Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Demon Hunter 3rd Spec - Hatred

As the title indicates, I'm suggesting a 3rd spec that hopefully feels unique and interesting, yet still feels Demon Hunter.

I'll focus on the concepts instead of trying to bombard you with ability names and technical stuff.

This 3rd Spec would be inspired in Illidan's "Air Phase" from Black Temple, where he throws his glaives at the ground, summoning the flames of azzinoth, and attacks us from the air.
    For players, "air" would be replaced with "ranged".

It would have a unique approach not really seen in any other spec in the game - alternating between Melee Stance and Ranged Stance (Placeholder names).
    It would also focus a lot on raw Fel energy and less on martial combat.

[Weapons]
    Dual Warglaives or Scythe (Allari the Souleater).

[Melee Stance]
    - In Melee Stance you would fight with your Warglaives/Scythe, focusing mostly on building your Resource.
    - Most attacks would envelop yourself or your weapons in Fel Flames.
    - There could obviously be some heavy hitting or rotational moves using up Resource.
    - Melee Stance would have a charge move, necessary to reposition yourself after exiting Ranged Stance.

[Ranged Stance]

- Activating Ranged Stance would reminisce of Illidan's Air Phase - you throw the Warglaives/Scythe at the ground and summon the "Flames of Azzinoth (placeholder name)".
    You would have an ability that allows you to relocate your Warglaives in a rather aggressive fashion (they'd spin on their way to stab the ground on the new location), which would be important as many effects could be associated with their location, both in PvE and PvP, such as movement impairment, CC, interacting with your rotation, etc.

- In Ranged Stance, you'd focus on spending the Resource with ranged Fel spellcasting.
    - This would probably include powerful spells with interruptible casts.
    - You would also interact with the Flames of Azzinoth, such as combined attacks and even infusing yourself with them.
    - Ranged Stance would have a "Disengage" ability like Vengeful Retreat to help you position yourself immediately after changing to Ranged Stance (no GCD).

[Resource]
    - This Resource would not be as fast as Fury or Pain.
    - Instead it would take 15~20 seconds to max (baseline).
    - However, you'd only need 50% to activate Ranged Stance.

[Talents]
    - Talents would help you choose between focusing more on one of the stances or balanced gameplay.

[Other]
    - Metamorphosis in this Spec would be less bulky and more "burning".
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2017-07-15 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Better Title
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    At the farmers market with my "so called girl-friend"
    I believe during an interview before the launch of legion talking about why Demon Hunters only having 2 specs (which I still cant find the source of) it was briefly mentioned that they had tested a Spec that healed by doing damage, and that ultimately they ended up scrapping the idea because it didn't feel right.

I suspect this spec used 2 handed weapons because of all the DH Npc and the one Order Hall follower that wield scythes. That's just a hunch though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Q: What's Black, White and Asian all at the same time?
    A: Pandas. Easing racial tensions since 1999.

Idea in itself seems ok...but a Ranged DH would feel more like a Destru Warlock 2.0 than a unique spec.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Being bad is the first step to gittin gud, before anyone was gud, they were bad. Not everyone is as equally skilled at the start but everyone can learn to git gud. - Ythisens
    Tofinish list : NOTHING CAUSE I FINALLY DID IT.
    Todo list : S;G0, New Game, Erased.

Quote Originally Posted by A-sayo View Post
    Idea in itself seems ok...but a Ranged DH would feel more like a Destru Warlock 2.0 than a unique spec.
    It's not like that would be enough of a reason to not have it. Feral Druids are, or at least were, super similar to Rogues. Also I think the fact that this idea would have the player switching between melee and ranged would be more than enough to make it distinct.

Quote Originally Posted by Najja View Post
    It's not like that would be enough of a reason to not have it. Feral Druids are, or at least were, super similar to Rogues. Also I think the fact that this idea would have the player switching between melee and ranged would be more than enough to make it distinct.
    You mark a point there. Looking forward to the big position management problems during Highmaul Butcher kind of fight, though ! xD

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot about the Talents part brought by OP. This shouldn't cause that big of a deal, then.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Being bad is the first step to gittin gud, before anyone was gud, they were bad. Not everyone is as equally skilled at the start but everyone can learn to git gud. - Ythisens
    Tofinish list : NOTHING CAUSE I FINALLY DID IT.
    Todo list : S;G0, New Game, Erased.

Quote Originally Posted by Najja View Post
    Not to mention that Rogue, Mage, and Warlock all have three specs that are just DPS. Rogue specs aren't even all that different from each other.

Deleted
    I find the idea very interesting actually. It will break the boring spamy gameplay we currently have. I think I will enjoy this game play alot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A-sayo View Post
    You mark a point there. Looking forward to the big position management problems during Highmaul Butcher kind of fight, though ! xD

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot about the Talents part brought by OP. This shouldn't cause that big of a deal, then.
    Yes, and the fact you can activate Ranged stance at 50% indicates you have a lot of control on how much % of your rotation is spent on each Stance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nbcall View Post
    I suspect this spec used 2 handed weapons because of all the DH Npc and the one Order Hall follower that wield scythes. That's just a hunch though.
    I had forgotten at least one of the DH wields a Scythe.
    Perhaps this spec could be it.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!

The only 3rd spec that MIGHT work is something based on Allari. It could even be a healer spec with how she syphons energy/Fel. Stores energy in soul crystals and uses that to heal and the like.

7+ Year Old Account
    could be a fun idea. could be a nightmare for positioning and healing.
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post
    I had forgotten at least one of the DH wields a Scythe.
    Perhaps this spec could be it.
    Allari uses a scythe, but she's a caster not melee.

Quote Originally Posted by Kensio View Post
    No thank you, 2 specs are enough
    i'm not saying OPs suggestion is a good one. but i do wonder, how can you say this? why on earth is 2 enough when all others have 3, except for druid with 4? It was really really lazy design by blizzard in the first place to only have 2 specs with DH. Later on they went on to say that a 3rd spec didn't feel right for the class fantasy, which felt like a cop out way of saying, "we didn't have the time and/or money to do this thing, so here we are, live with it."

Of course DHs need a 3rd spec, what it is or should be, i don't have a clue. but there should be one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kensio View Post
    No thank you, 2 specs are enough
    2 specs are definitely not enough. I feel like I was robbed to be honest. I would love to have a 3rd spec so I had more variance to my class.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeriel View Post
    The only 3rd spec that MIGHT work is something based on Allari. It could even be a healer spec with how she syphons energy/Fel. Stores energy in soul crystals and uses that to heal and the like.
    The way Demon Hunters are so hellbent on destroying the legion, I think even a Healer class for DH would need to deal damage.
    But doing so would piss off Mistweavers who got denied that concept for no good reason.

Fun idea. It's basically rdm (red mage) in ffxiv, and that's super fun to play.

Nah, I like being the only 2spec class. Best part about it is they would kill the class if they heavily nerfed havoc, so they can't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post
    The way Demon Hunters are so hellbent on destroying the legion, I think even a Healer class for DH would need to deal damage.
    But doing so would piss off Mistweavers who got denied that concept for no good reason.
    Yeah. I thought something along the lines of an Inverse Brewmaster or Druid would fit. Store the pain in a soul crystal, then focus on the healing the DoT (think stagger crossed with Ignore Pain with a little Disc thrown in).

I like it. Slightly reminds me of Terrorblade from Dota with how his metamorphosis works.
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    The unfortunate fact of the matter is that many, many people in wow are very passionate in their obsession with acting like a complete retard.

Quote Originally Posted by aGit View Post
    i'm not saying OPs suggestion is a good one. but i do wonder, how can you say this? why on earth is 2 enough when all others have 3, except for druid with 4? It was really really lazy design by blizzard in the first place to only have 2 specs with DH. Later on they went on to say that a 3rd spec didn't feel right for the class fantasy, which felt like a cop out way of saying, "we didn't have the time and/or money to do this thing, so here we are, live with it."

Of course DHs need a 3rd spec, what it is or should be, i don't have a clue. but there should be one.
    Quote Originally Posted by butterknives View Post
    2 specs are definitely not enough. I feel like I was robbed to be honest. I would love to have a 3rd spec so I had more variance to my class.
    Blizzard can't even balance the 2 specs we have right now, so no, I don't think that the design team should have another spec to worry about.
    More than that, blizz themselves stated that if it was today, a lot of the 3 spec classes would've been 2 spec, like rogues and warlocks for example.

I don't feel like I was robbed out, I feel like blizz tried to do a fast reaction to the shitshow they called WoD and tried to save the game and draw players back by adding DHs, look at the DHs state, almost 1 year after the expansion started and we still have fel rush dcs, we get nerf after nerf, the fury generating problem they promised to fix in 7.2.5 was ditched 4 days before the release of 7.2.5, I spend so much time fury hungry that I literally thinking of going to take a piss and nothing it will remain the same when I get back (of course I'm exaggerating, but you get my poing).

So I stand with my first statement, in my own opinion we don't need a new spec.