better contrast" because your eyes are YOUR eyes, and only you can make the decision for what looks best to you.
    I'll tell you what does matter. That benq is (currently) more expensive, lower resolution, no g-sync and its ~6 years old. Looks like another person justifying a bad purchase.

I bought this with my 1070 on black friday last year and it's absolutely gorgeous. Out of the box the colors are a little washed but with the minor calibration that everyone should really do with a new monitor anyway it is by far the best monitor I've ever had.

I bought the Acer 27" Predator XB271HU a few weeks ago, I'm happy with it.

It has all the goodies; 1440p, 144Hz(165Hz easy OC), Gsync and IPS. 4ms response time is not a big deal for FPS games either considering it's an IPS panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    ASUS VG248QE

/thread
    OP asked for 1440p. Neither that nor the 27" version of it is 1440.
    That said I've got a friend with it and it does look very good.

10+ Year Old Account
    This BenQ is arriving tomorrow, my Ergotech monitor stand arrived a day earlier, along with some longer cables for all three monitors. I feel like a lot of options for 1440p 27' are wildly priced here in Canada, we're talking $700+. Too much for me, that's a CPU, MoBo & Ram.

I'll post here once I've got everything set up.
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrast_ratio

The contrast ratio is a property of a display system, defined as the ratio of the luminance of the brightest color (white) to that of the darkest color (black) that the system is capable of producing. A high contrast ratio is a desired aspect of any display. It has similarities with dynamic range.
    In simple words, contrast ratio is how different is a dark color from bright color, in terms of brightness, the lower the contrast the more 'washed out' colors look.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo X View Post
    I'll tell you what does matter. That benq is (currently) more expensive, lower resolution, no g-sync and its ~6 years old. Looks like another person justifying a bad purchase.
    Both are the same res of 1440p and Dell is 80e more in my country. G-sync is irrelevant if you don't have nvidia gpu

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    This BenQ is arriving tomorrow, my Ergotech monitor stand arrived a day earlier, along with some longer cables for all three monitors. I feel like a lot of options for 1440p 27' are wildly priced here in Canada, we're talking $700+. Too much for me, that's a CPU, MoBo & Ram.

I'll post here once I've got everything set up.
    Were you looking at 1440p@144hz prices? Because @60hz they should be priced much lower, since the one you are getting is 60hz

Both are the same res of 1440p and Dell is 80e more in my country. G-sync is irrelevant if you don't have nvidia gpu
    http://imgur.com/a/gcPvV

I hate to be the one to break it to ya bud.

And he has a 1080... so its not irrelevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://imgur.com/a/gcPvV

I hate to be the one to break it to ya bud.
    AW snap, I misspelled the name ... thanks bud.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Thanks guys, going to check them out today.
    I made a horrible mistake in the monitor name, I have the xl2730z, the 1440p version, NOT the 1080p one which is xl2720z

AW snap, I misspelled the name ... thanks bud.

- - - Updated - - -

I made a horrible mistake in the monitor name, I have the xl2730z, the 1440p version, NOT the 1080p one which is xl2720z
    Thought you should know too that the xl2730z is discontinued. Its now just xl2730 and its more expensive (here in the US) than the dell with gsync.

10+ Year Old Account
    Were you looking at 1440p@144hz prices? Because @60hz they should be priced much lower, since the one you are getting is 60hz
    I was just looking for 60Hz.

Pricing here is fucked for anything bigger than 24' in general, and I'm not really pushing a ton of games that will run at 144 FPS anyway. Not into League, Overwatch, CSGO etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Thought you should know too that the xl2730z is discontinued. Its now just xl2730 and its more expensive (here in the US) than the dell with gsync.
    $730 CAD before Tax & Shipping. Topping out at $400 was the most I was willing to pay, and part of why I just went through Amazon for the free two day shipping.

Please note that I was asking for recommendations and you guys provided plenty! I was aware pricing would be an issue and worked with what I had available to me. The monitor should be here soon. I'll get it set up, take a few days and come back with my thoughts.
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2017-07-13 at 03:41 PM.
    [/url]