Poll: Do you like Warcraft's lore?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    WoD was atrocious. The story was passable; they should have just gone all the way with the time travel stuff than this wishy washy nonsense. Pretending the expansion didn't happen was even worse than it happening. And this was all done to justify Gul'dan?

Well, we went from that... to Legion. Where Blizzard is finally introducing new story elements and building things up in a fairly interesting way, bringing everything full circle and having real character development on a large scale. Legion is, to say the least, impressive. But until I see where it ends I can't truly say if I like it.

As for the the other expansions and base game... in general, I feel like vanilla had an immersive universe (extremely so) but a very simple story -- if one at all. TBC had a pretty shallow story and made poor use of its assets. WotLK had very good storywriting for modern Blizzard; it may not have been highly compelling, but it was highly entertaining. Cataclysm was hot garbage. MoP involved a fairly compelling (and in my biased opinion, entertaining and immersive) story.

My opinion on WoW's lore in a nutshell, but Legion is promising and I look forward to seeing where Blizzard takes things next. Oddly, as soon as Metzen left the story got interesting... let's just call it a coincidence for now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. It gets silly sometimes and I may not be on board with the direction 100% but generally I'm still happy with it. I just want to see how it'll all end if it ever does.

Deleted
    "I never liked it." proceeds to post on lore forums

Tbh while this comment of mine doesn't really contribute to the discussion I really want to mention that it is really pleasant for me to read all the positive posts on this thread. It usually seems like MMOCHAMP forum and the WoW community in general seems to dislike the newer lore. Pretty nice to see so many people who still like the lore. Sidenote, I don't think we shouldn't criticize the lore as it's NOT flawless but I still find the amount of positivity quite nice.

Deleted
    WoD pretty much destroyed the whole WC lore.

No problem with having many worlds, also elemental planes, etc... but also adding alternative timelines is just bullshit.

I still don't know if there is just an alternative-timeline sargeras, etc...

Yes.

I honestly don't fucking know why though. Maybe it's because there's a part of me that enjoys poorly written shit that has an odd charm about it.
    Last edited by Erbel; 2017-07-13 at 08:47 PM.

Liked it more in Warcraft3 where things weren't so black and white, and villains actually felt like a threat.
    (Also some races, like night elves were a lot cooler in War3.)

It's probably just me and maybe few others, but big turn-off for me atm is how villains are handled in WoW.
    Really don't enjoy this forced feeling that we're some unstoppable superheroes who can overcome everything.
    Also not really a fond of all this meme culture seeping into WoW but I guess you can't fight it at this rate.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy it but I find myself often disappointed with some of lore decisions they make.

I loved the setting of Warcraft, but Blizzard is really pruning it by killing off so many characters, side stories, etc. and their focus on the "A story" is really disheartening. The advent of player character importance has not helped at all—now we just have the worst plot holes imaginable, but everyone is a superhero now so whatever.

It is almost as if Blizzard is incapable of moving a story forward aside from making it "bigger" yet diminishing the lore as a whole.

The Death Knight campaign and Bolvar's shady agenda has sparked my interest for the time being. I hope they don't kill him off too quickly.

Class specific lore is enjoyable and they provided a lot of that this expansion. I'm much more interested in the class stuff than Illidan and the Demon Hunter junk.

Lore's never been perfect, they've made many mistakes (cough, basically all the TBC bosses, cough), but it's the franchise that got me into fantasy, and into storytelling. I'll always love it in some form.

7+ Year Old Account
    The lore is usually pretty solid, they do have some mistakes but still pretty good.
    Its funny that I actually stopped playing WoW but still love all the lore/story updates on the game.

Deleted
    I was obsessed with it, the peak reaching with WOTLK. It dived a little when Cata came out all fractured and all over the place and it went slowly downhill. War Crimes flat out made me stop caring. The premise was so godawful, and combined with years of bad stories, horde bias, terrible characters like Garrosh, Anduin, Green Jesus, I just could not handle it anymore. Nowadays I look at it in the same vein as comic books, just admire the spectacle and don't think too much about it because clearly the people in charge didn't either.

That said I love Warcraft I --- WOTLK chain with all my heart. What came afterwards? Meh, some good moments like mainland Pandaria but overshadowed by a whole LOT of dung.
    Last edited by mmoced97bdb943; 2017-07-14 at 02:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm more and more down on it. Granted this is less the lore's fault and more people like Lore's fault. Retcons and additions I disagree with (starcraft added via void lords. illidan bullshit, the army of light being already formed and ON FUCKING ARGUS) plus I'm fairly sure the nightmare that is wod has been officially made the real past and not just an alternative 1955
    Wrath baby and proud of it

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorebelly da Warboss View Post
    I was obsessed with it, the peak reaching with WOTLK. It dived a little when Cata came out all fractured and all over the place and it went slowly downhill. War Crimes flat out made me stop caring. The premise was so godawful, and combined with years of bad stories, horde bias, terrible characters like Garrosh, Anduin, Green Jesus, I just could not handle it anymore. Nowadays I look at it in the same vein as comic books, just admire the spectacle and don't think too much about it because clearly the people in charge didn't either.
    I agree War Crimes was a terrible book written by an excellent author. I mean Christie Goldengave us Lord of the Clans, Rise of the Horde, Beyond the Dark Portal and Arthas all good fantasy books for being set in a video game universe and then .... War Crimes.. really? The book is not terribly written its just so absurd. They really jumped the shark with that shit

Also anything by Richard A Knaack is PURE garbage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    I agree War Crimes was a terrible book written by an excellent author. I mean Christie Goldengave us Lord of the Clans, Rise of the Horde, Beyond the Dark Portal and Arthas all good fantasy books for being set in a video game universe and then .... War Crimes.. really? The book is not terribly written its just so absurd. They really jumped the shark with that shit

Also anything by Richard A Knaack is PURE garbage.
    I wanna blame war crimes on her hand being forced. There's no way to push the forgiveness arc blizzard wanted to roll with and have it come across as anything good. Maybe pushing it as a shado-pan thing and isolationism reaching out to punish us one more time for coming to pandaland might have helped but overall there was no saving the trial of garrosh
    Wrath baby and proud of it

I like the setting and the aspects of the world building of it more than the actual storylines. Also Blizzard's characters look very cool.

7+ Year Old Account
    I used to love it but IMO they killed it in WoD.

Yup. One of my favourite sources of lore.

So far just about every retcon has only improved the lore. I do wish for a bit more consistency, but most retcons are honestly filling in information we didn't have/know rather than changing what we knew.

wheres the "i love the lore" option

Yes.

As others said, i don't agree with all but i'm still interested in what's going on.