Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I hate how youtube's recommended list changes when you press the back button

I always click on a video or link on youtube, then see something else more interesting in the recommended list right after I click, but when I click back the recommended list changes and I have to try to search for it again.

First world problems

Deleted
    it doesnt change for me are you logged in?

so just control click the video/link instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Open videos in new tabs so the Home page doesn't change until you do a refresh. (middle click works as well as ctrl+click)

That or hover over the video length in the lower right of the thumbnail, it will instigate a popup you can click to "watch later".

Deleted
    Back button is evil.
    I always open in new tabs to avoid that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Open videos in new tabs so the Home page doesn't change until you do a refresh.

That or hover over the video length in the lower right of the thumbnail, it will instigate a popup you can click to "watch later".
    img]http://i.imgur.com/kzbM93i.png[/img]
    The problem is that I click on videos and within the time between right after I clicked and before it actually loads is when I see the video in recommended. This happens at least a few times a day, enough for me to make a topic about it lol

10+ Year Old Account
    The simple answer there is to wait 3 seconds and scan the recommended feed before clicking new videos then

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    The simple answer there is to wait 3 seconds and scan the recommended feed before clicking new videos then
    Yeah but my ape brain doesn't remember to do that when I'm mindlessly clicking links on youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Echoherb View Post
    I always click on a video or link on youtube, then see something else more interesting in the recommended list right after I click, but when I click back the recommended list changes and I have to try to search for it again.

First world problems
    Doesn't change for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate the recommended feature all together, especially when it's recommended based off some bullshit unrelated you also weren't especially interested until you watched found out and promptly exited.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I hate the recommended feature all together, especially when it's recommended based off some bullshit unrelated you also weren't especially interested until you watched found out and promptly exited.
    Yeah, my recommended often gets filled up with cringe comps and other stupid shit I happened to watch once

Deleted
    Can relate. It's been completely bonkers ever since I registered here.

Disagree. If retention wasn't occurring, they wouldn't employ a recommender.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noipmahc-omm View Post
    Disagree. If retention wasn't occurring, they wouldn't employ a recommender.
    Or, they have revenue to promote and they want to recommend it to you anyways based on whatever wide net they caste in their tags.

10+ Year Old Account
    Click the 3 dots, click not interested, and if you want, go further and use the "tell us why" bit and you can submit reasoning.

Deleted
    Recommendations are bshit anyways - for me they are NEVER accurate. I never once clicked on recommendation and probably never will the idea of them sickens me almost as much as spam mails.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoherb View Post
    Yeah but my ape brain doesn't remember to do that when I'm mindlessly clicking links on youtube
    Always do it (open videos in new tabs), then it won't be something you have to remember. Worst case you only have one video you want to see and you just close the tab to get to the one you opened up. In any other case it's a time saver (and frankly if you get the keybinds down it's probably equal or better for a single video too).
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

Or, they have revenue to promote and they want to recommend it to you anyways based on whatever wide net they caste in their tags.
    No. Sorry. Working in the field, there is a reason why recommenders are hot. Though one of the reasons why YouTube employs recommendations is a crawling defense mechanism, it still doesn't change the fact that it is there to help people discover new content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noipmahc-omm View Post
    No. Sorry. Working in the field, there is a reason why recommenders are hot. Though one of the reasons why YouTube employs recommendations is a crawling defense mechanism, it still doesn't change the fact that it is there to help people discover new content.
    Based on what, you telling me you work in the field doesn't bolster your claim as anything other than an opinion, case and point the videos that are recommended typically are crawling with a huge chunk asking WTF was this recommended to me!

Based on what, you telling me you work in the field doesn't bolster your claim as anything other than an opinion, case and point the videos that are recommended typically are crawling with a huge chunk asking WTF was this recommended to me!
    Based on what? I don't know what to say. Imagine saying that advertising in itself isn't effective because you don't see the statistics. The goal is to share content in the most opportune time. It doesn't matter if it's an advertisement on television, a video recommendation you might like on YouTube, your next song on Pandora, etc. One of those examples is entirely reliant on recommendations and thus it's obvious that the sole benefactor isn't the company.

As for WTF is recommended to you--it's simple, that something that was recommended to you is based on you yourself. You clicked on that whiny shit Paul Watson, you get that nutjob Alex Jones because based on everything you've done, you are not a snowflake, you are part of a cluster of lemmings. You very likely will love Alex Jones.